Insulin Treatment And Exercise

dazlyn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arrogance
HI My Names Darren age 44, i love running (about 10 mile a week max,) cylce perhaps once a week and swim once a week. this year started on insulin, prior to this i was treated with metformin, januvia, glimipiride, pioglizazone, however it no longer worked effectively.

initially i went on lantus, after my first run 5k i felt like i had ran a marathon and ached for a week, (this is not normal i wouldnt ache at all) as time and dose increased, my muscles did not recover even with a week rest between a either 1 mile of 5 k races, my muscles became cramping and irritated forcing me to hobble over the London mile race, i was also unalbe to cylcle or swim. my lower joints caused pain, although i had no swelling, my calfs felt like they were going to burst.

I changed to Levemir, which improved things however i was able to run once a week about 1 to 2 mile but unable to increase effort or running twice, but still not as bad as lantus. i was also put on nova rapid and this caused the cramping and muscle irratbility to come back but only after taking it, ie on a morning i felt reasonable ok but hours after taking it i ached (not a normal athletic related ache, wierd to describe). after 2 weeks on novarapid i found myself getting confused day after day, making mistakes and forgetting things, i stopped taking it and improved rapidly

i have now been prescibed hunulin I and this is my first day, but i started feeling really hot and sweaty, and dull ache has come back..

does any sport people out their have similir or is it just me , i am loosing faith now. i do have a friend type 1 who is fine on both levemir and novarapid,

I just dont understand why i react this way and is there any other insulins

regards Darren

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @dazlyn

Do you test your blood sugar when you get the sweats and the forgetful feelings?

I changed from my analogue insulin (Humalog) because of awful aching muscles. I swapped to an animal insulin. There are many different kinds of insulin and some people do have problems.

dazlyn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arrogance
Do you test your blood sugar when you get the sweats and the forgetful feelings?

I changed from my analogue insulin (Humalog) because of awful aching muscles. I swapped to an animal insulin. There are many different kinds of insulin and some people do have problems.

HI Azure , thanks for the reply, yeah i do test very regularly, and my sugars are quite good (at least not hypo), but find that when i talk my DM nurses they always say i have never come across that before, and dont put me at ease, i feel guilty about changing insulins as it all costs money, but today since taking my first humalog i have never stopped itching my core temp rose to 38, and the aches came back, its now 9 hrs after and aches are slowly going, but the itch is still here, really apprehensive of taking a 2nd dose tonight. I am back at my GP`s in the morning i will mention this to them . Are the aches quite common because my nurses really are dismissive about it, and i cant help thnking to myself , why on earth would i make it up.[/QUOTE]

oh and sorry , my brain fog went after stopping the novarapid, memory returned to normal.

Regards Darren

dazlyn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arrogance

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@dazlyn . I'm not sure if this may help. I see you're T2 are you on a lchf diet? As a T1 I've tried cutting carbs on different occasions over the years and I've always struggled with exercise whilst reducing my carb intake. In order to achieve what I want during exercise I simply have to have carbs.
Could your new insulin regime be causing you similar problem's?
Hope you get sorted and back to where you want to be.

dazlyn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arrogance
@dazlyn . I'm not sure if this may help. I see you're T2 are you on a lchf diet? As a T1 I've tried cutting carbs on different occasions over the years and I've always struggled with exercise whilst reducing my carb intake. In order to achieve what I want during exercise I simply have to have carbs.
Could your new insulin regime be causing you similar problem's?
Hope you get sorted and back to where you want to be.

HI , prior to insulin i used to cut carbs a lot, however since changing i just eat a balanced diet, i dont over indulge although i do ensure that i replenish appropriately after exercise, i am not sure what the lchf diet is though ?. since the insulin started, my legs just dont seem to recover to build and adapt to training, it feels like their permanently strained, . many thanks darren

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HI , prior to insulin i used to cut carbs a lot, however since changing i just eat a balanced diet, i dont over indulge although i do ensure that i replenish appropriately after exercise, i am not sure what the lchf diet is though ?. since the insulin started, my legs just dont seem to recover to build and adapt to training, it feels like their permanently strained, . many thanks darren
Low carb high fat. There's a section dedicated to it on the forum. It works wonders for some people more so T2 I believe. Basically ( I'm no expert) you reduce your carbs intake to a very low level, cutting out bread, potatoes, cereals, rice and pasta. For me personally I need approximately 140/180 g of carbs daily to exercise and not feel drained afterwards.
Carb intake may not be a problem if you are eating a balanced diet, check everything else out first with your medical team and then tweak your diet if you're still struggling. Protein is something I have to increase to help me but too much can effect blood sugar.
Check first before making any big changes to your diet. Your medical team should be able to advise you.
Good luck

Reactions: 2 people

dazlyn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arrogance
Low carb high fat. There's a section dedicated to it on the forum. It works wonders for some people more so T2 I believe. Basically ( I'm no expert) you reduce your carbs intake to a very low level, cutting out bread, potatoes, cereals, rice and pasta. For me personally I need approximately 140/180 g of carbs daily to exercise and not feel drained afterwards.
Carb intake may not be a problem if you are eating a balanced diet, check everything else out first with your medical team and then tweak your diet if you're still struggling. Protein is something I have to increase to help me but too much can effect blood sugar.
Check first before making any big changes to your diet. Your medical team should be able to advise you.
Good luck
thank you very much