Insulin resistance reduced by all vegetable diet

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It isn't. Although it might depend how many daily grammes of carbohydrate you would consider low carb. Personally, I need to keep my carb intake at about 20g daily and there is no way I could do that without the carb free foods, none of which is an option for vegetarians let alone vegans.

I am veggie and manage to have a low carb diet - less than 30g carb a day (but typically I have between 20 - 25g a day) .
My huge pile of salad at lunch was less than 7g carb and most of those were from the olives :)

have a look in the veggie diet forum

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Personally I keep feet in both camps, lots of low carb vegetables and mostly farmer supplied meats and market or Morrisons supplied fish in the main. I just asked my wife if she has changed the chilli recipe since I got diagnosed, which contains red kidney beans - no change. My type of diabetes was / is beige / fruit fructose related, definitely not red meat or fish as these have remained constant. Whichever protocol is used low gi and variety are in my view very important.

Reactions: eggs11

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You might start a thread asking people the colour of their diabetes!!! Just now I think mine is black.
Mine is Blue with purple spots on it. And bells and whistles too!

I've got a bike.you can ride it if you like
Its got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good.

RIP Syd Barrett.

Hotpepper20000

I am veggie and manage to have a low carb diet - less than 30g carb a day (but typically I have between 20 - 25g a day) .
My huge pile of salad at lunch was less than 7g carb and most of those were from the olives :)

have a look in the veggie diet forum
While I respect your choice to be veggie,I don’t understand how you wouldn’t be hungry with out some kind of fat or protein to sustain you.
I’m not trying to argue just genuinely want to know.
For me eating full fat and low carb was key in keeping me from being hungry all the time and lowering my BG

Last edited:
Reactions: Guzzler

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
While I respect you choice to be veggie I don’t understand how you wouldn’t be hungry with out some kind of fat or protein to sustain you.
I’m not trying to argue just genuinely want to know.
For me eating full fat and low carb was key in keeping me from being hungry all the time and lowering my BG

I’m mostly veggie and keep to 30g carbs a day. I eat a little fish but not daily. Most of my protein comes from eggs and tofu :)

Reactions: eggs11

Hotpepper20000

I’m mostly veggie and keep to 30g carbs a day. I eat a little fish but not daily. Most of my protein comes from eggs and tofu :)
perhaps it’s different for Type 1. But I find that if I don’t have fats in my diet I get very hungry.
Protein and fats keep my insulin resistance low and my BG from spiking.
I admire your way of eating and it must be challenging to come up with meal ideas.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
perhaps it’s different for Type 1. But I find that if I don’t have fats in my diet I get very hungry.
Protein and fats keep my insulin resistance low and my BG from spiking.
I admire your way of eating and it must be challenging to come up with meal ideas.
I eat around 100g fat a day too! Luckily I like cooking, had a gorgeous egg fried cauliflower rice for dinner with cubes of crispy tofu :).

I’m not veggie for fun though. I’m actually allergic to meat :(

Hotpepper20000

I eat around 100g fat a day too! Luckily I like cooking, had a gorgeous egg fried cauliflower rice for dinner with cubes of crispy tofu :).

I’m not veggie for fun though. I’m actually allergic to meat :(

That sounds yummy. I can’t eat any soy products. It makes symptoms of PCOS worse.
I have a colleague who is allergic to meat as well.
Makes it challenging for sure. Good thing you can still eat eggs.

Last edited:
Reactions: LooperCat

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Sorry, can't do without crispy bacon. A juicy T-bone is pretty good too.
I agree. My anaemia wasn't prevented on green veg. I have had to supplement too. It had best be temporary or I'll be buying a butcher shop of my own.
Good job I love liver.

Reactions: Crocodile

Altopo53

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you remain on Metformin, then be aware that this can lead to vit B12 deficiency, and also iron deficient anemia in its own right, add in a vegan diet, and that can spell trouble. If you then cut out processed flour and cereals and bread, then this can lead to folate, B6, and calcium deficiencies too. Please research this diet properly.

If you succeed then you may well be the first vegan to do so in my knowledge, since very few have reported success here in the testimonials section. Vegetarian is not such a problem but still needs supplementing for B12.

Thank you for your info. Will consider monitoring B vitamins closely. Currently I am taking 0,03 mg B12 (250% RDA). Also all others in range of 70 - 150% of RDA.

Reactions: Oldvatr

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So how do you manage for protein?

As Mel posted above tofu is very tasty and a source of protein, as I am no longer vegan I also get protein from dairy products and eggs and nuts (nuts in moderation). I use fats in cooking and salad dressings, dousing my veggies too :) I ensure I dont have too much protein as I find excess protein raises my BG levels about 3 hours after eating and keeps them high.

I am not trying to "convert" anyone but simply giving my own experience as a lifelong veggie and almost 7 years as a low carber. My diabetes is diet controlled only and has been for almost 8 years.

The only advise I would give to all diabetics is to eat to your meter as we are all individuals :)