Introduction - Type 1 Diabetic for ~6 years

BloodVyper

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to quickly introduce myself.

I've been Type 1 Diabetic since the age of 15 (6 years now), and started getting the usual symptoms during Year 11 of secondary school. Incredibly thirsty, urinating constantly, extremely lethargic. I self-diagnosed after noticing this, and managed to get a blood glucose test from my GP. A few days in hospital, a quick 101 on Diabetes care at the Bath RUH, and I was on my way!

I've had ups and downs in throughout these 6 years. A lot of weight gain (80kg to 125kg at my peak), and one period of severe hypoglycemia where I was unconscious (the mattress was like a wet sponge after that!). My ex partner managed to arrange an ambulance call out luckily.

I hope to become a regular member here, and will share more of the technical side of T1 Diabetes management. I work in the IT industry, so things like Nightscout/xDrip are right up my alley. I'll try and mix between MiaoMiao/Nightscout/xDrip content, food diaries for my current keto diet plan, and general advice for anyone new to this disease.

Best wishes and stay safe out there!

Ciaran.

Reactions: EllieM

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Good to hear that you are looking at Keto to help control the weight. Mainly you just need to keep the carbs under control and set them at a daily level that keeps your weight in the right range. You will, of course, need to reduce your insulin as needed.