Is exercise good for you?

dcoppard

Not a silly question because obviously it is. However I'm just wondering if anybody has the same problem that I seem to have.

Generally speaking my blood sugar levels are pretty good. Although I'm a Type 2 who has now progressed after about 12 years to having to take Lantus and occasionally Nova Rapid along with Metformin, 95% of the time my readings before meals are in the range 4 to 6. :thumbup: However I have noticed that if I do any exercise or manual work, even though my diet and medication hasn't changed, when I take my blood sugar reading before the next meal it suddenly seems to rise to somewhere between 7 and 9. :thumbdown:

Now I have two theories about this. Either exercise raises certain hormone levels which affects blood sugar levels or perhaps the extra physical work means that my blood sugar levels are being affected by my liver releasing glucose.

This week has been particularly frustrating. I've been erecting a new shed in my garden but because of the weather I've only been able to do it every other day. On the days I work my sugar levels rise, on the days I don't they fall back to normal.

Perhaps someone can tell me if this happens to them as well. What I'm particularly interested in is whether I should alter my medication to combat this or accept its just one of those things. (I can use the Nova Rapid to quickly adjust my levels but I'm reluctant to do that in these circumstances because it seems a bit over the top for something that almost certainly isn't food related).

I suppose I could become a couch potatoe and have really good levels but I wouldn't think that my GP would be too happy :D

Any thoughts gratefully received.

A

Anonymous

forgive me, because I'm quoting here but..

"Moderate to strenuous exercise, such as swimming, running, weight lifting or tennis, as opposed to more casual exercise, such as walking - causes an immediate release of "stress" hormones. These signal the liver and muscles to return glucose to the bloodstream by converting stored glycogen into glucose"

that's a bit of what Bernstein says in "the diabetes solution"..

could it be that?

DavideB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Interesting point dcoppard: I normally do a good 50 minute walk in the evening or do an hour wii then the next day my BS are about 6-6.3 when I do not exercise my BS in the morning is below 6.. :?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Never forget that the guy who popularised jogging died of a heart attack - whilst out jogging :wink: