Interesting report found online

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Linky thing here:

http://www.wheatfoods.org/sites/default/files/atachments/wfcglycemicpt5.pdf

I'm following a low GL diet myself which is basically a Mediterranean type diet substituting slow carbs in place of fast carbs (whole meal for refined pasta etc.) and sticking with nice oily fish and small portions of lean white meat and plenty of fresh "green" veggies.

PS. I'm T2 controlled by diet alone. I'm hoping that getting my weight off and sticking to this diet with exercise will enable me to delay progression onto tablets or insulin...

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
That sounds interesting Paul. Have you managed to get good control on that diet? Did your Doc take you off Metformin?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm a big fan of GI and GL, but I'm very suspicious about a booklet on diabetes from the "Wheat Council".

You can hardly expect impartial advice from people who are basically trying to sell carbs to diabetics.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on DIET ALONE!!! was diagnosed only 1 month ago and am still going through the early appointments :)

anyway, found these interesting articles on the same website:

http://www.wheatfoods.org/sites/default/files/atachments/wfcglycemicpt2.pdf
http://www.wheatfoods.org/sites/default/files/atachments/wfcglycemicind62010.pdf

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well Paul, I think that GI and especially GL are great ways to go about treating your diabetes, but I strongly suggest that you read more widely. These reports are basically cynical marketing propaganda aimed at selling grain products to diabetics. It's a bit like believing a report saying "Fructose is good for you" by the National Sugar Council, or "Smoke more Fags" by the National Tobacco Council.

You're definitely on the right track, but hopefully someone will be able to suggest a better founded reference for you on GI and GL.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Paul a lot of people on the forum regardless of diabetic type would tell you to "Eat to your meter". Regardless of what "style" you choose the bottom line for a T2 diabetic is to choose the route that two hours after eating a meal gives a blood reading less that around 8. There is a lot of research that shows going above 8 (8.5 is the UK NICE guideline) but 7.8 is recommended in most other countries is when complications leading to blindness and amputations WILL begin to occur. You can see the blood glucose levels that the UK recommends here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Now you have choosen the T2 diet only approach that I and many others on the forum choose but that doesn't just mean you can simply select what appears to be a healthy choice if that choice does not get your blood sugar levels down. If you can get them down through a pure low GL route that is great but very few diet only T2's can achieve that. To be blunt many of us would recommend you just cut out a load of bread, rice, pasta, potatoes and cereals and after that worry about glycemic load on what little remains.

My meter tells me for example I can tolerate ONE level tablespoon of boiled white rice and TWO level tablespoons if its low GL brown basmati rice cousin. Big deal! I have a similar pathetic tolerance (25g) when applied to white pasta and brown or tri coloured pasta. I have NO tolerance to bread be it white or wholemeal although I can eat ONE slice of burgen soya bread in anyone meal so long as what I have with it is effective zero carbs. I also take 1500mg of Metformin to help me get that pittance of a tolerance for starchy foods. Now you might be lucky and may have a higher tolerance of things and thats why getting a meter is important, far more important than any "style" at this time. Even the toughest of us diet only T2's can probably only do 3 or 4 level tablespoons of brown basmati rice especially at the point when we were newly diagnosed.

Sorry if that sounds shocking but that is the truth about T2D and one that is rarely spelt out by the HCP's in this country. On the plus side if you lose weight you will consequently lose insulin resistance and then you MIGHT regain some extra tolerance to carbohydrates but that depends on how long and how high your blood sugar levels were running high before diagnosis. That is what T2D means. It means you can no longer process carbohydrates effectively because you have got a combination of insulin resistance (the insulin you produce doesn't work effectively) brought about normally by being overweight and a loss of insulin production capability which will be permanent because high blood glucose levels have killed off an amount of insulin producing Beta cells in your pancreas and they don't regenerate.

You are right to think that the diet (regime) you chose is the best and most effective thing you can do. Chosing the right diet is ten times as effective as any diabetic drug but the keywords are RIGHT DIET. Low GL is a good start but it is not the be all and end all of it. Again without wishing to sound aggressive. I and others choose the right diet. I was diagnosed just 5 months ago with an HbA1c of 11.3%. I reduced that to 5.3% in 3 months. My doctor is eccstatic; his words "You have put your diabetes into remission". I now run my blood glucose levels in the same range as a healthy non diabetic person so between 4 and 6 for 98% of the time which is just as the NICE guidelines say I should. I normalised my cholesterol in the same period and my blood pressure and lost 20kg (3 Stone) in weight by making the RIGHT DIET choice. I have done that by cutting out carbohydrate, pure and simple. I am not "cured" if I eat a normal portion of rice or pasta of whatever GL then BOOM my levels go straight through the roof.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not chosen the diet only route... that has been chosen for me.

I have taken the lead in getting myself a BG meter and this is past 3 days since starting the meter:

26/5/2012 17:24 11.0 check reading
27/5/2012 08:20 11.5 had only just had brkfst
27/5/2012 14:37 7.7 post midday meal
27/5/2012 20:55 7.4 post Sunday dinner (lean pork, roasted veggies, rst sweet potato, broccoli)
28/5/2012 05:44 7.8 pre bkfst (fasted)
28/5/2012 17:17 5.7 pre-dinner
28/5/2012 19:48 6.5 post dinner chicken mayo plus tomato/feta salad plus bean salad

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Paul_c said:
I have not chosen the diet only route... that has been chosen for me.

I have taken the lead in getting myself a BG meter and this is past 3 days since starting the meter:

26/5/2012 17:24 11.0 check reading
27/5/2012 08:20 11.5 had only just had brkfst
27/5/2012 14:37 7.7 post midday meal
27/5/2012 20:55 7.4 post Sunday dinner (lean pork, roasted veggies, rst sweet potato, broccoli)
28/5/2012 05:44 7.8 pre bkfst (fasted)
28/5/2012 17:17 5.7 pre-dinner
28/5/2012 19:48 6.5 post dinner chicken mayo plus tomato/feta salad plus bean salad

Looks like an excellent start...

KimsMum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude and lying people, people who abuse others, specially kids and animals :banghead:

fish chips with mushy peas :) :)
thanks a lot for this information. I am struggling with my weight, specially i can't exercise because I am disabled and wheel chair bound.