1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Guna108, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Guna108

Guna108 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My BG was 5.8 when I tested it upon waking up this morning. Eyesight has got blurrier though close up- can hardly use my phone to text or read the laptop.

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Something that happens when you rapidly improve your BG levels.
    Deep breath and patience, I think.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Guna108

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I took my bg yesterday when I came in from work and it was 7.2 - I had fasted all day. I then ate 100g of cucumber, 2 cherry tomatoes and 40g of almonds , tested 2 hours later and my bg was 5.7. I don't really understand enough about bg to know why it was higher when fasting, but went down after eating. Is this what happens to most people?

4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

You are still fairly early on in your journey so your body probably still has some excess glucose.. when you don't eat this glucose is dumped out into the blood to be used as fuel.
    When you ate something you caused an insulin response which will lower your blood sugar because you ate a low carb meal there wasn't any excess sugar to be removed from the blood supply so your BG went down.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Guna108

Thank you for that clear explanation. So at this stage with my diabetes, is it better to fast more often or to eat very low carb meals in order to get rid of the excess glucose? How is it got rid of? Is it by weight loss? Sorry if I am asking the obvious.

6. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

The best way to get rid of excess glucose is not to put any in your mouth. It is that simple.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

I do both.. and suggest it's the most effective way.. try to eat once or twice a day and eat ultra low carb when you do..

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook