Insulin Resistance Test

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I understand the information, but I would be grateful for anybody be able to explain this to me in simpler terms
Thank you
C052B1A6-B833-4405-A77E-60222AF6E25C.png

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @Speedbird, this basically means that you do not have a lot of circulating insulin (anything between around 3 and 5 for insulin), which is great as a preventative measure for other conditions such as high blood pressure and many more and that your body has lots of chance to burn fat (cannot efficiently burn fat in the presence of high circulating insulin). By using a formula (https://www.thebloodcode.com/homa-ir-calculator/ or https://www.mdcalc.com/homa-ir-homeostatic-model-assessment-insulin-resistance) your insulin resistance , also known as HOMA-IR is calculated.

Yours is exceptional, as anything below 1 is a good response. Although your fasting glucose is normal-ish (I prefer) lower, given a choice of your results or mine (fbg circa 4.2, insulin 5.2) I would go for yours, as I believe lower insulin is more important than perhaps a liver dumped fbg.

Reactions: Speedbird

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Must look up my results again.

At first look, you have low insulin production coupled with a higher BG level.
This suggests that your insulin response isn't working correctly. That is, you should be producing more insulin to lower your BG level.
Insulin Resistance is where you are producing enough insulin but it isn't working to bring down your BG level.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is that a "normal" /usual FBG number for you or had you done anything that morning to cause it to be higher?

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Must look up my results again.

At first look, you have low insulin production coupled with a higher BG level.
This suggests that your insulin response isn't working correctly. That is, you should be producing more insulin to lower your BG level.
Insulin Resistance is where you are producing enough insulin but it isn't working to bring down your BG level.
Thank you. So if I am producing enough insulin, why is it no working to bring down the BG? I wonder what other factors could be affecting my readings.

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is that a "normal" /usual FBG number for you or had you done anything that morning to cause it to be higher?

Hi Bulkbiker. I fasted for 15 hrs as requested, but I had also been out for my 40 min walk that morning. I drank only water.
It seems that my body doesn’t like fasting as it tends to raise my blood sugar. I’m still not sure where the glucose comes from as I am extremely low on carbs.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you. So if I am producing enough insulin, why is it no working to bring down the BG? I wonder what other factors could be affecting my readings.

From the chart that you posted your insulin production is in the red band for below normal, and your BG is in the high band for above normal.

To me that says that you are not producing enough insulin.

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
From the chart that you posted your insulin production is in the red band for below normal, and your BG is in the high band for above normal.

To me that says that you are not producing enough insulin.

Thank you for that LittleGreyCat. High BS, low producing insulin.

I guess I was looking at the insulin resistance index. Which in the normal range while the others are in the red zone.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for that LittleGreyCat. High BS, low producing insulin.

I guess I was looking at the insulin resistance index. Which in the normal range while the others are in the red zone.

Your Insulin resistance score is great but that could be being skewed by the high Fasting glucose.
I'm unconvinced that fasting insulin is measured often enough for there to be a true reference range so yours looks low but it also moves around just like blood glucose I'm sure maybe depending on what you have eaten.
A 14 hour pre test fast will probably also have had an impact as your body will produce insulin on demand probably rather than have lots swimming round doing nothing. That could well explain your low figure. Mine has been 3.41 7.85 5.47 over the three tests I've had over the years the lowest was after the longest fasting period but almost 2 years ago the others are more recent and when I would have thought I was more metabolically healthy.. go figure!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
IR Results.jpg
My results.

The fasting glucose is way above my normal values so I have no idea what went on there.
Possibly a liver dump then slow insulin response as I was in nutritional ketosis at the tiem.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This was my last one as we're sharing..!
Screenshot 2019-05-08 at 17.22.24.png

Edit to add my own FBG that morning on the Codefree was 5.9 mmol/l

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
How often do you have these tests? Are they routine or do you have to ask for them? Thanks.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How often do you have these tests? Are they routine or do you have to ask for them? Thanks.
These have been done privately through Medichecks..
I'm afraid you stand very little/no chance of getting them via the NHS.

bisalimo

I think I understand the information, but I would be grateful for anybody be able to explain this to me in simpler terms
Thank you View attachment 32790
I think your beta cells are not producing enough insulin to cover your carb intake, that's why your fasting BG is a bit high, though your Homa IR is very good and even optimal your Homa B (20 x Fasting Insulin)/(Fasting BG-3.5) = (20 x 2.2)/(6.32-3.5) = 15.60% is too low, the ideal number should be between 70-150%

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think your beta cells are not producing enough insulin to cover your carb intake, that's why your fasting BG is a bit high, though your Homa IR is very good and even optimal your Homa B (20 x Fasting Insulin)/(Fasting BG-3.5) = (20 x 2.2)/(6.32-3.5) = 15.60% is too low, the ideal number should be between 70-150%
Where are you getting the reference ranges for HOMA B please?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh and in my searching for homa b I came across this which was a good explanation of HOMA and it’s use

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/6/1487

The last section addresses the importance of viewing IR and B in context with each other and not in isolation. Eg very high sensitivity might appropriately result in low secretion.

bisalimo

@Mbaker
Why would you prefer her result to your own? in my opinion your result is better, as it is confirmed by your low and optimal fasting glucose, that's because though your Homa IR is higher, your Homa B is a perfect 148%

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Thank you @bisalimo. Although my carb intake is minimal, In a nut shell then, my understanding is that my beta cells are packing up.