Inulin food supplements.

TimLaws

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
Anyone got any thoughts on the use of Inulin food supplement to help regulate blood sugars?
Currently on the LCHF diet I recommend it to anyone who has not tried it. Bloods daily all looking good at the moment, weight loss continuing started 15st10lbs now 12st11lbs currently losing at 3-4 lbs per week. Diabetic review in 6 weeks lets see what HbA1c says plus cholesterol levels etc.

JeanCL

I'm trying it - Angela Ripon on anti-aging programme suggested it to reduce visceral fat; I have been identified as pre-diabetic with Hb1ac of 43 and am trying this together with reduced carbohydrates and no sugar, hoping to reduce the reading and avoid progressing to diabetes

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Inulin is a no-no for me - it causes bloating and all sorts of other nasty GI symptoms that remind me of the bad old days of IBS. I think it can cause issues for people with a FODMAPs sensitivity.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Inulin is a no-no for me - it causes bloating and all sorts of other nasty GI symptoms that remind me of the bad old days of IBS. I think it can cause issues for people with a FODMAPs sensitivity.
Again, Im with you. Even probiotics with Inulin are horrid. I don't have IBS per se but I do need to watch fiber, and no fermented foods at all. Yuk. Bloat. Potential to Lower bs if you tolerate it but I sure don't. At all!!

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been having 2 teaspoons of FOS daily for a few months, with good results. Also, a lot of the low carb special products I use have inulin or FOS in them, including bars from natural lowcarb store, and cavalier stevia chocolate. Not sure I know the difference between FOS and Inulin, but it all seems to come from chicory root.
I have been borderline IBS in the past. The FOS makes me very gassy, but the benefits outweigh this - I have combined with high dose probiotics, Kombucha, kefir etc, and feel my bowel is healthier, and the change in my gut microbiome has been one reason, I think, why my BG's and Hba1c have come down.
I find that if I exceed 20-25grams of FOS in a day, gut gets a bit dicey.
I am aware that this is the complete opposite of the FODMAP diet, but my priority is my diabetes.
I use Lamberts or Biocare FOS powder, buy on the internet, can also be used in baking, home made low carb ice cream, pleasant sweet taste.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I take Inulin everyday. From 1 teaspoon to two teaspoons now.

I have slow colonic transit and can get horrible distention, bloating, pain and even feeling foods, gas etc moving in colon.
However, inulin for me does not cause the problems-its still the food I was eating.. If I eat suitable foods then inulin does not give me problems at all. I am thinking too that it may enable me to come off one of the drugs I have to take for the SCT.
I have to avoid all food that irritates stomach and colon, so my food is limited now. Definitely nothing with skins, no leaves as in lettuce l, spinach, cabbage etc. Onions and tomatos definite no. However the Inulin has for me relieved the chronic constipation. Now, just finding out which drug I can stop to eliminate the chronic diarrhea....

It did help cholesterol up until taking Letrozole for cancer. I've now today, doubled the teaspoon to see if it may comabat the side effects of the Letrozole with cholesterol and weight gain.
Won't know until next test results prob around October.

Hubby also uses for his cholesterol. He too has just increased to two teaapoons today.

I have to have low fibre, no skins, no bread, pasta at all due to the slow colonic. However, I think with persons that have a diagnosis of SCT that it can help with the constipation side. But it doesn't make food break down in my body. I can still get the most horrible, gushy, no notice diarrhea now but it still has solid foods in that won't break down in my stomach/colon.

As a T1 regulating bloods which was OP original question. It doesn't help that for me.. As regulation is down to me and the qty of insulin I give myself..
However, it is hugely noticeable that my basal insulin requirements has been dropping hugely. However, I think it needs someone with less complex other illnesses to establish whether inulin is the cause of needing less basal insulin. If my basal insulin keeps dropping (despite being hugely less active now) I will be so low for me it will be unreal.. 18months ago was on 8 units at night of levemir.. Now on 2.5 split (1.6 at 5pm and 1 at minight) and still dropping at night. Never had this previously during 30+ years of T1.

Had nonalcholic fatty liver too a couple years ago but scans never repeated since. So don't know if thats being helped or not.