iphone apps

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been searching the forum and have already downloaded the Glucose Buddy app which is fab but am look for a carb counter which will help me with my food choices. There are quite a few on there so can anybody recommend one.

thanks

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
If they are free why not download and test them out ? I have a BB and that is what I do with it.

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sue

The one I was looking at was 'carbs and cals' which is £4.99. I've downloaded a couple of the free ones and they are basically just calculators and don't tell you how many carbs are in food.

cearapeter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All

I use the 'BGluMon' (Blood Glucose Monitor) app. Its great. I also use 'ALowGIDiet' . It allows you to view the GI and GL of over 2000s foods. Excellent.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I've recently bought an android phone and after reading about it here have downloaded 'On Track' which is brilliant makes records just about everything, I just record bg and bp, and it displays some neat graphs.

I would be interested in a carb counter app and I will check out if AllowGIDiet is available for the android OS.

If you dont want to pay for apps you can 'jailbreak' your iPhone and then it will be almost as customizable as an android :lol: Just kidding :wink:

redrevis

I'd highly recommend the Carbs and Cals app. I bought it and I use it every single day just about. Has all the pictures that the book has, 1200 of them. Great food database, but you can add your own foods too if it doesn't contain ones you want to store on it. I also use the 'Restaurant Nutrition' app which is great when you're eating out at fast food places, including subway etc.
I too use Glucose buddy and combined with carbs and cals and RN i don't need to use anything else :D

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Please post up any further findings and reviews so the community make the right choice of apps 8)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Having had a look around the android market I purchased 'Carb Database' luckily it only cost $0.99 as it is useless.

Cereals, their are no breakfast cereals listed that are relevant to the UK, not even Cornflakes !!!!

French Bread, 1 slice 14.2g Might be useful if I knew how big a 'slice' is!!!!!

Bacon Canadian style grilled, what the hell is that!!!!!!!

So Carb Database for android............Dont bother. 2/10 at best :cry:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
On Track

Records your
Blood Glucose
Food
Exercise
Medication
Weight
Blood Pressure
Pulce
Hb A1c
Body Fat

Reports your
Average Glucose stats
Glucose by catergory ie. After Diner =
Food by catergory
Meds by subtype

Graphs
Glucose daily average
Glucose Range
Glucose by time of day
Hb A1c by time
Carbs dialy total
Pulce by time
Weight by time

Free to download and use 9/10 Brilliant
thumbsup.gif

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using OnTrack Diabetes (Search for OnTrack in Droid Market) and have been very impressed with it. Best of all its Free!

The Reports are pretty good though the A1c prediction is a little optimistic. Mine says 5.5 for last few months but latest from Friday was 5.9.
Either way the graphs and reports are very good and you can back up regularly and mail reports to yourself. Best app I have found to date.

Still looking for something that I am totally happy with for Carb counting on the Droid. I have been trying Calorie counter and its not too bad but mostly it seems to pitched at the US but it does have some useful features like barcode scanner etc though I have found that of limited use since if you have the barcode chance are you also have the rest of packaging with the nutrirtional info.

jameshallam

I use glucose buddy - excellent app for recording BG, insulin, food and exercise. It does become a little slugish to open when there are a few logs in tho'.

Carbs and Cals is also really good, quite steep at £4.99, but it's all UK based food and has pictures of everything so you can judge your portion size. Most other carb databases I have used have all been based around American food so not that revelent.

The other one I use is a website, which I have a link to on my home screen called "calorie count database"...search for it on google it's the top link. they have a mobile friendly site which lets you search for anything - generally pretty good at the rare-er foods.

descartesmum

Help!!

I just bought a Blackberry Pearl and would love this app but don't know how to download it onto my phone.

Carol

Sid Bonkers said:
I've recently bought an android phone and after reading about it here have downloaded 'On Track' which is brilliant makes records just about everything, I just record bg and bp, and it displays some neat graphs.

I would be interested in a carb counter app and I will check out if AllowGIDiet is available for the android OS.

If you dont want to pay for apps you can 'jailbreak' your iPhone and then it will be almost as customizable as an android :lol: Just kidding :wink:

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Carol,

On Track is only available on Android handsets.
I am not sure if there is something available for BlackBerry handsets.

Depending on the BlackBerry Pearl version you have I guess it may be able to run Java Movile apps in which case you could always try dbees.com
It doesn't quite have the graphing functions that the others have but the phone really only acts as a device for entering information. You need to log into a website to go and pull stats and graphs.

They are still developing it and are pretty responsive if you email them, I found a few bugs in the Windows Phone version and they fixed in within 2 days.

Andy

descartesmum

Thanks for the quick reply. This new fangled thing is so confusing to me. I usually just use it for texts and I haven't received a phone call on it yet so not sure what to press for that! :) I'll muddle though.