Is it just me?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone else out there doing keto and having issues with arthritis ?

https://www.everydayhealth.com/rheumatoid-arthritis/will-keto-diet-help-ease-joint-pain/

Quite the reverse, although I had to ditch most plant foods to get a significant improvement - too much veg (green, above ground)/nuts triggers it again. Anecdotally have heard the same from many others. That’s osteoarthritis, not rheumatoid.

That article looks like it’s written by someone with an agenda rather than being based on solid evidence, so I’d do a bit more digging if I were you.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No, nor me, quite the opposite.
During my last year's in production, RSA, carpal tunnel, my hands, thumbs and fingers had arthritis. After my carpal tunnel op and subsequent Keto diet, I have been pain free. Also after a recent cat scan, other than wear and tear due to my age, the scan was clear.

I have had a few bone density tests and being lactose intolerant, I have to get calcium from something else, that is something to consider. There could be any number of reasons why you have the inflammation, alongside your diabetes.

Keep safe.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I have osteo, not rheumatoid arthritis.

the root of my osteo seems to be twofold - the first is a lifetime (54 yrs) of hyper mobile joints, which has led to significant wear on my knees, with consequent osteo.
I may have arthritis started elsewhere, but the only other place I am aware of it is my thumbs (another weak point for hyper mobility).

diet plays a huge part in triggering flare ups. Particularly grains, potatoes, tomatoes and peppers.

Keto foods and most other veg seem to have no effect on my joints, but FODMAP veg can play havoc with my digestion.

In contrast, someone I knew years ago found that her arthritis flare ups were caused by alcohol and red meat.

Personally, I’m convinced that we are just as individual in our arthritis situation as we are with our glucose dysregulation.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Hi all....After researching google scholar there seems to be much conflicting info. My situation is I've been low carb / keto for around 4 years. Around 2 years ago my left hand started developing bone spurs , I only noticed as changing gear on my bike started to be painful. Its progressed . pre diagnosis I was very much veggy , now I eat very very few veggies of any sort and no fruit.... My carb intake is primarily from a handful of almonds and a glass of red wine most days. Could be the nuts? could be the wine? According to some its the eggs which I eat every single day or the red meat which I eat most days.....It could of course be sods law and there may not be anything I can do about it, but I thought I'd ask ....so thanks for sharing your real life experiences .... In an ideal world I would be able to go and see a doctor and discuss this but this is England in 2021 and my doctor tells me I'm not eating enough carbs and testing creates anxiety ....