Is it ok to increase my metformin ?

floridagal

Diagnosed last week type 2 started my metformin 500mg with breakfast on wednesday. DN told me to take one a day for two weeks then if I had no side effects increase it to two a day.

I feel fine on them and really want to get going on the higher dose.
Do you think I can increase the dose now ? or am I missing something like side effects might not start till after first two weeks ?

Thanks

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I think you should do as the nurse suggested. If you do get metformin side-effects you may find you have to stay within 10 metres of a bathroom for a while - the side-effects can be very urgent and quite uncontrollable :shock:

I've adapted to it well, but I added my second after a week and got the side effects. Be patient - give your system time to get used to it. :D

Viv 8)

Grazer

I think it's more to do with avoiding the tummy type side effects you can get, by allowing your body to adjust. If you're on Slow Release metformin (metformin SR) there's no need to delay the 2 a day regime because you shouldn't get those side effects. If you're on normal metformin, why not wait the 2 weeks? Won't make that much difference to your BGs in that period, so why risk rocking the boat?

floridagal

yeah your both right I am probably rushing it and after reading the marginal effect metformin has on bs levels there is no rush I suppose but I am am glad to be taking it after reading the many beneficial sides of it in prevention of complications.

Must admit I am a bit scared of the side effects ! Maybe I will be ok. :)

Grazer

floridagal said:
Must admit I am a bit scared of the side effects ! Maybe I will be ok.

Don't worry, we all are! :thumbdown: Good diet and exercise is the best way to look after that and give us the best chance of avoiding them.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Never disagree with the sheep! :wink:

Viv 8)

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
floridagal said:
after reading the marginal effect metformin has on bs levels there is no rush I suppose

viv and grazer are right that probably at the moment it will make no real difference to your BG levels but don't underestimate the usefulness of Metformin. I was diagnosed 8 weeks ago and am low carbing at roughly 50 to 60g of carbs a day and take 2 x Metformin each day with no side effects. My BS levels are now back in the 4.5 to 6.5 range at all times and started in the 20's

Metformin may only reduce your "background" BS levels by around 1 mmol/l but with me I noticed a definite improvement with the BS spikes you get after eating. The effect happened within a couple of days after starting to take it. That is pretty useful as the extra tiny bit of latitude it gives you in what you can eat at anyone mealtime is really good.

If you low carb at whatever level you find suits you and then get control of your levels then pretty soon you'll be worrying about the gp taking it away like many of us do!

I also thoroughly recommend sids recommendation (in the other thread) that you test with a blood sugar meter. I test before and then 2 hours after every meal. If you have a long gap between when you wake up and have breakfast test when you wake up as well. Keeps me on the straight and narrow and importantly will tell you what you can and can't eat.