1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Interview with Dr David Unwin

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Indy51, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I LOVE this man!!! He's so rational, so reasonable, so curious, so humble and so unassuming - I really wish he was my GP!

Great interview with Dr Unwin, Dr Shawn Baker and Zach Bitter on the Human Performance Outliers podast. Dr Unwin talks about this forum quite often during the interview:

https://humanperformanceoutliers.libsyn.com/episode-52-dr-david-unwin

• Like Like x 8
  2. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm very fortunate to have met Dr Unwin a few times now, and I have to say that what you see (and hear in these interviews) is just exactly what you get.

I just find it so heartwarming to hear, time and again, how he has grown thanks to the growth of his patients, and how for him, his patients' positive journeys have led to a more positive professional outlook for himself.

Whadda bloke!

David Unwin for PM!! (OK, maybe not that, but you get the drift. :) )

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank you @Indy51, I really enjoyed the podcast. It gave me great hope for the future of health and I am hoping some of its magic will persuade health providers in South Australia as well as elsewhere to encourage patients to discover what is possible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Thanks, the whole series will educate for days on all aspects of diabetes, cholesterol etc:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoHYZAoWPc-m6NM6gWhJRjw/videos?disable_polymer=1

• Like Like x 1
  5. pdmjoker

pdmjoker Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

He is great: humble, helpful, informative and amusing. He has a refreshing view of the doctor/patient relationship which I'm sure is effective, too. And he asks "Why is this person unwell?" - quite radical!

Funny diabetes.co.uk thought him a troll and banned him when he first offered to support the low carb community! :)

6. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Really? I don't remember that.

7. briped

briped Type 2 · Well-Known Member

"Secret society" :hilarious: Wonderful podcast, and I too loved the bit where a couple of staff actually went to investigate him for trolling on this forum, + I fit his description of a highly motivated T2 to a 'T' (badly managed and being threatened with insulin). Thanks for people like him.

• Like Like x 1
  8. desidiabulum

desidiabulum · Well-Known Member

All too true, alas. Nice to think we have made some progress since then...

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Boo1979

Boo1979 Other · Well-Known Member

I do - it was about 5 years ago - I Was under a different user name at the time

10. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

He tells the tale quite often especially when Arjun and Charlotte are in the audience!
    I think he was one of the first HCP's to join..

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook