Introduce Yourself: Answer Some Personal Questions

Oil Drum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi friends another newbie let me introduce myself I am a newly diagnosed 60 year old male type 2, just out of a 4 week stay in hospital for a septic arthritis and feeling a bit confused by it all. On 500mg Metformin per day and struggling, My fasting blood glucose levels highish, 2hr post meal levels much too high.
Plan is for the a moment a very strict eye on diet but I guess my Metformin dose will have to be increased in In hospital they changed a couple of times from 500 to 750 then back to 500. Exercise isn't really an option at moment as though mobile I am still not fully recovered and tire quickly.
I am going to need support :)

Reactions: 4 people

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
Hello and welcome to the forum. I struggle with exercise as I'm due to have a knee replacement in a couple of months , take it easy and have a read around the forum

Reactions: 6 people

macivor

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, diagnosed with probable type 2 Oct2014,saw a doctor for 10mins. Eye check Nov 2014 and dietician Dec 2014. It was a routine blood test when the results came back all were fine apart from one.I wasn't told I was getting tested for diabetes so it came as a bit of a shock. I've been reading your forum off and on since then but hadn't the nerve to actually contact it until now. Hello everyone.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Welcome :)

You've come to the right place. What were your figures?

Ask as many questions as you need as there are plenty of us around to help

Mike

Reactions: 2 people

macivor

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mike,
I had only one result and that was 6. I've had no other tests,just been told to sort my diet and I'll see the practise nurse in a year. I asked about testing until then ,I thought I'd asked a difficult question because he looked shocked I'd even asked. Was told they don't do that.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hi macivor :)

Well, with respect that's not particularly good advice. You should request a print out of those figures as presumably it was a HBA1C test and whilst you say it was "6" there's a big difference between a 6.0 and a 6.9 so you're entitled to those details

Are you overweight at all? What is your current diet?

I wouldn't be accepting a one year delay before you see the nurse and yes, you should be testing

Mike

macivor

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mike,
I'm overweight,just under 11st and my diet from 2011 until I was told about T2 wasn't great. The only constant was breakfast- cereal and toast as for the rest of the day well it was comfort food very rarely had a proper meal. Reading on the forum pages since then has helped. The snacking has gone- lower carbs (don't feel like a beached whale anymore) no more choc ices etc. and am eating meat,veg no potatos etc.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Mike,
I had only one result and that was 6. I've had no other tests,just been told to sort my diet and I'll see the practise nurse in a year. I asked about testing until then ,I thought I'd asked a difficult question because he looked shocked I'd even asked. Was told they don't do that.

Hi & Wecome Macivor, @Mike D is correct, you can ask for a print out of your HbA1c test results, they may have also done a fasting glucose test were you asked to go overnight without eating and then had a blood test in the morning. If so they will have that result aslo.

Usually when they do a HbA1c you are also tested for your Liver Function & Kidney Function & Cholesterol, these are all standard tests when you are diagnosed pre or diabetic you should be able to get print outs of all these it's very important.

You don't need to ask the Doctor just ask the receptionist.

Neil

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Well, seems like you've turned this around to a fair degree :)

Good stuff.

macivor

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Blood tests were standard checks and they were apparently fine apart from the diabetic one. I've had no fasting glucose test ,only found about that on these forums. The doc said to get back in touch if I had any problems.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed Pre, similar to you, and really did not know anything, told go away and lose some weight (6ft @ 16st 8lb) so not that bad, lost a stone in 9 months.

Had already a good diet, lot's of fish I cut down on the potatoes but new nothing about Carbohydrates and added fruit and cereal for breakfast Honey all healthy stuff , but not for diabetes.

9 months later I am suffering numbness in the feet now diagnosed with diabetes 6.4, (just borderline) in October 2014.

Come on here lost another 1 1/2 stone now LCHF diet and have come out of the diabetic range 5.9.

Follow what people are doing on here or it will creep up on you.

Neil

Missy Cat

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All! Diagnosed in October 2014 so this is all fairly new. Health care team were unsure if T1 or T2 but just had very recent diagnosis of T3c. Still no where near under reasonable control... basal-Bolus insulin regime.

- What is your name?
Leanne but please call me Lea
- How old are you?
- Are you male or female?
Female
- Which country are you from?
UK
- Which city/area do you live in?
Northwest
- Are you religious?
I believe but don't practice
- Pick three words to describe your personality.
Softhearted, warm, fruit Loop!
- Do you have any pets?
3 dogs, 3 kids and the Hubby!
- Microsoft or Apple?
Recently converted to Apple... Got a Mac for Christmas
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
Running, but not at the moment.
- Do you get angry easily?
Not normally but at the moment yes
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
4 tattoos- foot, back, thigh & wrist
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
Was a real Indie Chick in the early 90s but quite eclectic now. Gotta love Bowling For Soup though!
- Ever gone camping?
Of course... Started with a tent, then a Bongo, then upgraded to a tourer!
- Ever been in love?
Yes and still am with my Rock x
- Ever used fake tan?
Only once, never again. Prefer the pale look these days.
- Which countries have you visited?
Not many... France, Spain, Turkey. I love my home country x
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
Greys Anatomy, Walking Dead, Emmerdale
- List your five favourite films.
Too many to list
- Are you wealthy?
Nope, comfortable though
- Do you work? If so, as what?
Yes, full time. Letting Manager
- What do you like most about yourself?
Physically - My blue eyes and thick hair.
- What do you like least about yourself?
My wobbly bits!!!!

Now it's someone else's turn!

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, diagnosed with probable type 2 Oct2014,saw a doctor for 10mins. Eye check Nov 2014 and dietician Dec 2014. It was a routine blood test when the results came back all were fine apart from one.I wasn't told I was getting tested for diabetes so it came as a bit of a shock. I've been reading your forum off and on since then but hadn't the nerve to actually contact it until now. Hello everyone.

Hi, have you had a glucose tolerance test?

macivor

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, No glucose tolerence test. Went for annual bloods to check I was still tolerateing my meds for Bp and pain relief. The onlyother meds I had before myblood test were steroids and antihistamine.