1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Insulin Resistance Test

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Speedbird, May 8, 2019.

1. Speedbird

Speedbird Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think I understand the information, but I would be grateful for anybody be able to explain this to me in simpler terms
    Thank you C052B1A6-B833-4405-A77E-60222AF6E25C.png

2. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hi @Speedbird, this basically means that you do not have a lot of circulating insulin (anything between around 3 and 5 for insulin), which is great as a preventative measure for other conditions such as high blood pressure and many more and that your body has lots of chance to burn fat (cannot efficiently burn fat in the presence of high circulating insulin). By using a formula (https://www.thebloodcode.com/homa-ir-calculator/ or https://www.mdcalc.com/homa-ir-homeostatic-model-assessment-insulin-resistance) your insulin resistance , also known as HOMA-IR is calculated.

Yours is exceptional, as anything below 1 is a good response. Although your fasting glucose is normal-ish (I prefer) lower, given a choice of your results or mine (fbg circa 4.2, insulin 5.2) I would go for yours, as I believe lower insulin is more important than perhaps a liver dumped fbg.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Must look up my results again.

At first look, you have low insulin production coupled with a higher BG level.
    This suggests that your insulin response isn't working correctly. That is, you should be producing more insulin to lower your BG level.
    Insulin Resistance is where you are producing enough insulin but it isn't working to bring down your BG level.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Is that a "normal" /usual FBG number for you or had you done anything that morning to cause it to be higher?

5. Speedbird

Thank you. So if I am producing enough insulin, why is it no working to bring down the BG? I wonder what other factors could be affecting my readings.

6. Speedbird

Hi Bulkbiker. I fasted for 15 hrs as requested, but I had also been out for my 40 min walk that morning. I drank only water.
    It seems that my body doesn’t like fasting as it tends to raise my blood sugar. I’m still not sure where the glucose comes from as I am extremely low on carbs.

7. LittleGreyCat

From the chart that you posted your insulin production is in the red band for below normal, and your BG is in the high band for above normal.

To me that says that you are not producing enough insulin.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Speedbird

Thank you for that LittleGreyCat. High BS, low producing insulin.

I guess I was looking at the insulin resistance index. Which in the normal range while the others are in the red zone.

9. bulkbiker

Your Insulin resistance score is great but that could be being skewed by the high Fasting glucose.
    I'm unconvinced that fasting insulin is measured often enough for there to be a true reference range so yours looks low but it also moves around just like blood glucose I'm sure maybe depending on what you have eaten.
    A 14 hour pre test fast will probably also have had an impact as your body will produce insulin on demand probably rather than have lots swimming round doing nothing. That could well explain your low figure. Mine has been 3.41 7.85 5.47 over the three tests I've had over the years the lowest was after the longest fasting period but almost 2 years ago the others are more recent and when I would have thought I was more metabolically healthy.. go figure!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. LittleGreyCat

IR Results.jpg My results.

The fasting glucose is way above my normal values so I have no idea what went on there.
    Possibly a liver dump then slow insulin response as I was in nutritional ketosis at the tiem.

11. bulkbiker

This was my last one as we're sharing..! Screenshot 2019-05-08 at 17.22.24.png

Edit to add my own FBG that morning on the Codefree was 5.9 mmol/l

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sarah69

Sarah69 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

How often do you have these tests? Are they routine or do you have to ask for them? Thanks.

13. bulkbiker

These have been done privately through Medichecks..
    I'm afraid you stand very little/no chance of getting them via the NHS.

14. Sarah69

Sarah69 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

15. bisalimo

bisalimo · Active Member

I think your beta cells are not producing enough insulin to cover your carb intake, that's why your fasting BG is a bit high, though your Homa IR is very good and even optimal your Homa B (20 x Fasting Insulin)/(Fasting BG-3.5) = (20 x 2.2)/(6.32-3.5) = 15.60% is too low, the ideal number should be between 70-150%

• Like Like x 1
  16. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Where are you getting the reference ranges for HOMA B please?

17. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Oh and in my searching for homa b I came across this which was a good explanation of HOMA and it’s use

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/6/1487

The last section addresses the importance of viewing IR and B in context with each other and not in isolation. Eg very high sensitivity might appropriately result in low secretion.

18. bisalimo

bisalimo · Active Member

@Mbaker
    Why would you prefer her result to your own? in my opinion your result is better, as it is confirmed by your low and optimal fasting glucose, that's because though your Homa IR is higher, your Homa B is a perfect 148%

19. bisalimo

bisalimo · Active Member

"Where are you getting the reference ranges for HOMA B please?"

it's printed on my lab result

20. Speedbird

Thank you @bisalimo. Although my carb intake is minimal, In a nut shell then, my understanding is that my beta cells are packing up.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook