Introduce Yourself: Answer Some Personal Questions

GJP48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I’m Gail. I’m 68 and live in Leeds. I spent most of my career years working for O2 as a field sales business manager, but now I’m retired I just work part time as a carer, and I took the wrong path,as this is the career path I should’ve taken back in my youth…..but I much prefer part time hours!
my kids are grown, in fact my 3 grandkids are fully grown too. I also mentor a young lady that I met when I managed the local food bank a few years ago.
she was an abused downtrodden young girl of 17, who life had dealt with several bad hands, but I’ve nurtured her through the last few years, and now she has a chile(Lelovely home of her own, I’ve taught her to decorate, and we have built her dself esteem, and she is now a happy young lady of 21, with hopes and dreams of her own. It’s wonderful to see despair changed into hopes and plans for the future, and he treats me like a mum, as her own wasn’t a good one.Now we just have to get her into work, then my job is done. I used to be a church go-er, when I lived in Pontefract, but since moving to Leeds I’ve tried many, but haven’t found one yet that i feel comfortable enough in to make my permanent church.
I don’t have much spare time now I’m working again,but when I have I’m an avid reader- of fiction mainly( I get through about 3 books a week) and in the winter I’m also an avid knitter…….although there’s no kids left in my family now, which is a shame as I prefer to knit smaller stuff. I used to go to a local choir, but there were too many 18th century folk songs, which didn’t do much for me, so I gave it up. I like Crime thriller books. Jack Reacher books are some of my favourites, but any Jack Reacher fans will surely agree that Tom Cruise was a poor choice for the Reacher movie. I’ve recently watched the Reacher series on Netflix, and that was a perfect choice to play Reacher. Cruise was a pretty boy, and Reacher definitely isn’t. I’m a big fan of Jamaica- used to holiday there quite often, but since my retirement I don’t miss holidays now.. To be honest my last holiday was over 10 years ago, but since retiring I’ve time not felt that need to escape. I think it was career pressure that used to make me desperate for a holiday. Im Currently waiting for a new knee, but no idea how long that will take, so I’m just careful. I’ve been type 2 for over 10 years, and for many years I’ve had a very sweet tooth, but for some reason when the weather got hot, my appetite disappeared. I’m drinking lots, but eating very little, and strangely enough I’ve lost my sweet tooth! So for the first time in years I’m getting healthy blood sugar results….amazing!
sometimes I think- now I’m 68- what’s the point, I should just stay home and fade away quietly, but other times I want to fight my way back to the old me.
and right now my sky is broken, they won’t repair it, and want me to upgrade to sky Q, but I must take “2” ! If I insist on only 1, then I have to pay 29.99 for it!
how ridiculous is that? And my Freeview tv is just over 12 months old, and the picture keeps breaking up, so most of the time I have nothing to watch. And without my tv I’m so restless- it’s like I can’t live without it. Some may need a defibrillator, but I just need a well behaved tv!
anyway, nice to meet you, and maybe we will touch base in the future.

D

Deleted member 489048

Hi I’m Gail. I’m 68 and live in Leeds. I spent most of my career years working for O2 as a field sales business manager, but now I’m retired I just work part time as a carer, and I took the wrong path,as this is the career path I should’ve taken back in my youth…..but I much prefer part time hours!
my kids are grown, in fact my 3 grandkids are fully grown too. I also mentor a young lady that I met when I managed the local food bank a few years ago.
she was an abused downtrodden young girl of 17, who life had dealt with several bad hands, but I’ve nurtured her through the last few years, and now she has a chile(Lelovely home of her own, I’ve taught her to decorate, and we have built her dself esteem, and she is now a happy young lady of 21, with hopes and dreams of her own. It’s wonderful to see despair changed into hopes and plans for the future, and he treats me like a mum, as her own wasn’t a good one.Now we just have to get her into work, then my job is done. I used to be a church go-er, when I lived in Pontefract, but since moving to Leeds I’ve tried many, but haven’t found one yet that i feel comfortable enough in to make my permanent church.
I don’t have much spare time now I’m working again,but when I have I’m an avid reader- of fiction mainly( I get through about 3 books a week) and in the winter I’m also an avid knitter…….although there’s no kids left in my family now, which is a shame as I prefer to knit smaller stuff. I used to go to a local choir, but there were too many 18th century folk songs, which didn’t do much for me, so I gave it up. I like Crime thriller books. Jack Reacher books are some of my favourites, but any Jack Reacher fans will surely agree that Tom Cruise was a poor choice for the Reacher movie. I’ve recently watched the Reacher series on Netflix, and that was a perfect choice to play Reacher. Cruise was a pretty boy, and Reacher definitely isn’t. I’m a big fan of Jamaica- used to holiday there quite often, but since my retirement I don’t miss holidays now.. To be honest my last holiday was over 10 years ago, but since retiring I’ve time not felt that need to escape. I think it was career pressure that used to make me desperate for a holiday. Im Currently waiting for a new knee, but no idea how long that will take, so I’m just careful. I’ve been type 2 for over 10 years, and for many years I’ve had a very sweet tooth, but for some reason when the weather got hot, my appetite disappeared. I’m drinking lots, but eating very little, and strangely enough I’ve lost my sweet tooth! So for the first time in years I’m getting healthy blood sugar results….amazing!
sometimes I think- now I’m 68- what’s the point, I should just stay home and fade away quietly, but other times I want to fight my way back to the old me.
and right now my sky is broken, they won’t repair it, and want me to upgrade to sky Q, but I must take “2” ! If I insist on only 1, then I have to pay 29.99 for it!
how ridiculous is that? And my Freeview tv is just over 12 months old, and the picture keeps breaking up, so most of the time I have nothing to watch. And without my tv I’m so restless- it’s like I can’t live without it. Some may need a defibrillator, but I just need a well behaved tv!
anyway, nice to meet you, and maybe we will touch base in the future.
Hello Gail,
You say sky won't repair your box....If it's loss of signal it may be birds sitting on your sky dish arm. Alternatively try unplugging your box at the plug wait 5 mins and then plug back in. See if that helps. I use to read this forum on sky help https://www.avforums.com/threads/sky-resource-list-of-useful-sky-threads.1985348/
Had this problem at a previous address and I use to amuse the neighbours with standing outside making loud clapping noises trying to scare the birds off . In the end got a fishermans catapult and would fire rice onto the roof to scare them off the dish. Sky can't force you to upgrade so don't be pressured into anything. Read all the 'small print' as this is where they catch you out. https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/who-to-contact-support
Contact us on 03456 50 50 50:

Mondays to Fridays: 9.00am to 5.00pm
Saturdays: Closed
Sundays: Closed

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Antje77

kirstiek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my name is kirstie

How old are you?
- Are you male or female?
Female
- Which country are you from?
Australia
- Which city/area do you live in?
Bunbury, w.a.
- Are you religious?
Pagan
- Pick three words to describe your personality.
Honest, loving, family orientated
- Do you have any pets?
4 cats, 1 dog
- Microsoft or Apple?
Microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
None
- Do you get angry easily?
No
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
Tattoo of my brother's initials on my left forearm
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
Ed Sheeran
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
Anything I can sing too
- What is your favourite flag?
Australian
- Ever gone camping?
Heaps
- Ever been in love?
Yed
- Ever used fake tan?
No
- Which countries have you visited?
Bali
- Favourite city?
Bunbury
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
I don't watch tv shows
- List your five favourite films.
The conjuring, braveheart, natural born killers, last of the mohicans, signs
- Are you wealthy?
NO
- Do you work? If so, as what?
No
- List the subjects you study/have studied.
Pet care, admin
- What do you like most about yourself?
I care
- What do you like least about yourself?
I can't work

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would love to be able to loose even 20lbs/10 kilows. ( I think )
Since diagnosis 3 months ago, I've lost 13 - 14kg. I've not been trying to lose weight, simply to reduce my carbs and bring my blood sugars under control. I'm happier I've managed to bring my HbA1c down from 74 to 41!

kirstiek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations that's an awesome goal x I lost about 30 kilos being type 1, now I'm between 55 and 60kg always. When u lost all that weight I was skun and bones, had to regrow the muscles in my legs which took about 6 or so months of pain

Lygo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have type 2 diabetes I was diagnosed about 5 years ago I ham just on diet only seem to be getting it wright.

Lygo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My name is Robert I am 71 years old my weight keeps going up and dawn but managed to stay some were near what I wanted.

kirstiek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations that's an awesome goal x I lost about 30 kilos being type 1, now I'm between 55 and 60kg always. When u lost all that weight I was skun and bones, had to regrow the muscles in my legs which took about 6 or so months of pain

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My name is Robert I am 71 years old my weight keeps going up and dawn but managed to stay some were near what I wanted.
Keep up your blood tests and other checks. Things can change (as I found out)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
gossipers, people with a negative outlook on life, abusers
My name is Michel J Marion but you can call me Mike J Marion. I am 66 years old and was diagnosed with diabetes about 2 years ago when I went for my annual physical at my GP and my blood sugar was at 25 ! I was referred to an endocrynologist who put me on Metformin but that wasn't good enough. Then he put me on Gliclazide which brought my blood sugar down to 5 or 6. He was happy and so am I. I'm just on Gliclazide now and my system is able to withstand a little bit of cheating once in a while where I can tolerate a little bit of sugar intake and my metabolism is able to adjust.:)

Last edited:

cuttsy

This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name? Gary
- How old are you? 54
- Are you male or female? Male
- Which country are you from? Uk
- Which city/area do you live in? Yorkshire
- Are you religious? Nooo
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Laid back, sociable
- Do you have any pets? Dog
- Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Golf, cycling, cricket, squash
- Do you get angry easily? No
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? No
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Elvis, Neil diamond, pink, Adele, Billy joel
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Anything
- Ever gone camping? Yes years ago
- Ever been in love? Yes
- Ever used fake tan? Noooo
- Which countries have you visited? France, Germany, Italy, Russia, dubai, Austria, Spain, Canada, USA, Caribbean, belgium
- Favourite city? Venice
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Friends, Frasier, modern family, only fools, gogglebox
- List your five favourite
- Are you wealthy? No
- Do you work? If so, as what? Sales engineer
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Engineering
- What do you like most about yourself? Friendly
- What do you like least about yourself? Impatient

Have fun!

Ddraigmor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, here goes my ten pence worth!

No! Think of the children!

- What is your name?
John

- How old are you?
65 but a young, still working 65.

male

Wales

Llangollen

- Are you religious?
No

Welsh, funny, sarcastic

- Do you have any pets?
4 cats and 7 Goldfish

- Microsoft or Apple?
Microsoft

That greeat new game: Staying alive in modern Britain!

I can, yes.

Nope, no tats despite being a sailor for 20 odd years but I do have a piercing in my left year after a drunken night ashore in Gibraltar, a sailmaker;'s size 16 needle, some ice and a folded up fag packet. Go figure.

Seth L:akeman, Nazareth, AC/DC, Olafur Arnaldson, The Moody Blues

Proper Rock

Not the white one, anyway.

- Ever gone camping?
Yes

- Ever been in love?
I marrioed the one who caught my heart and ansolutely adore her.

- Ever used fake tan?
Never

20 years in the Merchant Navy and you ask that question?

- Favourite city?
Bristol

Shetland, Broadchurch, Line of Duty, Blackadder, Have I got News for You.

Das Boot is the only film I would watch over and over. The rest....mmm....ask me at the time.

- Are you wealthy?
Living in modern day Britain?

FT Criminal Justice Social Worker (yes, they do exist)

Sociology, Psychology,. Psychiatry, Social Work, Criminology

My wife.

That it took so long to find her

To finish done most of what people say they want to do and above all, not a single regret!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

-
- My name is Michel J. Marion but you can call me Mike J. Marion
- I am 66 years old.
- I am male.
- I have always lived in Canada.
- Live in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- I am very religious believing in the saving power of Jesus Christ.
- introvert, sensitive, God-fearing
- No pets.
- Microsoft.
- I don't play sports but like to watch ML baseball.
- I do get angry easily.
- No tattoos or piercings.
- My favorite band is Fleetwood Mac.
- I like the music from the 70's & 80's.
- No favourite flag.
- I went camping during the late 70's but don't anymore.
- Was truly in love with both my wives.
- Never used fake tan.
- Only country I've visited is the USA.
- My favourite city is my home town of Winnipeg.
- Hardly watch any TV.
- Don't watch many movies. Most memorable is The Sound of Music.
- I am financially well off.
- I have studied and enjoyed Graphic Arts & Desktop publishing.
- I like that I'm a good listener.
- Sometimes I wish I wasn't so sensitive.

I'm having fun!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well, here goes my ten pence worth!

No! Think of the children!

- What is your name?
John

- How old are you?
65 but a young, still working 65.

male

Wales

Llangollen

- Are you religious?
No

Welsh, funny, sarcastic

- Do you have any pets?
4 cats and 7 Goldfish

- Microsoft or Apple?
Microsoft

That greeat new game: Staying alive in modern Britain!

I can, yes.

Nope, no tats despite being a sailor for 20 odd years but I do have a piercing in my left year after a drunken night ashore in Gibraltar, a sailmaker;'s size 16 needle, some ice and a folded up fag packet. Go figure.

Seth L:akeman, Nazareth, AC/DC, Olafur Arnaldson, The Moody Blues

Proper Rock

Not the white one, anyway.

- Ever gone camping?
Yes

- Ever been in love?
I married the ones who caught my heart and absolutely adored them.

- Ever used fake tan?
Never

20 years in the Merchant Navy and you ask that question?

- Favourite city?
Bristol

Shetland, Broadchurch, Line of Duty, Blackadder, Have I got News for You.

Das Boot is the only film I would watch over and over. The rest....mmm....ask me at the time.

- Are you wealthy?
Living in modern day Britain?

FT Criminal Justice Social Worker (yes, they do exist)

Sociology, Psychology,. Psychiatry, Social Work, Criminology

My wife.

That it took so long to find her

To finish done most of what people say they want to do and above all, not a single regret!

Diddlydill

Hello
I have a son who is 29 in October. He has Down's Syndrome, Type 1 Diabetes (dx aged 10) and Coeliacs disease (age 11). He has very recently moved into a Supported Living service 15 or so miles away. We have been working on this for years as hubby is now 70 and I am 63 (and have Parkinson’s disease). We thought we would have horrendous problems with M accepting the transition but that bit has gone amazingly well. However I am horrified to be told by the Care team that they cannot share M's blood glucose readings without his permission!!! It has always been acknowledged that whilst staff are on a steep learning curve we would have to work closely together until they are up to speed and have some experience under their belt. They refused to share bloods and decided that M did not have capacity to consent to this sharing of personal information and so we now need a Best Interest meeting to see if it is in M’s Best Interest to share his bloods with us. HELLO. I sent them an email saying we consider that they are endangering M's health and we hold them fully responsible if anything happens and low and behold they have suddenly agreed to send us his bloods 3 times a week. But they added that if we give them advice to change anything about his regime they cannot act on it because we are not medical professionals!!
Has any parent had experience of managing type 1 in a Supported Living service when the young person has learning difficulties and cannot manage the diabetes on his own?
Any advice gratefully received.
Diddlyd

Diddlydill

- What is your name?
Diana
- How old are you?
Female
UK
Wiltshire
- Are you religious
Yes but still questioning

Caring funny considerate

- Do you have any pets?
2 labs
- Microsoft or Apple?
Microsoft
Don't play any sport.

- Do you get angry easily
No
No
Mercy Me, Michael Buble, Queen, and most middle of the road bands

70s disco

GB
- Ever been camping
Yes with cubs and beavers years ago.

- Ever been in love?
Yes
- Ever used fake tan? No
- Which countries have you visited
US Houston Corsica Malta Menorca Barbados St Lucia Norway Sweden France Austria Spain Germany. Holland Hungary

- Favourite city?
Don't have one

The Saint The Persuaders Starsky & hutch Friends Soap

- List your five favourite films. Anything with Roger Moore in it and The Peanut Butter Falcon

- Are you wealthy? No!

Don't work due to having Parkinsons

Admin

- What do you like most about yourself? Can't answer that

- What do you like least about yourself? I
The Parkinsons
c1cb58fd-cbe9-4cd1-ba78-35cf8406dfff.jpg

WightGuy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all, my name is Keith and I'm a retired 65 year old male. I have very recently been diagnosed as Type 2 after being Pre-diabetic for a number of years.
I live on the Isle of Wight just off of England's south coast.

In the two weeks since I've been diagnosed I've massively reduced my carb intake, I always thought it was sugar that was the enemy!
In those two weeks I've managed to reduce my weight from 19st5lbs to 18st11lbs and much to my (and the families) surprise I've discovered I really like salads!

Because I've got a low GFR, (kidney function), my Doctor put me on dapagliflozin, rather than metaformin. All I seem to do now is want to pee!!!
I've accept the fact that I've got an awful lot to learn, especially about carbs, so expect to see me asking questions in the appropriate places!