Is Everyone Managing to Eat usual foods?

DeniseT 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What would be classed as "special-needs diet"? I doubt lchf, kosher, halal, or my own diet for the last 35 years - vegetarian, would be classed as "special-needs diet."

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
What would be classed as "special-needs diet"? I doubt lchf, kosher, halal, or my own diet for the last 35 years - vegetarian, would be classed as "special-needs diet."
Well one would be gluten free you used to be able to get it on prescription. Till it became more widely available in shops.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Yesterday the only peanut butter left on the shelves at my store was the very expensive brands and some with honey.
Maybe governments ought to start issuing ration books again, starting with people who have special-needs diets?

@SaskiaKC all you need for peanut butter is dry roasted peanuts, a little olive oil a blender and about five minutes to spare.:)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well one would be gluten free you used to be able to get it on prescription. Till it became more widely available in shops.

John - Some gluten free products are still available on prescription, for those diagnosed coeliac. I have recently observed someone order their bread, wraps and pizza bases.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
John - Some gluten free products are still available on prescription, for those diagnosed coeliac. I have recently observed someone order their bread, wraps and pizza bases.

My sister in law is coeliac but I did not realize that some items are still available on prescription it may vary from doctor to doctor I suppose.

Reactions: ickihun

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ventured out today and could not get mushrooms, Greek yoghurt, frozen green beans - and something else, but I've forgotten what it was - but we can survive on what we do have for another couple of weeks.
I think these are actual shortages rather than panic buying - which seems to have died down now.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ventured out today and could not get mushrooms, Greek yoghurt, frozen green beans - and something else, but I've forgotten what it was - but we can survive on what we do have for another couple of weeks.
I think these are actual shortages rather than panic buying - which seems to have died down now.
Greek yoghurt (in small tubs) is something I often have supply issues with anyway, but mine comes online.
So far I've been lucky with getting most of the stuff I need to order, with the exception of my favourite stir fry mix, though oddly all the ingredients are nearly always readily available individually!o_O

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Are they any cheaper to buy via prescription?These gluten free products are always more expensive in shops.

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Shortages might be the other concern now, not through bulk buying, but the production of stuff not being as efficient because of this virus.

[moderator radio edit.]

Last edited by a moderator:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are they any cheaper to buy via prescription?These gluten free products are always more expensive in shops.

I have absolutely no idea.

Bearing in mind I haven't eaten grains for over 6 years, in more recent times, my personal exposure to gluten was only ever in the weird stuff like soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, seasonings, a rare cola and so on.

To my understanding, most prescribing CCGs only prescribe a very narrow range of items, such as bread products. Coeliac Disease (the only time a GP would prescribe GF foodstuffs, I'd think) does not entitle a person to a prescription charge exemption, although all the usual age, maternity, and other conditions might.

Having recently been served a couple of gluten-free in-flight meals, including baked products, I'll quite happily continue to just avoid them. Paying the £9.15 prescription charge for a couple of dense loaves wouldn't be happening in my world.

For me, the pesky stuff, like seasonings using wheat flour as a bulking agent are the trip-up points.

(For the avoidance of doubt, my own tests for coeliac were inconclusive, so I have no skin in this particular ring.)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Or similiar. Old fruit/veg +multivitamins vouchers for kids I found very helpful. Milk vouchers were predecessor.
Just finally got through all hoops to apply for local store vouchers which replace their school meals. Shame local store prices are higher but needs must!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Shortages might be the other concern now, not through bulk buying, but the production of stuff not being as efficient because of this virus.

[moderator radio edit.]
Yes because all the catering kitchens who bought in bulk for mass meals to be professionally cooked are not being sold but instead grocery stores are needed more. Mind u many chefs and their expensive suppliers used to pop into Tesco etc (delivery drivers) under their bosses instructions and then receipts cleared under petty cash. Where there's demand and a promise, needs must.
A shake up from demand. Less wastage and cheaper meals though.

A great time to stop take-aways... Don't you think?

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had no problems finding my products for my usual diet.
A lot of it has to do with the fact, that the label "vegan" seems to put people off, so I can get as much of my soy-oats-yoghurt as I want.
Peanutbutter and other nutbutters are available here too, as well as fresh produce, cheese and nuts.

My totally normal eating husband on the other hand, has had some difficulties in the first weeks to get his hand on regular plain yoghurt. It's not a problem anymore though.

Last edited:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes because all the catering kitchens who bought in bulk for mass meals to be professionally cooked are not being sold but instead grocery stores are needed more. Mind u many chefs and their expensive suppliers used to pop into Tesco etc (delivery drivers) under their bosses instructions and then receipts cleared under petty cash. Where there's demand and a promise, needs must.
A shake up from demand. Less wastage and cheaper meals though.

A great time to stop take-aways... Don't you think?
My hubby works as an area director for an international contract catering company - those places that are now closed or are on reduced services for critical workers got rid of all their stock by making up boxes of essentials for food banks and vulnerable people, some places they are still cooking meals for the community and homeless in those areas. Nothing is going to waste

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My hubby works as an area director for an international contract catering company - those places that are now closed or are on reduced services for critical workers got rid of all their stock by making up boxes of essentials for food banks and vulnerable people, some places they are still cooking meals for the community and homeless in those areas. Nothing is going to waste

Hi,

Kinda what I've been seeing on the news, along with good deeds of folk utilising laser printers to produce PPE for vital services..

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Wow. Actually I did see someone on TV do the same. A company I know wouldn't hv been so generous, unfortunately. Luckily the good people in this world will always be respected. And thanked I'm sure.
Last week I clapped for the binmen/women and shop workers who work to help us all. Tonight is the nhs again, I think.
Maybe charity givers should get a week of appreciation shown? They definately deserve it too.
Myself I appreciate ANY support. I've been struggling pre-virus. I feel the support and able to decide what's essential or not.
I'm thankful though that shops are not just stocking essentials to stop total boredom. We've ordered board games and educational books. Essential for the little one's busy mind. Taking weeks to arrive but are arriving. Luckily.
Birthday essentials for 4 are still needed in but only hv a week now.
More is now needed as we used to go out for the day and maybe ate out too.
More carrying of heavy bags as still without a MOT'd car.
If I'm being honest this situation is burning me out. More of everything needed. Of which I'm restricted by bad walking from trapped nerves in lower back and neck. Now starting to hv accidents and unable to fully mobilise the kids and other half has he's own issues. We struggled before these changes.
Myself I hv to be very very desperate to ask for help. Loads available but only want to use it when my situation is on the floor. Otherwise the givers will get exhausted and maybe exploited.
They are all heroes to me.