Is it safe to skip eating all day when on no Carb or sugar?

Stephen Bond

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Bureaucracy. Poor quality. Boredom
Hi all!

I just started my second week of Ozempic and today I have not felt hungry all day. Is it safe to skip eating completely today?

Last week I stopped all sugar and carbs, and stuck to green leafy veg, meat, Greek yogurt and berries. Lost 7 kg over the week and Glucose is 4.6 this evening, before eating anything, just had a few black teas. Last thing I ate was yesterday at 8 pm, so 22 hour fast so far…. Should I leave eating until tomorrow morning? Very busy next three days!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The concern that occurs to me first is hypoglycaemia as ozempic increases insulin output. I believe it is mostly in response to food intake but I’d still monitor very closely and for now in your shoes I’d not push it past one meal a day until you can check with your dr.

I am surprised you are on this medication though. In the U.K. prediabetes is not treated with medication usually and this is not a first line medication either normally (metformin usually comes first). If you are as low carb as you describe do you really even need it as your diet will do the same thing without the side effects this (and all) medications may have?

• Agree
Reactions: Robbity and EllieM