Is it just me

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had at least 4 GP appointments since being diagnosed (10 weeks ago), with diabetes related issues. Each appointment meant a prescription. I am not on benefits but I certainly couldn't have afforded to pay £100 for those appointments plus prescription charges.
I agree that would not be fair or workable. The main thing that needs to be discouraged 'for free' is people who see the GP for a 'cold' or similar when it's not really necessary. Anyone diagnosed with a specific condition such as diabetes should have their costs fully covered. In the USA for example the local pharmacy RX counters provide a lot of support for minor conditions.

Dark Horse

I like to see the different points of view that you all have made but here is something that i do not understand. In april 2015 i had a SPK transplant which went well but also showed how much damage the diabetes had caused. Now after my transplant i was told that i would have to pay for my anti-rejection drugs as they are not classed as life saving drugs, so if i could not afford the drugs then my transplant would have been for nothing. As it is my children live with me and i get them free for now. I know the NHS needs more money and a 1p tax rise which could go to the NHS would be a start but we also need nursing homes for older people. The opt out policy i agree with but then more beds, nurses, consultants and other health people would be needed but if there are no beds or not enough staff then organs will be wasted. When i was on the transplant ward most night there would be 1 nurses and 2 HCA, now most people have had transplants or are very ill and need constant care. If a organ was found through the night then these 3 staff were suppose to cope, the day before my transplant i needed a ECG but there was not enough staff so i walked up myself and took the results back. I am not saying that all public sector workers do not deserve a pay rise but Mrs May said there was no money tree until her job was on the line and she found a billion pound to keep herself in a job.
When you are no longer eligible for free prescriptions, you should be able to buy a Prescription Prepayment Certificate which costs £104 for 12 months and covers all prescriptions. https://apps.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/ppcwebsales/patient.do

There is a campaign by the Prescription Charges Coalition for prescriptions in England to be free to everyone with a long-term medical condition - the BBC report about is here:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40431800

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like to see the different points of view that you all have made but here is something that i do not understand. In april 2015 i had a SPK transplant which went well but also showed how much damage the diabetes had caused. Now after my transplant i was told that i would have to pay for my anti-rejection drugs as they are not classed as life saving drugs, so if i could not afford the drugs then my transplant would have been for nothing. As it is my children live with me and i get them free for now. I know the NHS needs more money and a 1p tax rise which could go to the NHS would be a start but we also need nursing homes for older people. The opt out policy i agree with but then more beds, nurses, consultants and other health people would be needed but if there are no beds or not enough staff then organs will be wasted. When i was on the transplant ward most night there would be 1 nurses and 2 HCA, now most people have had transplants or are very ill and need constant care. If a organ was found through the night then these 3 staff were suppose to cope, the day before my transplant i needed a ECG but there was not enough staff so i walked up myself and took the results back. I am not saying that all public sector workers do not deserve a pay rise but Mrs May said there was no money tree until her job was on the line and she found a billion pound to keep herself in a job.
My husband was in the same position - after an operation for an aortic aneurysm, replacement heart valve and pace maker 10 years ago he has to have pills to control his heart beat and warfarin to prevent his blood clotting but he had to pay for them through an annual prescription card until last year when he was 60. However it doesn’t bear thinking about as to how we could have paid for it without the NHS.

Reactions: donnellysdogs