1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Is Everyone Managing to Eat usual foods?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by type two paul, Mar 18, 2020.

1. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Popped out for some essentials this afternoon.

A shop assistant in our local Spar told me that they don't have enough drivers and trucks to keep up with demand, so I think that perhaps the supply chains are not as robust as many would hope, even if there is food at wholesalers.

If drivers start getting sick then we've got even bigger problems on the way.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

I'm glad Whole Foods is still delivering. They sent me an email so I must check with my local WF but it's nice to know they're still open.
    Your cats are lovely BTW. :)

3. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Our local Iceland's is not opening tomorrow they have been wiped out nothing on the shelves nothing in their storage whatsoever.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

Very scary. Presumably they don't get deliveries on Sunday.
    Hopefully come Monday morning they will be open and restocking their shelves.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rustytypin

Rustytypin Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Just tried booking a delivery from Tesco, no slots available in the next three weeks! Sainsbury are not taking on any new registrations. Seems like I will have to go in person to the local supermarket, so much for isolation as one of the “vulnerable group “. Any suggestions?

• Hug Hug x 3
  6. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I suggest you check with the local supermarkets to find one that is offering times when the elderly or those at risk can shop while everyone else is excluded.

Alternatively place an interim order with another company. Many places offer food purchases over the internet. Amazon is a big one, although their delivery times are (quite understandably!) longer than usual. Your local butcher may be running a delivery service. There are companies offering veg box delivery.

Also, have you checked to see if they have any ‘click and collect’ slots? Sometimes they aren’t as booked up as the deliveries.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Rustytypin

Rustytypin Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

My local butcher does home deliveries, we usually go in person, but have registered for home delivery. They don’t do veg etc so we might end up carnivores!!!
    The main problem will be non food and household goods.
    Must admit I hadn’t thought of Amazon, - have to investigate. Thanks for the suggestions, they have prompted my old brain to think outside the box.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

i have been trying not to order from Amazon since the situation escalated. I figure they are busy enough, and I hadn’t needed anything important - but then yesterday I placed a largish dog food order. Pretty essential, say the mutts. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Walking Girl

Walking Girl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I received a corporate email tonight from WF that said they consider themselves an essential service, and have every intention of staying open. Lots of extra pay, sick time, etc to workers to do so. At least they are trying.

The cats are brothers, and litter mates. After a beautiful tuxedo, like yours, passed after 18 years I put about that I wanted a bonded pair. I ended up with these 2 nutters...who I love dearly.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

Thank you. ^. .^

11. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The irony amid all this hoarding is that, where I live at least, supermarkets have become ground zero for contracting the virus. Thousands of people clambering over each other to buy-up everything in sight. Just so they can go home to their war bunker in the back garden with a hundred rolls of toilet paper and the disease they just caught :shifty:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. copilost

copilost Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Have you thought of contacting freegle? I received this from them:

COVID-19 - Can you help? Do you need help?
    Over the next couple of months, quite a lot of people may be ill and need help with practical things like shopping and medicines. Maybe not yet, but maybe soon.

Maybe you can help. Maybe you (or someone you know) will need help. Let’s see if we can connect people so that we’re ready.

If you can help, or you think you might need help, please let us know here:

https://www.ilovefreegle.org/covid

We're trying to connect people who need help with other people nearby who can provide it.

We don’t know how many responses we get. Maybe we’ll just get a few - if so then we’ll leave it in the (washed) hands of other people. Maybe we’ll get loads, and we’ll need to work out how to put people in touch safely - that would be a good problem to have. We won’t pass on your details before getting back in touch with you.

13. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

We went out for fresh milk yesterday and whilst I thought the main area of the supermarket was not too bad, when we got to the checkouts, half of them were closed. The ones that were open were all adjacent to each other, thus forcing people to queue shoulder to shoulder.

This 1 to 2 meters 'thing' is like rocket science to some people.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

In this house, Friday is often chippy night. There's no way I can do anything with batter (except on gluten free nights, if I wanted it), but I might steal some of my OH's chips.

Whilst the queue was all very respectful, and at distance, one young lady, with child in tow, declared to the definitely pension age gentleman behind her that he didn't need to keep distance from her, because she was OK.

Needless to say, she got some very robust feedback from someone further up the queue who declared himself a surgeon (he is). He informed her she was misguided and suggested the gentleman step back and she read some decent information when she'd finished her chips.

Ooooer, vicar.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  15. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Flexibillity is the key, my wholemeal loaf tail end needs warming to freshen the bread :p (mum had no qualms scraping mould off white bread and toasting it as a kid but she'd lived thru ww11 :p) so I had eggs benedict for brekkers as I had fresh white muffins, works out if I forgo the jug of porridge oats the carbs work out quite well, a bit fattening and I don't often eat bacon but you can have a cheat day once in a while I guess :p

Can I just say that Morrisons wholemeal > Tesco Henderson's wholemeal by far :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

I actually had a proper meal today for lunch, one that would have been a good meal before T2 diagnosis. Roast beef with gravy, mashed potatoes, green peas. The beef and peas came from cans, the potatoes, dried, came from a box. I am not buying any fresh foods these days; I want food that hasn't been handled or breathed on or sneezed on by other customers; food that was hopefully processed before the coronavirus hit. The only "fresh" foods I am eating these days are yogurt and cheese.

17. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So your answer is “no I am not eating my usual food”. What did the potatoes do to your bgl?

18. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just read about pleas for scientists for rationing.

In principle I agree with this rather than they way shops are doing it now. 2 tins per shopper is very different for a slight pensioner v a family of 5 with 3 teenagers. My mum (live alone) would have 2-4 meals from that. It would feed 2 of my kids leaving one starving along with me and his father. Only answer right now is repeated visits repeating exposure.

However the plea is for it to be based on eatwell:arghh:

https://apple.news/AA9-v49GeQrmbPQg2J6HV1A

19. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

But if they're sensible, they get 30 crates full of the things delivered to their door - according to something I read yesterday an Ocado driver made such a delivery, but It may well be a case of (dare I say...) Chinese whispers and a potential urban myth... but the mind boggles - if you'll pardon the pun! o_O

And back to topic - I'm still eating normally, but after next food delivery on Wednesday will see how it goes.

20. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

I had a delivery from Asda on Saturday no toilet rolls were available.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook