insulin resistence in kids?

sus

This is my first time on the forum so I hope I'm writting in the right place!
My son is 9 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 last November. We are carb. counting and I think are doing quite well. Thanks to this system Matteo (and consequently all the family) can eat a greater variety of food stuffs including ice cream and fruit. I would however like to know more about insulin resistence as I have been told to be careful, as clearly eating more carbs. means higher levels of insulin. Matteo is very active and not atall overweight so I find it hard to believe we are doing anything wrong but I would like to hear other opinions!
I hope somone can help,
thanks, sus

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi sus and welcome to the forum :) Some mums may see this and answer your question but some mums only hang out on this forum:

viewforum.php?f=16

so you might get more replies there :)

Snodger

I'm not a mum but have had type 1 for a long time, and have been carb counting since the start (although it wasn't called that when I was diagnosed).

As a general rule, insulin resistance tends be associated with obesity and/or the ageing process (it's more complicated than that of course but that's a basic principle). So unless your son is overweight, he's unlikely to develop insulin resistance.
However, if he eats too many calories ('too many' = eating more than using up), whether those calories come from carbs or fat or protein, he may become overweight and may develop insulin resistance. This is true for everyone of course, not just your son!
It sounds as if you are getting to grips with it and I wouldn't worry too much about upping insulin doses if you need to. The most important thing is to match the insulin to the carbs (just as his body would do automatically if it could).