Is a Low Carb Diet Sustainable to Manage Type 1 Diabetes

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We're all different :) I follow moderate carbs and my last three HbA1Cs were 4.6, 4.7 and 5.1 :)
Yep for sure, different things work for different people. We'd definitely be eating more carbs if we could get results like yours with it, fabulous. You really can have your cake and eat it...lol! But it doesn't work for us.x

Reactions: azure and noblehead

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We're all different :) I follow moderate carbs and my last three HbA1Cs were 4.6, 4.7 and 5.1 :)
They are great results.
To be fair though. You are on a pump. As opposed to MDI.

What @CathP has pulled out of the bag for a no doubt tricky 5 year old is admiral too! :cool:

I wouldn't wanna be "calling the shots" on someone else's D...

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They a
To be fair though. You are on a pump. As opposed to MDI.

What @CathP has pulled out of the bag for a no doubt tricky 5 year old is admiral too! :cool:

I wouldn't wanna be "calling the shots" on someone else's D...

Cath P and all the other parents of Type 1s are doing a fantastic job :cool: It's hard enough being an adult with Type 1 let alone caring for a child with it.

Yes, I'm on a pump now, but my diet and HbA1C were very similar for the 10 years I wasn't :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I'm on a pump now, but my diet and HbA1C were very similar for the 12 years I wasn't :)

You were offered a pump in spite of decent MDI A1c results? Did they feel you were getting too many lows with MDI. Hence the pump?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You were offered a pump in spite of decent MDI A1c results? Did they feel you were getting too many lows with MDI. Hence the pump?

No, I got a pump because no basal insulin could match my basal needs. Having a high HbA1C isn't necessarily necessary for a pump as you'll see if you look around the pump section.

If you're interested in a pump, you could also look at the INPUt site as that's exteremely helpful :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, I got a pump because no basal insulin could match my basal needs. Having a high HbA1C isn't necessarily necessary for a pump as you'll see if you look around the pump section.

If you're interested in a pump, you could also look at the INPUt site as that's exteremely helpful :)

Lol, thanks for the invite but I don't feel comfortable getting involved in the pump section. It's not my "world."

I was in a band with a pumper for 3 years? He had serious complications hence the pump & still struggled.. To be honest I felt overt resentment from him. He was higher than "moderate carb" too. & couldn't hold his blood stable for the duration of the gig let alone the day...
I couldn't help him other than pass the treatment when he went down. & stand well back.... Or in the case of being a "front man". Make more noise to cover his randomness on the bass while hypo.. :banghead:

Reactions: lizdeluz

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My A1C has been 5.1 for over a year with bs between 75-105 most times. The year before it was 5.2 with bs between 50 and 220 when I ate 20 carbs per meal. This is why low carb is so valuable to me. Especially on MDI. Carbs are not worth it to me. My eyes, feet, liver, kidneys are not worth carbs.

Azure, it amazes me how well you do. Nothing works with carbs for me.

nickm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes, lchf is sustainable, but as was pointed out in the comments on the Sboros article, stories about a few individuals with diabetes of relatively recent onset do not prove this.
Doctors assert that high fat intake will lead to heart disease later in life. Troy's story doesn't prove them wrong. That can only be done by looking at a sufficient number of T1s with a high fat intake in an age group where heart disease is common.
There has been research on cohorts of successful older T1s, but it has either not collected, or not reported data on their diets.
Why not?
I want to know what sort of diet will give me the best health at age 70. Short term indicators like HbA1c are poor predictors of future cardiovascular disease, which is the thing most likely to kill us.
Unfortunately the research is not getting done, because both sides of the carb wars are convinced they already know the answer.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Carbs also contribute to heart disease. There is no perfect food of course.
Many of us have found replacing more plant/mono fats such as avocado olive oil olives and nuts instead of saturated fats makes a difference. All fats are not created equal just as all carbs or protein are not created equal.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My A1C has been 5.1 for over a year with bs between 75-105 most times. The year before it was 5.2 with bs between 50 and 220 when I ate 20 carbs per meal. This is why low carb is so valuable to me. Especially on MDI. Carbs are not worth it to me. My eyes, feet, liver, kidneys are not worth carbs.

Azure, it amazes me how well you do. Nothing works with carbs for me.

As you might have guessed, I'm going to say that pre-bolusing is the answer ;)

Within a moderate carb range, tactically use of insulin can work wonders :)