Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I have never heard of RH turning to LADA.
How can you need insulin with LADA, yet avoid insulin overshoot if you hyper then hypo?
And I thought I was weird!

Could you have been misdiagnosed T2, like I was?

I suspect that Kailee56 is early stage LADA with a pancreas that is misfiring insulin (either too much, too late, or too little followed by too much) which results in the same problems we RHers have. :) But sooner or later, her pancreas just won't be able to produce enough insulin and then she will need to inject it.

Does that sound like what is happening @Kailee56?

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that Kailee56 is early stage LADA with a pancreas that is misfiring insulin (either too much, too late, or too little followed by too much) which results in the same problems we RHers have. :) But sooner or later, her pancreas just won't be able to produce enough insulin and then she will need to inject it.

Does that sound like what is happening @Kailee56?
Yep. My Endo said I am very early LADA. My interpretation, my pancreas is a bit lazy and stupid. It doesn’t make/store enough insulin for a good first phase and then it panics and overshoots the second response. Of course I have found that if the rise is gradual, it is just plain lazy. I recall fasting for 2-3 day’s followed by strict carb restriction to finally get my glucose down below 100 or 5.5 when I first started monitoring myself. Took 5 days total.

The LADA + RH does explain the confusing labs I started with: high fasting, high A1c, high insulin sensitivity, and low border of insulin production. Haven’t decided how I feel about it all yet. If I hadn’t decided to do my own labs after my sister’s diagnosis and then insisted on OGTT with insulin assay, Iwould not be diagnosed and could still see pizza, chocolate, ice cream sodas, and potatoes of any kind as basic food groups. Yes, ignorance can be bliss. On the other hand, I now monitor myself regularly (got the Libra !!!), am becoming better at making low carb equivalent foods, and have started research on insulin management. So by the time I go on insulin (weeks - 6 years seems to be the estimate) I should not be a total idiot. Then my Hypoglycemia will be reactive to my overdoing the insulin.

lindisfel

Expert
The Woo in her second blog post on the Ludwig thread gives some interesting insights into Reactive Hypoglycemia.
D.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi,
It was interesting to read today that Primary Aldosteronism can significantly impair the first phase insulin response!
This is probably the reason I have Reactive Hypoglyceamia.

I am also of the opinion that even though I am extremely low carb....in keto for c.three months I shall not get out of the prediabetic range due to my pancreas being compromised by excessive aldosterone.
If this is the case perhaps I would not have hypos any more, just very high blood glucose on carbs. However I shall not be putting it to the test.
regards
Derek

Last edited:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yep. My Endo said I am very early LADA. My interpretation, my pancreas is a bit lazy and stupid. It doesn’t make/store enough insulin for a good first phase and then it panics and overshoots the second response. Of course I have found that if the rise is gradual, it is just plain lazy. I recall fasting for 2-3 day’s followed by strict carb restriction to finally get my glucose down below 100 or 5.5 when I first started monitoring myself. Took 5 days
The LADA + RH does explain the confusing labs I started with: high fasting, high A1c, high insulin sensitivity, and low border of insulin production. Haven’t decided how I feel about it all yet. If I hadn’t decided to do my own labs after my sister’s diagnosis and then insisted on OGTT with insulin assay, Iwould not be diagnosed and could still see pizza, chocolate, ice cream sodas, and potatoes of any kind as basic food groups. Yes, ignorance can be bliss. On the other hand, I now monitor myself regularly (got the Libra !!!), am becoming better at making low carb equivalent foods, and have started research on insulin management. So by the time I go on insulin (weeks - 6 years seems to be the estimate) I should not be a total idiot. Then my Hypoglycemia will be reactive to my overdoing the insulin.

I do believe that it is more complex than you have been told.
A weak initial insulin response is asymptotic of some endocrine conditions.
It does not ultimately lead to a further condition where you need insulin injections.
I have never heard of having RH and Lada, type T2 and diabetes, yes!
I say this because, it is the second insulin response that causes the hypoglycaemic episode, not the first, the trigger is the high glucose derived from your food and drink, because of the weak initial insulin response. RH in most cases is about the overshoot of insulin. So, if your pancreas does stop production of insulin, your reaction would cease to happen, no hypoglycaemic episodes. Your pancreas is not lazy, as I found too many times, it is over producing, because of interrupted signals and changes the message to your pancreas.
Fasting is very good for RH.
With intermittent fasting, very low carb diet, and good exercise, your control over the condition can be achievable and your health will improve dramatically.
:), of course, according to many endocrinologists, RH does not exist.
So anything is possible.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi,
It was interesting to read today that Primary Aldosteronism can significantly impair the first phase insulin response!
This is probably the reason I have Reactive Hypoglyceamia.

I am also of the opinion that even though I am extremely low carb....in keto for c.three months I shall not get out of the prediabetic range due to my pancreas being compromised by excessive aldosterone.
If this is the case perhaps I would not have hypos any more, just very high blood glucose on carbs. However I shall not be putting it to the test.
regards
Derek
Hi @lindisfel, An endocrinologist might be able to sort that out for you and there maybe treatment for the primary aldosteronism if that is what is found! Best Wishes.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I do believe that it is more complex than you have been told.
A weak initial insulin response is asymptotic of some endocrine conditions.
It does not ultimately lead to a further condition where you need insulin injections.
I have never heard of having RH and Lada, type T2 and diabetes, yes!
I say this because, it is the second insulin response that causes the hypoglycaemic episode, not the first, the trigger is the high glucose derived from your food and drink, because of the weak initial insulin response. RH in most cases is about the overshoot of insulin. So, if your pancreas does stop production of insulin, your reaction would cease to happen, no hypoglycaemic episodes. Your pancreas is not lazy, as I found too many times, it is over producing, because of interrupted signals and changes the message to your pancreas.
Fasting is very good for RH.
With intermittent fasting, very low carb diet, and good exercise, your control over the condition can be achievable and your health will improve dramatically.
:), of course, according to many endocrinologists, RH does not exist.
So anything is possible.
Hi @Lamont D, Is it worth asking your endocrinologist for testing for primary aldosteronism? Maybe there is a treatment if it is found?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Lamont D, Is it worth asking your endocrinologist for testing for primary aldosteronism? Maybe there is a treatment if it is found?
Hi, as far as I'm aware, I do believe that was one of tests, when diagnosis was pending. I asked my endocrinologist at the time, had he done the required tests, which associated with the symptoms I was having, because the tests are to eliminate other pancreatic, hormonal conditions. And according to my endocrinologist and my doctors, I just had RH!

lindisfel

Expert
Hi @lindisfel, An endocrinologist might be able to sort that out for you and there maybe treatment for the primary aldosteronism if that is what is found! Best Wishes.

Hi kitedoc,
Thank you for your kind suggestion. I have been seeing the Endo for four year but it is not something that can be fixed completely unless the tumour is removed which if it is unlateral just one adrenal is removed.
If the problem is bilateral then there is no real fix at all.
I am fully medicated and problems persist.
ATB
Derek.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi kitedoc,
Thank you for your kind suggestion. I have been seeing the Endo for four year but it is not something that can be fixed completely unless the tumour is removed which if it is unlateral just one adrenal is removed.
If the problem is bilateral then there is no real fix at all.
I am fully medicated and problems persist.
ATB
Derek.
Ni @lindisfel, Whilst an adenoma can be removed (but I agree removing both adrenal glands ? how rare? could be tricky), most cases (66%) are, according to Wikipedia, due to enlargement of both adrenal glands and there are some medication treatments for these.