Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Why? Happen to read them all. Have for years

lynnecam1uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name? Lynne Cameron
- How old are you? 59
- Are you male or female?Male
- Which country are you from?Scotland
- Which city/area do you live in?Edinburgh
- Are you religious?no
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Friendly, Honest Open
- Do you have any pets?no
- Microsoft or Apple?nicrosoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?none
- Do you get angry easily? it takes a lot
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? yes on both my arms and the back of my shoulder
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.ramones, duran duran, arrows, bay city rollers, sweet
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Punk
- What is your favourite flag?don't have one
- Ever gone camping?no
- Ever been in love?yes
- Ever used fake tan?no
- Which countries have you visited? FrIance, Greece, USA, Italy, Hungary, Finland, Latvia, Riga and too many more
- Favourite city?Blackpool
- List your five favourite TV programmes.dont watch tv
- List your five favourite films.Four weddings and a funeral, Jack and Sarah, Sound of Music On The Beach, Yield to the Night
- Are you wealthy?no
- Do you work? If so, as what?jobhunting
- List the subjects you study/have studied.n/a
- What do you like most about yourself?n/a
- What do you like least about yourself?n/a

Have fun!

Reactions: Barb McD

Carl Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Everybody
My name is Carl Wood, I am 48 years old and have had Type 1 Diabetes for 36 years now. I live in Macclesfield in Cheshire.
I am Severely Sight Impaired thanks to Diabetes and also suffer from Diabetic Neuropathy.
I have approx 6-8 injections a day. I have also been on a pump for around 6 years but have now gone back to the injections.

That's me
Carl

lynnecam1uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am lynne and 59 I have had type 2 for nearly ten years. I do take medication for it and try my best to handle it. I take tablets and I do try to walk when I go anywhere

lynne

Sunil Gupta

Myself Sunil Gupta, 45/M having type2 diabetes since last 15 years. Yes , i'm taking medication as glimipride 4 mg, metformin hydrochloride 1000 mg, tenegliptin 20 mg and pioglitazone 15 mg per day.

LlewellynR

Hi,
I am a 58 year old male who was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 4 years ago. History of type 2 in maternal family. Diabetes reversed two years ago after following 12 week restricted calorie diet, during which I also lost 11/2 stone. However, have stressful job, ADHD and sleep apnoea ( 18 yrs on CPAP) which has been managed via a bottle of red wine a night for the last thirty years.
This has left me with quite severe neuropathic pain and cramp in feet / lower limbs, which has massively disrupted my already poor sleep.
I have recently given up alcohol ( two months ) and am currently taking metformin. My current average blood sugar is 9mmol/l ( monitoring with self funded Libre disc) and am currently struggling to get levels below 7, although have only restarted diet last week.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Almost nothing :)
Hi everyone! I'm Marcus Grip, 29 year old guy from Sweden, now living in London.

I am super positive and optimistic, energetic and happy!
I love all kinds of extreme sports, have tons of tattoos and a few piercings and I run a Diabetic Youtube channel on my free time.

I have traveled a lot of the world the last decade and work as a videographer :D

PaulDK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Pontificating know-alls
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name? Paul Kennedy
- How old are you? 73
- Are you male or female? thoroughly male
- Which country are you from? Ireland
- Which city/area do you live in? Blackwater, Co Wexford
- Are you religious? Not at all
- Pick three words to describe your personality. self-reliant, skeptical, sincere
- Do you have any pets? No
- Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? None in particular ... enjoy walking and calisthenics immensely
- Do you get angry easily? When it's justified
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? No
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Beatles, Bee Gees, Hollies, Eric Clapton, Angelo Debarre
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Blues
- What is your favourite flag? Irish Tricolour
- Ever gone camping? Yes, many's a time and oft
- Ever been in love? Too many times for my own good
- Which countries have you visited? Canada, USA, Mexico, England, Wales, Scotland, Spain, France, Belgium Holland, Luxembourg, Denmark, Germany, Czech Republic, Italy, Morocco, Algiers, Tunisia, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Syria, Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, The Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Turkey, Ukraine, Thailand, China and a few more I think
- Favourite city? Nice, Cote d'Azur
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Don't watch TV except for news and current affairs
- List your five favourite films. The Sting, Dracula, Casablanca, On the Waterfront, Toy Story
- Are you wealthy? No ... I am busted flat
- Do you work? If so, as what? Retired business consultant ... but still do occasional projects
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Philosophy, economics, fine arts, business studies, accountancy
- What do you like most about yourself? My sense of self-worth despite all the evidence to the contrary
- What do you like least about yourself? My sense of superiority

I was first diagnosed as early onset diabetes about 20 years ago. I failed to heed the advice I was given and developed full-blown type 2 diabetes. Now I began to take Metformin and to follow the dietary advice of my diabetes clinic. However, my diabetes slowly got worse and I developed diabetic neuropathy which had a dreadful effect on my feet ... I ended up being unable to walk for more than a few yards before the pains became unbearable. All this, despite the fact that I had been taking my medications as prescribed and following the dietary advice I had been given. I decided that this conventional treatment was not working and set about researching the matter. I discovered that the basic problem in type 2 diabetes is the fat in our diets ... this fat blocks the receptors in our muscle cells, thus preventing insulin from opening those receptors to allow glucose to enter and be used as energy. This epiphany lead to my devising a diet for myself that cut out all fat as far as possible from the food I was eating. I did so. After a few weeks I began to lose weight rapidly (about 2kg a week). After 6 weeks my blood glucose levels were down to those of a healthy person and I was able to give up my diabetes medications. I kept researching and refined my diet and today my numbers are still good and I am thriving healthwise, and my feet are a lot better. I should add that I do a number of exercises (squats, press-ups and stretches) first thing in the morning and do a lot of walking in the afternoon. Though type 2 diabetes is not curable, it's possible to reverse the symptoms or at least stop them getting worse.

Have fun!

Attachments

• PDK-Consultant.jpg
    PDK-Consultant.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 277

PaulDK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Pontificating know-alls
I'm a pretty energetic type 2 diabetic who has managed to "reverse" his diabetes:

I was diagnosed with early onset diabetes about 19 years ago. I failed to follow the advice I was given and gradually I developed full-blown type 2 diabetes. I was put on Metformin and given dietary advice. I took my meds and followed the prescribed diet, but my health got gradually worse and I developed diabetic neuropathy.

Eventually it came to a stage that I could hardly walk 50 yards before I had to stop due to the pains. I realised that what I was doing to control my diabetes was not working. So, I began to research the matter. I discovered that a main cause of type 2 diabetes is fat blocking the receptors in muscle cells ... I decided that the solution was get rid of the fat from my diet so that the receptors could be opened by insulin to enable glucose to enter the cells and provide energy. So, I went on a rigorous no-fat diet. I lost a tremendous amount of weight.

After about 6 weeks my blood glucose readings were almost "normal" and after 3 months I was able to give up my type 2 diabetes medications and I felt a lot more energetic. I researched the matter further and devised a low-fat, low-carb, low-salt, high fibre and low-GI diet that I have following ever since.

My diet has helped a lot. Sure it was a bit of a struggle but anyone can do it … it is not impossible when you remember that ... all the foods we enjoy, with the exception of mother's milk, are acquired tastes and can with a little willpower, be dis-acquired.