Introduce Yourself: Answer Some Personal Questions

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Amanda61

You say you are feeling dizzy do you know what your numbers are, and are you testing, and can you give us an idea of what you are eating on an average day.

Neil

I have been on a protein/low G I diet as im overweight. I have cut out all fattening foods and eat loads of pulses and lentils. Fruit and Veg
But i'm still struggling. So i don't know what i'm doing wrong.:(

Reactions: 2 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi @Amanda61 & welcome to the forum, you have certainly come to the right place for lots of help and information plus a lot of support.

I will tag @daisy1 , she will be along with a long list of very helpful information we give to all new members.

Please look a round the forum and don't be afraid to ask what ever questions you need to.

Don't panic as it will take a while for you to get your head around all this.

Neil

Hi @Amanda61 and welcome to the forum :) Have a look at the link in my signature which leads to the basic information for new members which I hope you will find useful. If you need any help or advice I suggest you start your own thread and members will see your post more easily.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on a protein/low G I diet as im overweight. I have cut out all fattening foods and eat loads of pulses and lentils. Fruit and Veg
But i'm still struggling. So i don't know what i'm doing wrong.:(
Hi Amanada,

Most on here follow a 'Low Carb High Fat' diet, because the carbohydrates turn to Glucose and raise your blood sugars. Most are losing weight on this diet.

You mention that you have a lot of pulses, you may find that if you were testing before eating your BG's then 1hr after then 2hrs we would expect the difference to be no more than 2mmol/L, but I would suspect that the pulses will be raising your BGs, but you will never know unless you test.

There are lots of women on here have lost stones in very short periods of time following this diet.

Unfortunately the fruit is not a good option either, I was diagnosed Pre Diabetic, and I was on a very good diet plenty of fish 3/4 times week, I started on the fruit and after 6 month was diagnosed borderline diabetic. I have now moved to a LCHF diet, lost 1 1/2 stone since October and got my sugar levels out of the diabetic range. Also feel great.

Everyone on here would be recommended to test, then you eat to your meter until you know what foods you can manage or the portion size. I can only tolerate 1/2 an apple, where some would mange a whole one, so I mainly have berries with Full fat Yogurt.

Have a good look around the forum, and hope you followed @daisy1 link, which will give you a lot of very useful information, don't panic just take your time it will get easier and things will start to make sense.

Neil

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But doesn't the high fat increase your cholesterol?
I have changed from everything white to brown.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Amanda61

Getting your head around the High Fat takes some doing as we have been taught for the last 20/30 years don't eat fat. The USA is one of the first that said do not eat fat, all those overweight there got their fat from eating carbs not fat, even in the states hey are now having a rethink.

In 2012 my cholesterol was 5.7 I don't have anything more recent apart from my signature below where you will see the cholesterol could not be better.

If you have a look at @Bluetit1802 's & @kimbo1962 signatures they are great examples for good cholesterol on a LCHF , The High Fat does not mean your are eating fat at every opportunity, but its eating the fat on meat it's having single or double cream with berries. Full Fat Yogurt eating butter instead of spreads. Having egg and bacon and not worrying.

You may want to get Trudi Deakins book just launched £9.99. She's the head of XPERT HEALTH contracted to the NHS for running course and recommending nutrition for diabetics. She has just done a full 'U' turn on what should be recommended her title to the book is EAT FAT its an easy read and explains very simply how eating fat will HELP your cholesterol not increase it.

http://www.xperthealth.org.uk/shop/details/p/handbook-lowcarb-highfat-lifestyle

If you look at the carbs on the brown bread you will probably see 20 25 carbs per slice, you need either 'Hovis seed Sensations' theres 2 so find the right on it's either 13 or 14 carbs per slice or Bergen Linseed & Soya about the same.in carbs.

Bear in mind I am out of the diabetic range but if I have more than 1 Slice, I will spike very high on my BS. Bread is out most the time so is Rice Pasta Potatoes or very small portions.

You need to test

Neil

Reactions: 8 people

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A month ago my cholesterol was 4.9 and the doc said that was high.
During this last month i have been on a high protein/ low GI but i have been struggling during the day.
Plus i think in that month i have only lost 3-4 lbs :(
I have received some marvelous advice here and i will change to low carb/ high fat and i'm
hoping to see a vast result in having more energy and feeling full. Without the dizzyness and tiredness.

Reactions: 4 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A month ago my cholesterol was 4.9 and the doc said that was high.
During this last month i have been on a high protein/ low GI but i have been struggling during the day.
Plus i think in that month i have only lost 3-4 lbs :(
I have received some marvelous advice here and i will change to low carb/ high fat and i'm
hoping to see a vast result in having more energy and feeling full. Without the dizzyness and tiredness.

Stay in touch with the forum, and any questions just ask someone will be there to answer, I notice you havn't mentioned whether you will test your BGs, what I suggest you look round the site you will see many conversations re BGs & testing and how best to do it and how it will help you.
Good luck
Neil
Ps. Cannot remember whether I mentioned another great book Called 'Carbs & Cals' it's all done by photo's of food and dead easy to use if you are carb & calorie counting.

Trace D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name? Tracy
- How old are you? 30
- Are you male or female? Female
- Which country are you from? UK
- Which city/area do you live in? Chester, Cheshire
- Are you religious? No not really
- Pick three words to describe your personality.
- Do you have any pets? No
- Microsoft or Apple? Apple
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
- Do you get angry easily? Sometimes
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Yes ears and belly button piercings and 5 tattoos.
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
- What is your favourite flag?
- Ever gone camping? Yes as a child
- Ever been in love? Yes
- Ever used fake tan? Yes once
- Which countries have you visited?
- Favourite city?
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
- List your five favourite films.
- Are you wealthy?
- Do you work? If so, as what?
- List the subjects you study/have studied.
- What do you like most about yourself?
- What do you like least about yourself?

Have fun!

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Trace D & welcome to the forum, you have certainly come to the right place for lots of help and information plus a lot of support.

I will tag @daisy1 , she will be along with a long list of very helpful information we give to all new members.

Please look a round the forum and don't be afraid to ask what ever questions you need to.

Neil

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi @Trace D & welcome to the forum, you have certainly come to the right place for lots of help and information plus a lot of support.

Neil

@Trace D

Hello Trace and welcome to the forum :) You will find this information by clicking on the link in my signature. I hope you will find it useful.

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stay in touch with the forum, and any questions just ask someone will be there to answer, I notice you havn't mentioned whether you will test your BGs, what I suggest you look round the site you will see many conversations re BGs & testing and how best to do it and how it will help you.
Good luck
Neil
Ps. Cannot remember whether I mentioned another great book Called 'Carbs & Cals' it's all done by photo's of food and dead easy to use if you are carb & calorie counting.

Hi Neil
I will be testing my BG levels. I am at the doctors this week, and I'm hoping
to get one of those testing gadgets. I know I' m in for a lot of blood tests.
But I'm determined to beat this thing, and to stay focused and positive.:)

Reactions: 10 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Neil
I will be testing my BG levels. I am at the doctors this week, and I'm hoping
to get one of those testing gadgets. I know I' m in for a lot of blood tests.
But I'm determined to beat this thing, and to stay focused and positive.:)

Good luck at the doctor's, but don't be put off if you are told not to test and refused a meter and strips on prescription. This is normal in the NHS for type 2's. Most of us buy our own and ignore the "no need to test" lecture.

Reactions: 6 people

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck at the doctor's, but don't be put off if you are told not to test and refused a meter and strips on prescription. This is normal in the NHS for type 2's. Most of us buy our own and ignore the "no need to test" lecture.
Thanks so much x

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a bit confused as to how much of the food you are allowed per meal? Portion control
I have just had 2 rashers of grilled bacon and 2 fried eggs.
I'm going out to replace the fridge and larder with all things high fat . :eek:
I have lots of cereals to use up can i have this with full fat milk and again how much?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would give the cereals a miss. The birds will enjoy them!
You can eat as much as you like providing it isn't carbs. You only need to portion control the carb foods. When I have a fry up I have 3 rashers of back bacon, one egg or two, plus a grilled tomato and loads of mushrooms cooked in butter.

bethanmp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name?
- How old are you?
- Are you male or female?
- Which country are you from?
- Which city/area do you live in?
- Are you religious?
- Pick three words to describe your personality.
- Do you have any pets?
- Microsoft or Apple?
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
- Do you get angry easily?
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
- What is your favourite flag?
- Ever gone camping?
- Ever been in love?
- Ever used fake tan?
- Which countries have you visited?
- Favourite city?
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
- List your five favourite films.
- Are you wealthy?
- Do you work? If so, as what?
- List the subjects you study/have studied.
- What do you like most about yourself?
- What do you like least about yourself?

Have fun!

stratospheric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Worms
Hi :) my name is Gee, just joined here. Im 24, T1. Love cats, tea and stand-up comedy. Im from London. Been diagnosed with diabetes since age of 3. Im not doing very well but trying my best :) I
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1425330025.083885.jpg

#bepositive #satyyourself #loveyourself

mattg82

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
- Include a photo here if you wish to. - Ummm, no thanks, dont want several thousand people screaming at me about broken monitors, lol
- What is your name? - Matt
- How old are you? - 32
- Are you male or female? - Male
- Which country are you from? - United Kingdom
- Which city/area do you live in? - Swindon
- Are you religious? - No
- Pick three words to describe your personality. - Guarded, Sarcastic, Loyal
- Do you have any pets? - 4 snakes - Ifrit, Shiva, Cosmic Quezzy - 4 Frogs - Melvin, Frohike, Alex & Kryczec (The wife is an xfiles fan)
- Microsoft or Apple? - Microsoft, every time!
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? - Used to play rugby but do like watching Pro Wrestling
- Do you get angry easily? - Depends on whats going on.
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? - Dragon head tattoo on upper arm
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. - Stuff like Queen, Meatloaf, Alice Cooper, Bon Jovi etc
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? - Soft Rock
- What is your favourite flag? - Not really got one
- Ever gone camping? - Yup, and didnt like it
- Ever been in love? - Yeah, still am
- Ever used fake tan? - No
- Which countries have you visited? - Wales & Spain
- Favourite city? - Not a city, but would like to get to Isle Of Wight a lot more.
- List your five favourite TV programmes. - Big Bang Theory, Dexter, NCIS, Castle, How To Get Away With Murder
- List your five favourite films. - The Dark Half, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon
- Are you wealthy? - No
- Do you work? If so, as what? - Security Officer
- What do you like most about yourself? - That my friends trust me
- What do you like least about yourself? - The way my body shape makes me feel.

LozMcC

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm Lorraine, 50 years old and type 2 diabetic, I was diagnosed about a year ago, I've been a vegetarian for 35 years and find my diet tends to be too dependent on carbohydrates so I'm looking at ways of rebalancing it. I have osteoarthritis and hyper-mobile joints so find exercising difficult but I need to lose weight, sort out some other health issues and overhaul my lifestyle; the only problem is I'd like to do that without having to change any of my bad habits.

Since life begins at 50 nowadays I'm focusing on doing all the things I put off when my kids were small & have just come back from Iceland, I've also been to Cyprus and Barbados in the last six months & am busy plotting my next adventure. I do find eating the right sort of things at the right time challenging when I'm away, especially given my vegetarian fussiness and foreign diets. I have a penchant for white wine, being a mad cat lady and I'm looking forward to becoming a granny this summer so I need to keep myself fit and healthy for that!