Is Houmous bad for bs levels?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
LondonKiwi said:
I was told that pulses don't affect bs levels too badly.
As Houmous is made from chickpeas is it OK?

They certainly affect my bs levels ! The only way to be certain is to test before eating them, then two hours after and three hours to check how far they raise your bs levels.

Commercially produced Humous can vary from 4.9 to 18 gm of carb per 100 gm so it is best to check packaging for carb content.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I found that houmous didn't affect my bg levels too much, unfortunately the pitta bread did :roll: so just an occasional treat now for me.

But you need to try it and test, both could be OK for you :)

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Tesco does a nice houmous with lemon, chick peas, lentils and a few other "compliant" foods mixed in. Only 2% sugar per 100g too. :D

Carb value per 100g is 12.7 of which 2.8 sugars (2%)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Chick Peas and Lentils are things I can't handle well......sends my Bg through the roof. I wish I could eat them.....used to love chick peas in a curry......not any more though.

Tried the humous and that too just raised my Bg to unacceptable levels for me. As the others have said, testing is the only way to find out if they are good or bad for your Bg levels. This stuff always sounds healthy......but it just isn't for all of us. Shame. :(

Ken

m4z

Sid Bonkers said:
I found that houmous didn't affect my bg levels too much, unfortunately the pitta bread did :roll: so just an occasional treat now for me.

But you need to try it and test, both could be OK for you :)

It's not quite as nice as pitta - but houmous with carrot sticks is quite yummy :)

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
All pulses send my levels through the roof. :cry: :( :roll:

Dobbs

I find a modest amount of humous with cucumber or carrot sticks is pretty OK. I seem to have more difficulty with lentils, which is a drag as I love lentils.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Personally I prefer taramasatta; although I do eat both. :D

ShyGirl

I don't do condiments but when I asked about veg I was just told everyone is different. I actually knew that and was just interested how much others could tolerate veg.
Anyway , you could try it then test and see what happens? I was told to eat pulses last week :|

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Veg are very healthy and good for you shygirl; particularly when you are growing up.

I eat brussel sprouts, carrots, broccali mainly with small amounts of potato; either mashed, roasted or boiled

ShyGirl

Ardbeg said:
Veg are very healthy and good for you shygirl; particularly when you are growing up.

I eat brussel sprouts, carrots, broccali mainly with small amounts of potato; either mashed, roasted or boiled

I eat a ridiculous amount of vegetables and don't want to give up carrots and corn as they are my among my favourites.
Onions , mushrooms , celery , broccoli , courgettes , sprouts etc are lovely but I wish are vegetables were equal carb wise!

LondonKiwi

Well I tried some Houmous today for lunch. I had 115g with 2 wholemeal pita breads (yes I measured the pot on my electronic scales before and after). It was the Marks & Spencer "normal" houmous (ie not the low fat one). Before lunch my bg was 5.4 and my 2 hour reading afterwards was 6.6. I deliberately did nothing (except read the newspaper) during the 2 hours to get a reading not involving exercise etc.

Looks like it something I can stil eat :D Now where's those chocolate digestives...