Insulin resistant

AnneBoyce

I was taken seriously ill in January and ended up in hospital for 8 days. While I was there they put me on insulin for the first time as my blood sugar was sky high due to my illness. Since then I've been on ever increasing doses of insulin - i'm now on 50 units twice a day (Humulin M3). My blood sugar however remains stubbornly in the 10-14 range all day no matter what I eat (generally low carb with a few 'naughtier') and it doesn't matter whether I take my insulin or not. I stopped taking it for a week and it made no difference. I've been told I'm highly insulin resistant so my question is - what's the point of taking insulin if it's doing nothing to keep my glucose levels down?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was taken seriously ill in January and ended up in hospital for 8 days. While I was there they put me on insulin for the first time as my blood sugar was sky high due to my illness. Since then I've been on ever increasing doses of insulin - i'm now on 50 units twice a day (Humulin M3). My blood sugar however remains stubbornly in the 10-14 range all day no matter what I eat (generally low carb with a few 'naughtier') and it doesn't matter whether I take my insulin or not. I stopped taking it for a week and it made no difference. I've been told I'm highly insulin resistant so my question is - what's the point of taking insulin if it's doing nothing to keep my glucose levels down?

welcome here Anne Boyce :(
@daisy can send you some basic information that evey new person in here gets

oh I guess you have to rely on your doctors knowing more of this illness, than most... but personally I wouldn´t cheat at all when having very high numbers... it is too dangerous I believe...

but do you maybe have an infection ? or any other kind of illness... ?

Edited by a mod as OP is taking insulin

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's difficult for us to know what the causes may be. If you are overweight then taking insulin may not help much as you may well already have too much. You don't say what your weight/BMI is and it would be useful to know that. There are some rarer types of diabetes that may need to be considered and some other conditions involve drugs which raise blood sugar e.g. steroids. In summary, high insulin resistance implies excess weight but not necessarily so do let us know more. Do continue with the low-carb diet.