Is 5.2 too low to go to bed on?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
this is a great question :)-- we are all different and will all have varying levels with which we feel comfortable.

I would be quite pleased to go to bed on a 5.2 ( as long as I knew my IOB ( insulin on board ) from my last bolus was finished.

I know My DSN prefers me to be above 6.0 going to bed

M

mist

That would be too low for me, I'd freak out that I would hypo in my sleep and never wake up..:joyful:

kellie lees

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
this is a great question :)-- we are all different and will all have varying levels with which we feel comfortable.

I would be quite pleased to go to bed on a 5.2 ( as long as I knew my IOB ( insulin on board ) from my last bolus was finished.

I know My DSN prefers me to be above 6.0 going to bed

Thank you - hehe I know it might sound a bit of a daft question but newly diagnosed and I know you shouldn't become too obsessed with the numbers but....!!! I was sure my DSN said he around 6 to go to bed but then I read you should aim for around the 5's! Thank you for your help x

Reactions: himtoo

kellie lees

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So general consensus is that even though 5.2 is a good reading (for throughout the day) it's probably a bit low for just before bed!?

iHs

My bg levels change during the night..... I might have 3 nights when my levels stay more or less the same but then start to change even with a pump so I then start to address the offending basal rate and use my cgm on my phone as my guide. I tend to stay with the recommended bg of 6mmol to 7mmol to allow for my bg to drop. I have no intention of putting myself at risk of being dead in bed even though I have a hubby who will try to rescue me if there were no lights on.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I personally would probably have 1 biscuit (<10g carbs) if I had that at my bedtime reading - my target range is 5-8 though because of driving most mornings and taking basal at night.

May be worth having another quick chat with the DSN @kellie lees.

Reactions: azure

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As long as your Basal is reasonably well balanced then 5.2 should be OK as long as it's a few hours after the last Bolus.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So general consensus is that even though 5.2 is a good reading (for throughout the day) it's probably a bit low for just before bed!?

If you're newly diagnosed, follow DSN advice on bed time levels.

I wouldn't arbitrarily say 5.2 is too low to go to bed on if you're confident with your basal rates, you have good hypo awareness and will get woken up if you drop in the night, you haven't got lots of IOB, you haven't been drinking and you haven't done lots of unusual exercise. I think there's too many variables to put a bottom line on to apply to every single night.

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
As the question above, is this ok or a little low? Thank you

If you have good control and the benefit of DP, then it's fine to go to bed on that. I'm happy to retire at 4.2 as I know I'll rise up to at least 6.2 overnight, but as others have said, it is down to personal choice and your own circumstances.