Interesting study on time restricted feeding

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They have 3 groups: eTRF, mTRF, and a control group

eTRF have an early 8 hour eating window - 6am to 3pm
mTRF have a later 8 hour eating window - 11am to 8pm

They found that that eTRF worked much better and improved insulin sensitivity and lowered fasting glucose. over mTRF.

I know most people like to have the largest meal of the day in the evening - it is when families are generally together, so skipping "dinner" is a difficult pill to swallow - but might be worth a try for 1 or 2 months to see if it helps.

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another one: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32729615/

Conclusions: Under free-living conditions, eTRF improves whole-body insulin sensitivity and increases skeletal muscle glucose and BCAA uptake. The metabolic benefits of eTRF are independent of its effects on weight loss and represent chronic adaptations rather than the effect of the last bout of overnight fast.

• Informative
Reactions: jpscloud

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I have used a TRF like the MTRF since shortly after being Diagnosed, so since late summer of 2019.
Even with just my wife and me, I would find the ETRF almost impossible to do continuously, however I may be able to do it a few times per month when we have a big lunch with friends,

Reactions: MissMuffett

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Oh, just saw that the second study seems to conclude that there is no point n only doing ETRF occasionally.
- Pity.

• Informative
Reactions: jpscloud

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
They have 3 groups: eTRF, mTRF, and a control group

eTRF have an early 8 hour eating window - 6am to 3pm
mTRF have a later 8 hour eating window - 11am to 8pm

They found that that eTRF worked much better and improved insulin sensitivity and lowered fasting glucose. over mTRF.

I know most people like to have the largest meal of the day in the evening - it is when families are generally together, so skipping "dinner" is a difficult pill to swallow - but might be worth a try for 1 or 2 months to see if it helps.
Interesting as I always thought that eating early effectively raises insulin more than later eating!
I tend to eat only between the hours of (earliest) midday and (latest) 5pm so I wonder where that puts me!

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting as I always thought that eating early effectively raises insulin more than later eating!
I tend to eat only between the hours of (earliest) midday and (latest) 5pm so I wonder where that puts me!
Hmm - the way I read it, eTRF improves insulin sensitivity, so insulin is raised and your body is reacting to it more effectively.

I could be wrong here though.

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have used a TRF like the MTRF since shortly after being Diagnosed, so since late summer of 2019.
Even with just my wife and me, I would find the ETRF almost impossible to do continuously, however I may be able to do it a few times per month when we have a big lunch with friends,
How do you find mTRF working for you now (assuming you still do it). What is your regimen?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Ino longer get hungry in the mornings, so I never eat in the morning (i.e. before 12 AM). Because of commitments on weekdays I eat 2 meals per day (call them lunch and dinner) but on weekends I only eat one meal per day OMAD (wife and I call it 'Linner') timing is that it starts between 15:30 and 16:30 unless we are entertaining, in which case it is delayed until 18:30 in order to meet with guests' expectations.

I'm not usually feeling particularly hungry before a 'Linner', but delaying it by another 2 to 3hrs means I do feel hunger before the meal when entertaining.

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ino longer get hungry in the mornings, so I never eat in the morning (i.e. before 12 AM). Because of commitments on weekdays I eat 2 meals per day (call them lunch and dinner) but on weekends I only eat one meal per day OMAD (wife and I call it 'Linner') timing is that it starts between 15:30 and 16:30 unless we are entertaining, in which case it is delayed until 18:30 in order to meet with guests' expectations.

I'm not usually feeling particularly hungry before a 'Linner', but delaying it by another 2 to 3hrs means I do feel hunger before the meal when entertaining.

What about your glucose levels though. Do you find it helps? Any other advantages?

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m similar to you @ianf0ster I don’t eat until 12 noon although I do have 700ml of coffee with a drop of double cream at about 8:30 and the challenge I’m on at the moment is stop eating by 7pm.
Now this post gets me thinking I might push the boundaries a bit and try 11:30 - 4pm. I say 11:30 instead of 11 as I’m usually walking and showering my 2 dogs from 10:30-11:30. Although another challenge might be eating 2 meals so close together o_O

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!

That's interesting too @ianf0ster ! Could that be because you are mentally expecting your meal by 4.30/5.30pm and have delayed it perhaps

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My usual eating window is any time after 12 noon but usually 2pm ish (a small amount e.g. homemade soup or some yoghurt or a piece of cheese) and dinner with my husband around 6pm. I don't eat until I'm hungry and think this is an enormous part of working out a long-term eating plan. I'm not hungry in the mornings, and no matter how much one survey claims it's better for me to eat then, I'm not going there. We each have to do what suits us as individuals, and if this differs from the conclusions drawn by one survey, then it's up to us to judge our more sensible preferences. Similarly, social mores have to be taken into account, as they are a big life driver and go a long way to making us happy with our decisions.

• Agree
Reactions: coby

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My usual eating window is any time after 12 noon but usually 2pm ish (a small amount e.g. homemade soup or some yoghurt or a piece of cheese) and dinner with my husband around 6pm. I don't eat until I'm hungry and think this is an enormous part of working out a long-term eating plan. I'm not hungry in the mornings, and no matter how much one survey claims it's better for me to eat then, I'm not going there. We each have to do what suits us as individuals, and if this differs from the conclusions drawn by one survey, then it's up to us to judge our more sensible preferences. Similarly, social mores have to be taken into account, as they are a big life driver and go a long way to making us happy with our decisions.

I agree - we have to change our eating habits somewhat as diabetics, but we can't let it take the joy out of life too.

Not to be pedantic - this was not a survey - but rather a clinical study

Last edited:
Reactions: Gargoyletaz