Insulin resistance?

Mark-optimistic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has ever encountered insulin resistance.

I have been on nova rapid for just over two years now since my diagnosis and it's worked fine.

Recently I have found my insulin seems to be less effective as I am getting higher readings.

I woke up last night with high blood sugar, took a bit of insulin and then awoke to a hypo. Nightmare right?

Any suggestions (up my lantus?)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm having the same issues and chalking it up to cold dark weather. Nothing else has changed. I just started a thread on potentially taking. Audit of lantus during the day but I'm scared I'll hypo.

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
After being T1 for 44 years I lost around 12st in 6 months due to insulin intolerance worries (after being on around 130 units a day at peak but well controlled).
Now on a fraction of that but far more sensitivity due to less fat to absorb effect bur harder to control due to increased sensitivity
The amount of insulin I've injected 6 times a day for 44 years is staggering so I wouldn't worry too much if I was you.

ChrisM28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The amount of insulin I've injected 6 times a day for 44 years is staggering so I wouldn't worry too much if I was you.[/QUOTE]
That is actually very helpful, thank you. My husband's sensitivity to insulin has changed radically recently like the OP, we'll work it out eventually. How on earth did you cope with doses as high as that? Your carb to insulin ratio must have been crazy? I'm having issues with 1:4 but hearing that you managed does give me hope!

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
Doses as high as I was taking were necessary because for for 30+ years I've ate and drank as I pleased and just injected whatever was needed to counter the carbs.
I would think nothing of 10 or 15 pints on a night out and a 5 course curry etc or drinking 15 coffees a day with 2 sugars and full fat milk in each cup.
Now a night out I'd struggle to drink a couple of pints all night (once in a while) and something small and light to eat and that's me stuffed!
Meals out are usually kids meals.
I've just joined a gym to maintain the weight loss and paid a year upfront as one of the incentives to go as well as volunteering for my works next (charity) calender (Mr July) so need to focus on toning up.
Sensitivity is the ongoing battle now instead of worrying over gradual insulin intolerance/resistance.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChrisM28

ChrisM28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Doses as high as I was taking were necessary because for for 30+ years I've ate and drank as I pleased and just injected whatever was needed to counter the carbs.
I would think nothing of 10 or 15 pints on a night out and a 5 course curry etc or drinking 15 coffees a day with 2 sugars and full fat milk in each cup.
Now a night out I'd struggle to drink a couple of pints all night (once in a while) and something small and light to eat and that's me stuffed!
Meals out are usually kids meals.
I've just joined a gym to maintain the weight loss and paid a year upfront as one of the incentives to go as well as volunteering for my works next (charity) calender (Mr July) so need to focus on toning up.
Sensitivity is the ongoing battle now instead of worrying over gradual insulin intolerance/resistance.
Absolutely great that you've turned it around, keep going Mr July.

Reactions: buckmr2