Is anyone having difficulty getting HBA1C tests?

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know this year's been crazy but just called my doctor's surgery to schedule my annual review in case they forgot and was told I'd have a virtual appointment and the nurse would evaluate if I needed bloods taken. I've been diagnosed type 2 for four years with them and last HBA1C was 55, but not on meds. (I've yo-yoed between 83 and 46 over the four years, depending on whether I ate low carb or stuffed myself with biscuits).

What can I possibly say in a virtual appointment that means I don't need it? I know it was the appointment maker and not the nurse themselves making the appointment, but this seems really weird for an annual review. Especially as I know I'll need bloods taken and then need another virtual appointment to discuss results. And that makes 3 potential appointments instead of 2. I'm in Wales, so we're not on lockdown any more. I'm baffled.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It may depend where you are as to how its done, I know for my docs its a 2-part review - first one is where they take blood, weigh me, check blood pressure, check I still have feelings in my feet, and tell me I should've brought a urine sample (I always forget), that is done by one of the nurses who can take blood - I had mine done about a week and a half ago, and then you get a second appointment with the diabetic nurse (this afternoon for me) at least 10 days later (so the results have time to come back) - for my doctors this is still going even though we are in lockdown here

But as I say it may well depend where you are, and also since I'm type 1 that may make a difference - but I dont know if that makes a difference or not at my docs - my diabetic nurse is a good one - and lets face it we cant tell our diabetes to go away until the pandemic is over lol

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think yearly reviews are automatically happening this year. For me - I phoned my diabetic nurse and insisted that I had my bloods tested over a year and a half from my last review. At first she wasn't keen and told me I was in remission but I then pointed out to her that a lot can change in a few months never mind a year and a half so she then reluctantly agreed. I took usual urine sample with me to phlebotomist had blood drawn and nothing else in and out in 2 mins. I think it was around a week later DN phoned with results just randomly hadn't arranged this with me beforehand so I was unable to take call - I later phoned back to arrange telephone appointment - at telephone appointment she discussed results, asked my weight and BP (I have monitor in house as I get white coat syndrome) and nothing else - so no foot check etc. done. At my flu jag appointment I mentioned to her that I may have possibly hard skin on sole of foot and asked her advice on whether I should get it checked - she said not to bother as hard skin is very common. Also finally getting retinopathy eye test at hospital, if it happens on Friday, again, this was supposed to have been done in April. So in my case check ups not automatically happening this year when due. I hope this helps you.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
As far as I know there still is a shortage of reagents for the tests.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Asked my surgery for one and discussed with DN and got it done later in the week.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Daughter has requested one from our surgery was told it's at least a months wait due to the lab having a shortage of reagents I suppose it may depend on what lab your test would be sent to for processing.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had one on Friday & was told the results would be back today. Which reminds me to give the surgery a call.

I hope you get sorted.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Whenever I try to get a review all of the appointments have gone and told to try in a couple of weeks again!! Bit like ‘Groundhog day’ really.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had one about an hour ago, and told the results should be through on Wednesday. On an unrelated telephone appointment last week, I mentioned to my GP that the diabetes nurse had said she'd book me one, but hadn't followed through with it. She sent me a link so I could book an appointment myself.

Now it's just fingers crossed for a 30s to low 40s result.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know this year's been crazy but just called my doctor's surgery to schedule my annual review in case they forgot and was told I'd have a virtual appointment and the nurse would evaluate if I needed bloods taken. I've been diagnosed type 2 for four years with them and last HBA1C was 55, but not on meds. (I've yo-yoed between 83 and 46 over the four years, depending on whether I ate low carb or stuffed myself with biscuits).

What can I possibly say in a virtual appointment that means I don't need it? I know it was the appointment maker and not the nurse themselves making the appointment, but this seems really weird for an annual review. Especially as I know I'll need bloods taken and then need another virtual appointment to discuss results. And that makes 3 potential appointments instead of 2. I'm in Wales, so we're not on lockdown any more. I'm baffled.
I'm in Wales too and haven't received any letters for annual checks usually due beg November and neither myself nor a colleague have had diabetic eye tests which we usually have around March .

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I missed out on my 6 monthly blood test in June, but received a letter asking me to book an appointment for my November blood test. I did that and had the test last Friday. No problems. If the tests throw up anything untoward, I will be contacted by the nurse.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Had appointment on Friday, results of most of blood tests on Monday, remainder of results the following Friday. Results not particularly good, so I definitely needed to know.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 1 and haven't managed to get any bloods run. No annual eye check either so my local.opticians did it for me. I've had a letter from the hospital with date for a telephone call with the consultant - not sure what we're going to talk about.

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the replies - interesting to see the variations going on. I have no idea what I'd say at a virtual appointment without a blood test to discuss, as it seems the wrong way round to me. And a bit of a waste of the diabetic nurse's time. But if that's how they wish to do it, so be it. At least I don't have to leave the house...!