insulin

sugarfree2

hi i hear about people using different types of insulin i am using novomix i have for two years almost i dont seem to have any trouble with it only hypoed 3 times where i have had to recover myself in almost two years many small hypoes seems to be a lot of people dont stay with novomix cananyone explain to me please aboutthe different types and uses of insulin and does anyone use novomix thank you

scoots

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
I went on novomix when I was first diagnosed, to get some idea of what amount of insulin I might need, then went through a honeymoon period which threw this out of the window. Once out ot the honeymoon period, I went onto long and short acting (in my case at that time levemir and novorapid).
I think using a basal-bolus treatment aims to give more flexibility, so you can have different foods and give insulin to match. It also means that you can eat when you want, even missing a meal without risk of going hypo (which you would be more likely to with novomix).
It really is what works for you - if you've got good control with novomix and it's suiting you, then stick with it. I still keep a supply of novomix (which I had left over when I changed insulins) to use in emergencies (i.e. if I run out of the long-acting insulin) - it doesn't happen very often, but when it does it's a real life-saver!
Jen

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi ken
The "insulins" page on the link you posted needs to be updated. Novo Nordisk discontinued their animal insulin range; Wockhardt (formerly CP Pharmaceuticals) are now the only suppliers of animal insulin in the UK, unfortunately.
Also I'm quite sure Novo Nordisk discontinued the Human Actrapid Penfill.
Jus

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Jus.
Thanks for that. We are notifying the Administrator about this. Let's hope it will get changed fairly soon. Glad somebody is on the ball !! :D

Ken