Type 1.5 Is being '5 to drive' only applicable to people on insulin?

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
I was asked this question today, as I have maintained this rule since diagnosis, although when being first told about it, I was taking 36 units daily to get my A1c of 103 down to a more manageable level.

Using LCHF I find my D easy to control, and if not driving am happy to let my BGs drop into the 4's, but always keep it in the 5-6 range when driving. I've been insulin-free since mid-2015 thanks to this lifestyle, but a work colleague enquired today why I was still testing before hitting the roads.

So, I've popped on here this evening to enquire if the rule applies to folk with D who are NOT on insulin? I've not had a hypo since changing to LCHF and stopping insulin, though keep good awareness by using the '5' rule which makes me very aware if I drop below 4.5

All thoughts welcomed! My A1c is currently 45.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I was asked this question today, as I have maintained this rule since diagnosis, although when being first told about it, I was taking 36 units daily to get my A1c of 103 down to a more manageable level.

Using LCHF I find my D easy to control, and if not driving am happy to let my BGs drop into the 4's, but always keep it in the 5-6 range when driving. I've been insulin-free since mid-2015 thanks to this lifestyle, but a work colleague enquired today why I was still testing before hitting the roads.

So, I've popped on here this evening to enquire if the rule applies to folk with D who are NOT on insulin? I've not had a hypo since changing to LCHF and stopping insulin, though keep good awareness by using the '5' rule which makes me very aware if I drop below 4.5

All thoughts welcomed! My A1c is currently 45.

Not just insulin, it also applies to people who use some other kinds of medications such as sulphonylureas, these are also capable of producing hypoglyceamic reactions.

If you control your diabetes by diet alone, then you don't need to worry about the 5 to drive guideline.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My understanding is that the rule's there, not because it's unsafe to drive at 4, but because if you're bs is less than 5 there's too little lee way before it goes down below 4. If you're not on anything which induces hypos then you're not going to go below 4 anyway, so there's no need for the precaution...