Is Everyone Managing to Eat usual foods?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: type two paul

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Went to a local butcher this morning thats does great pork scratchings.
I was the only customer and they had plenty of meat.
They have no scratchings left now though! (it was only 5 bags more arriving tomorrow)...
We did the same re scratchings! Went for offal and an oxtail so some kind of nourishing soup is on the cards though I haven't gone full Victorian and gotten calf's foot jelly yet...
Planning to vist A3 Tesco at 6am following an overnight re stock so I can get eggs. May have to play the diabetes card to get in though....

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We did the same re scratchings! Went for offal and an oxtail so some kind of nourishing soup is on the cards though I haven't gone full Victorian and gotten calf's foot jelly yet...
Planning to vist A3 Tesco at 6am following an overnight re stock so I can get eggs. May have to play the diabetes card to get in though....
Good hunting.. we can't find eggs anywhere at the moment although got just about everything else we needed this morning at Waitrose in Horsham.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There is no bread in Stanton hill (not that that bothers me particularly) but many of the residents are elderly and can't shop anywhere else it seems the check out girls at the co-op were threatened with violence when trying to enforce the two items per customer rule this morning.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is no bread in Stanton hill (not that that bothers me particularly) but many of the residents are elderly and can't shop anywhere else it seems the check out girls at the co-op were threatened with violence when trying to enforce the two items per customer rule this morning.

That's horrible. Seems they need to hire a security guard. My grocery store has had one for a few years now, who patrols the whole parking lot and checks in regularly at the store. The manager has also been helping to bag groceries -- one way to keep an eye on customers.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good hunting.. we can't find eggs anywhere at the moment although got just about everything else we needed this morning at Waitrose in Horsham.
I'm not a great egg eater, but had no problem ordering (just my usual 6 medium - and currently on offer) from Morrisons, which should be arriving later today... Everything else I've ordered is available too, except my kalettes, which tend to have a very limited season anyway...

But husband who does like his eggs, had a great run around with Tesco eggs dizzily appearing, disappearing then reappearing when he was making his otherwise pretty carby and riddled with substitutes order, though he did actually get his week's worth of eggs in the end!

James2

i am foirtunate in that i had a few extra things each week when this started in china but im already in my 10 day of self isolation as my daughter visited from uni and a few days later started to display cornoavirus type symptoms , high temp/difficulty breathing and her eyes are burning but only a slight cough .she has not been tested as her symptoms are mild and she whent into self isolation.
as for goods you might try off liciences as they tend have a supply of goroceries
i apreciate the shops are allowing the elderly to come in early whilst the shelfs are stocked. if people are struggling with shortages there are a number of schemes runing were volunteers will brings things to people homes, my church is also doing the same thing.
my surgery is now triaging over the phone and then send the prescription to a pharamcy.
i have an exercise bike and today will be trying a you tube exercise programe for diabetics
i hope everyone keeps safe and as well as possible

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The egg man was parked up so I bought 4 dozen large, glad about that as I was dreading UHT ones.

And they're massive eggs, I wondered why the guy had put an elastic band round each box and not closed them properly so I'm quite impressed with the local egg man in his local egg van :p

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Nope the shops are bare, we are eating unhealthy right now , can't get veg meat so having packet foods which my mother has given me until i can get to the shop tomorrow .It's like a war zone people are morons emptying the shelves . It's depressing .We had instant mash for tea with sausages which my mum gave me and no veg , its horrible .

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The local Indian curry house was serving the usual foods although the lads were worrying how long they'd be allowed to stay open, which in turn got me worrying as although I cook my own Indian 'inspired' (is that the word as I'm not a cook :p) food but do enjoy a proper carry out on cheat day :)

And it's a couple of month afore coriander will grow on my windowsill...

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A tornado narrowly missed my neighborhood (well, debris hit the front of it), and power was off for five days in early March. So, I had to totally restock the fridge and freezer. I must have been hungry when I did during several trips to the store. Got all stocked up about 1 week before the panic buying began. In retrospect, my fridge restocking would have looked like panic buying. Also, my local Whole Foods (An Amazon company, so free to Prime members that buy enough to get the coveted “invitation”), is still delivering. There were several items unavailable for my order, but I made some redundant choices to cover my bases, I can freeze the extra.

So, yes, I’m still eating my normal diet at this time.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really struggling now, our butchers has closed as he is on the really vulnerable list, Tesco order - no meat no veg no eggs no milk no “ lady” products. I can’t get out to shop around as the lady who sits with my son is ill (not corona) I have very little food my son likes and I am worried about him eating as he has a narrow range because of his autism he won’t/can’t eat a lot of foods because of sensory issues. To top it all some of the little darlings who are now not in school are running around spitting and coughing at people especially the elderly! let them come at me and they’ll know about it - I am a woman on the edge lol

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Really struggling now, our butchers has closed as he is on the really vulnerable list, Tesco order - no meat no veg no eggs no milk no “ lady” products. I can’t get out to shop around as the lady who sits with my son is ill (not corona) I have very little food my son likes and I am worried about him eating as he has a narrow range because of his autism he won’t/can’t eat a lot of foods because of sensory issues. To top it all some of the little darlings who are now not in school are running around spitting and coughing at people especially the elderly! let them come at me and they’ll know about it - I am a woman on the edge lol
That's horrible i expected this from the kids , they think it's funny . But the laugh is on them becaus kids are not getting this virus if they do it is mild .
My grandson is autistic too and faddy eater but he is high spectrum so not so bad. I too cannot get all the essntials its ridiculous . One man yesterday bought all the bread in Farm foods as soon as it opened and head office said there's no restiction on bread and sales are sales :(

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I forgot my little anecdote from my visit to the egg man in his little egg van, longish queue and I was chatting to a lady (I'd let her in front of me) who said she was a T2d, so I said I was a T1 :p (like a terminator) she asked if I had injections and when I answered in the affirmative she asked if "I'd ever gone off"

I'd only just got out of the shower too so she can't have like my CK one...

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
That's horrible i expected this from the kids , they think it's funny . But the laugh is on them becaus kids are not getting this virus if they do it is mild .
My grandson is autistic too and faddy eater but he is high spectrum so not so bad. I too cannot get all the essntials its ridiculous . One man yesterday bought all the bread in Farm foods as soon as it opened and head office said there's no restiction on bread and sales are sales :(

I have anecdotal evidence that some convenience store owners are doing things like this and then putting produce on the shelves of their own shops at shall we say, a slightly marked up price. True entrepreneurial spirit in our capitalist society.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Though I eat very little bread my family do, in our local shop the bread just disappears very early every day.

Luckily a few months ago I found a bread maker in the local charity shop so I make the odd loaf for the family and so far they have all the bread they want which isn't a lot but it is a staple for many and I feel sorry for those who just can't seem to get any may make a few extra loaves for the neighbors.

Though bread flour and yeast have suddenly become unavailable in the shops as well.

lalaleroux

I am in the US and boy oh boy, shopping is a blood sport right now. This morning I had to pick up a prescription and my pharmacy is the grocery store. There was little to no meat. Bread was fully stocked, if you count it was store brand and mostly white. Didn't even go down some of the other aisles.

I am good. I live in hurricane country and know the deal. But this time won't lose power, so slowly freezer stocked with frozen veggies and meat. Fresh food is stocked after this morning. All the dairy a girl could need. Eggs, I have them.

But I had to do it piecemeal and learn as a go. My usual hurricane prep had to change because the last one was pre-diagnosis. Now, I am good for a while. And hopefully by the time I need to go back to shop, the panic shopping will have subsided and easier.

And, since there is only behind in the house, I have plenty of TP. lol

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have a feeling panic buying may not abate till authorities take steps to control it.