Introducing myself From Brisbane QLD Australia.

A

Australia 1

I am a 64 year old Male that was born in the United States and moved to Australia seven years ago. I do not know how to use this forum at all. A pilot of many aircraft I became a Type 2 almost 3 years ago getting Chemotherapy For Lymphoma Blood Cancer. Now, about 3 Days ago I was told that I am now a type 1. I am taking Novorapid insulin and Lantus insulin and 3 various medications to work on this sugar issue. You can kiss the flying goodbye unless I become a bush pilot. My brother died of diabetes and liver Cancer 2 weeks ago and my attitude is not good being a Christian Minister. So I am so glad to have a Commonwealth country to relate too.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Davidd1953 In the UK you may be labelled Type 3c.

Do you find it hard to control your weight, if so you are likely to have issues with insulin resistance and benefit from some type of "low carb" diet. (Everyone with Type2 has insulin resistance hence low-carb is clearly the best option for Type2).

As your body can't control BG without you injecting insulin due to a reason other than just insulin resistance (Chemotherapy For Lymphoma Blood Cancer) you may find the advice of people with Type1 matches you needs best

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. You are using the forum well at the moment but note that the Type 1 forum may give you more specific information. You are on a good insulin regime so it should work well once fully balanced. If your DN/GP hasn't yet mentioned carb-counting to you then do ask for advice - it's where you match the NovoRapid to your meal-time carbs using a ratio that suits you. Yes, keep the carbs under control or you may gain weight.

A

Australia 1

Thank you NewTD2 for your Kind words. After having Two Cancers and very heavy duty Chemotherapy this TD2 which is now going into TD1 is even more of a challenge for me and now I know why I feel bad all of the time.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you NewTD2 for your Kind words. After having Two Cancers and very heavy duty Chemotherapy this TD2 which is now going into TD1 is even more of a challenge for me and now I know why I feel bad all of the time.

Please do not feel alone.

Like yourself, I am also a practicing Christian so I entrust everything to our Almighty God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

You will also find plenty of support, help, good advice from experienced T1s in here.

Please private message me if you wish.

Be strong and God bless!

Andrew

Reactions: Australia 1
A

Australia 1

@Davidd1953 In the UK you may be labelled Type 3c.

Do you find it hard to control your weight, if so you are likely to have issues with insulin resistance and benefit from some type of "low carb" diet. (Everyone with Type2 has insulin resistance hence low-carb is clearly the best option for Type2).

As your body can't control BG without you injecting insulin due to a reason other than just insulin resistance (Chemotherapy For Lymphoma Blood Cancer) you may find the advice of people with Type1 matches you needs best

Hi ringi. What is a Type 3c? In the U.K. what is considered a high BG? It is 7.8 mmol in Australia. Trying to find consistent numbers in this subject is hard. And my low carb diet,s have worked well but I am using more a more Novorapid. This is very depressing. I am no longer “Rambo”.

A

Australia 1

Please do not feel alone.

Like yourself, I am also a practicing Christian so I entrust everything to our Almighty God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

You will also find plenty of support, help, good advice from experienced T1s in here.

Please private message me if you wish.

Be strong and God bless!

Andrew

NewTD2” Andrew” . Well I find this in God,s Providence Indeed!!! I feel very alone. Australia has a culture I can not explain. But this Forum in the U.K. is just the thing for me. I am having a problem correcting my birthday and putting my profile picture up. But I consider you a real mate and brother in Christ Jesus. How do I private message you Sir?

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
NewTD2” Andrew” . Well I find this in God,s Providence Indeed!!! I feel very alone. Australia has a culture I can not explain. But this Forum in the U.K. is just the thing for me. I am having a problem correcting my birthday and putting my profile picture up. But I consider you a real mate and brother in Christ Jesus. How do I private message you Sir?

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

No idea how to send a private message!

Let me find out...

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No idea how to send a private message!

Let me find out...
Hi guys. Just here to help you PM each other. Click the little envelope symbol top right of the screen, then the option “send a new message” should appear. You then need to enter the recipients name in the appropriate box (it’ll pop up as a suggestion if you’ve got the name right), then type your title in the title box and your msg in the msg box. Finally click send. Hope that helps.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys. Just here to help you PM each other. Click the little envelope symbol top right of the screen, then the option “send a new message” should appear. You then need to enter the recipients name in the appropriate box (it’ll pop up as a suggestion if you’ve got the name right), then type your title in the title box and your msg in the msg box. Finally click send. Hope that helps.

Thank you Rachel!

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Welcome David1953! First of all, sincere condolences for the loss of your brother - that must be a heavy burden to carry on top of having to deal with a diagnosis of diabetes....my thoughts and prayers are with you.

I also am a cancer survivor and had loads of chemotherapy with two of the cancers.....really messes up one's body and how it functions for sure. One of the most important things you can do for yourself is to take a deep breath, accept that diabetes is now an everyday "partner" in your life, but doesn't have to control your life in a negative way, which it probably feels like it right now. Given time it will feel differently.....many on here will tell you that diabetes is a marathon, not a sprint.....it takes time, energy, a purposeful pursuit to figure out what works best for you......read, read, read and filter through what sounds doable for you.

There are many knowledgeable people on this Forum - it has been a God send for me and many others - so do not hesitate to ask questions, rant, rave and scream - even though we won't hear you:) - and you will feel better.
There are also many here, like myself, who will be praying for you, for strength, patience, comfort and acceptance. Feel free to PM me as well once you figure out how to do so. I am a woman, but been on the faith journey for more that 50 years and He has never let me down or failed me yet! Blessings/L

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I am a 64 year old Male that was born in the United States and moved to Australia seven years ago. I do not know how to use this forum at all. A pilot of many aircraft I became a Type 2 almost 3 years ago getting Chemotherapy For Lymphoma Blood Cancer. Now, about 3 Days ago I was told that I am now a type 1. I am taking Novorapid insulin and Lantus insulin and 3 various medications to work on this sugar issue. You can kiss the flying goodbye unless I become a bush pilot. My brother died of diabetes and liver Cancer 2 weeks ago and my attitude is not good being a Christian Minister. So I am so glad to have a Commonwealth country to relate too.
Sorry to hear your hardship and loss.
I have found pharmacists and D professionals to be a strange breed in Bris. If you are not totally happy with your GP keep looking until you are. Once you have a great GP all the other health care professionals will fall into place.
I have been in Brisbane for about 4 months (I fly back home to Melb about every 2nd weekend). I have the A team in Melb, but it has been shall we say an interesting experience up here.

The forum here is really good and I would suggest looking at the type1 section here once you sort things out. All this injecting stuff is a bit daunting to start with, but things soon become much easier.