Is it too late to put myself up for adoption?

G

gemma6549

This is pretty, but not entirely off topic!

I'm on the verge of turning 30 but i really would like some new parents!

I know i could just go on without having contact with them but sometimes i do feel im missing out on that motherly/fatherly care and guidance in my life.

The relevance of it to my diabetes- they cause me alot of stress and it instantly effects my sugar levels - does this mean i can divorce them on medical grounds?

Reactions: 7 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
as a grown woman, you can do whatever you like.............. ;)

how much stress can parents cause you at 30 years of age..........are you still at home........?

Reactions: 4 people
G

gemma6549

Oh god no i left home at 16!

My mums a heavy/ violent drinker carrying a lot of bitterness! i have slowly distanced myself over the past few years, mainly because ive learned to like and value myself enough! and because its not really fair on my husband to bring that negativity into his life.

The problem is that i find it hard to stop myself from caring completely.

I know the nature of this topic is ridiculous! but i think i just need to vent a little!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I understand completely.........you will never stop loving your parents, even if they are as you described...........

you know the drink is responsible for the behaviour and that underneath she's still your mum....

its good to show support and try and bring some normality into her life for sure......but at the same time allowing yourself to live your own life....

reading that back it sounds quite emotional for a Friday afternoon.......

:)

G

gemma6549

Yes it does!!

I Think i've just wasted too many years craving this love and relationship that i'm never going to have, wish is why at just shy of 30 i still feel like i want a mum and dad.

I think i just need to realise i will have to do without and accepting things as they are will mean i can carry on with my life without giving it more thought than it deserves.

Thanks for the deep and meaningful chat @novorapidboi26 :)

Reactions: 8 people

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit of a tricky subject, this: there's a quote (which, needless to say, I can't exactly remember) which says something along the lines of "you can't chose your family but, thank God, you can chose your friends". There's a terrible pressure to be a loving son/daughter/whatever but it's not always fair to expect people to do so.

I adored my mother but have always had a prickly relationship with my father, who basically b*g99ered off abroad with a younger woman when we were kids, and left my mum without financial or any other kind of support. Inevitably, my mother died relatively young, in her fifties, whilst my dad is still with us, at nearly 90, and back in the UK. He is a grumpy, disagreeable and racist old man, who suddenly started wanting to play happy families 20 years ago, when we had kids, and who apparently complains to others that we hardly ever let him see his grandchildren (who don't exactly find him a barrel of laughs). The irony of the fact that he hardly saw his own kids for years, apparently escapes him. The only saving grace is that he is still with the "younger woman", who is only in her early 70s and, as such, is able to drive him around, and generally look after him, thus saving myself, my wife and my brother and his girlfriend from having to do so.

Arguably I'm not a very good son, but I know exactly how you feel and I have a checklist of behaviours to avoid in the interest of (I hope) maintaining a better relationship with my kids than I have done with my dad :). I'm lucky, in that my In-laws are great, and I have always got on very well with them, so I feel as if they are substitute parents, in many ways.

Looks like I needed a good rant as well and I'm, erm, a fair bit older than you! Don't beat yourself up about your relationship with your parents: families are sent to try us :D.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Novorapidboia is right, you never stop loving your parents and when they are gone its too late to make amends, try your best to keep some sort of relationship with your parents but not to the detriment of the family you have now Gemma, its not a nice situation to be in and you have my sympathies.

Reactions: 2 people
G

gemma6549

Bit of a tricky subject, this: there's a quote (which, needless to say, I can't exactly remember) which says something along the lines of "you can't chose your family but, thank God, you can chose your friends". There's a terrible pressure to be a loving son/daughter/whatever but it's not always fair to expect people to do so.

I adored my mother but have always had a prickly relationship with my father, who basically b*g99ered off abroad with a younger woman when we were kids, and left my mum without financial or any other kind of support. Inevitably, my mother died relatively young, in her fifties, whilst my dad is still with us, at nearly 90, and back in the UK. He is a grumpy, disagreeable and racist old man, who suddenly started wanting to play happy families 20 years ago, when we had kids, and who apparently complains to others that we hardly ever let him see his grandchildren (who don't exactly find him a barrel of laughs). The irony of the fact that he hardly saw his own kids for years, apparently escapes him. The only saving grace is that he is still with the "younger woman", who is only in her early 70s and, as such, is able to drive him around, and generally look after him, thus saving myself, my wife and my brother and his girlfriend from having to do so.

Arguably I'm not a very good son, but I know exactly how you feel and I have a checklist of behaviours to avoid in the interest of (I hope) maintaining a better relationship with my kids than I have done with my dad :). I'm lucky, in that my In-laws are great, and I have always got on very well with them, so I feel as if they are substitute parents, in many ways.

Looks like I needed a good rant as well and I'm, erm, a fair bit older than you! Don't beat yourself up about your relationship with your parents: families are sent to try us :D.

Thanks for such an open and honest response, and thank you @noblehead for your wise words as always :)

I adored my dad because after him and my mum divorced when I was 8 she would tell me he didn't love me and wished I hadn't been born, which just made me want his love and approval more. He then met someone new when I was 23 who said she wasn't interested in his daughters, only him. So he cut all ties with me and my sister, didn't even come to my wedding.

So overall I'm not impressed! Especially because I want a family so badly, but that's probably because I have all this love built up to give to someone.

I think I've just never understood why people have children if they don't really want them.

Like you @jay hay-char I plan on using my experience to be a better parent to my children and not make the same mistakes.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
We will be your new family, I am 57 and would adopt you and probably others too. One of my parents was quite cold, no drinking but a bit Victorian and no great show of love or a cuddle or a hug. This parent wasn't well liked by some, just something you couldn't put your finger on, but I still kiss my teen and we hug. Because of the lack of affection, I have had to work hard to 'not be that parent' and I hope my teen and my two grown up children, who I love very much, know that I do love and cherish them.

RRB x

Reactions: 6 people
G

gemma6549

We will be your new family, I am 57 and would adopt you and probably others too. One of my parents was quite cold, no drinking but a bit Victorian and no great show of love or a cuddle or a hug. This parent wasn't well liked by some, just something you couldn't put your finger on, but I still kiss my teen and we hug. Because of the lack of affection, I have had to work hard to 'not be that parent' and I hope my teen and my two grown up children, who I love very much, know that I do love and cherish them.

RRB x

I'm glad that you've managed to be affectionate to your children and I'm sure they know you love them. You're always very kind and thoughtful on the forum which comes across to me as someone who is a loving person.

I'll organise the paperwork for you to sign and I'm yours :)

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm glad that you've managed to be affectionate to your children and I'm sure they know you love them. You're always very kind and thoughtful on the forum which comes across to me as someone who is a loving person.

I'll organise the paperwork for you to sign and I'm yours :)

I hope you know what you getting yourself into, I can be bonkers sometimes especially with that Bee in the bonnet syndrome. Hope you like animals, I have two cats, who I love so much This is Pebbles a few moments ago<3

webcam-toy-photo102.jpg

G

gemma6549

I hope you know what you getting yourself into, I can be bonkers sometimes especially with that Bee in the bonnet syndrome. Hope you like animals, I have two cats, who I love so much This is Pebbles a few moments ago<3

View attachment 13063

Love animals :) more than people most the time!

We have a rescue dog Oscar the chihuahua who was caged and beaten for the first 10 months of his life. He's been a lot of work but so worth it, he can be aggressive when he's frightened but only because humans made him that way.

We also have a miniature daschund, maggie who is only 7 months.

Our old cat Rosie died a year ago but she was 21 bless her.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reactions: 10 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Love animals :) more than people most the time!

We have a rescue dog Oscar the chihuahua who was caged and beaten for the first 10 months of his life. He's been a lot of work but so worth it, he can be aggressive when he's frightened but only because humans made him that way.

We also have a miniature daschund, maggie who is only 7 months.

Our old cat Rosie died a year ago but she was 21 bless her.View attachment 13064View attachment 13065

Aawww, so cute :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
This is pretty, but not entirely off topic!

I'm on the verge of turning 30 but i really would like some new parents!

I know i could just go on without having contact with them but sometimes i do feel im missing out on that motherly/fatherly care and guidance in my life.

The relevance of it to my diabetes- they cause me alot of stress and it instantly effects my sugar levels - does this mean i can divorce them on medical grounds?

Could we sign up as twins for adoption please?

I left home at 15 years 11months old.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes, RRB promised I could be adopted after "the royals" visited a few weeks ago.

I will never have my parents visit me again and in the future when I have to visit them- me and hubby will stay in a B&B and literally areange to meet them at a neutral venue.

You're not the only one, believe me!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Love dogs n cats... We'll both settle in with RRB really easily.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1429299795.993403.jpg

My old girlie Freya. No longer with us.

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

So overall I'm not impressed! Especially because I want a family so badly, but that's probably because I have all this love built up to give to someone.

I think I've just never understood why people have children if they don't really want them.

Like you @jay hay-char I plan on using my experience to be a better parent to my children and not make the same mistakes.
Being a parent has its challenges, but (although I am agnostic :)) I regularly get down on my knees and give thanks to Theoretical God for giving me the gift of two brilliant kids :)

I get the feeling that you'd be a great mum....

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
:)If anyone would like a virtual Granny , I`m free ;) Well , actually , I`m not really free as I have 16 grandchildren, but whats another one or two ;) I also had a miserable childhood , but it gave me the strength to be a better parent than mine were , to be compassionate and loving where both of these elements were sadly missing for me . I also adore animals , working as a volunteer for the Blue Cross on the Pet Bereavement Support Service for many years , I have rescue Millie ( in my avatar ) of indeterminate age, plus my four year old black Lab Sam, both much loved

Reactions: 5 people