is it too late to reverse diabetes?

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
I can eat the junk again and have a normal blood glucose response to it (have done many tests). I call this reversed. However, I do know that if (please not let it be when) I go back to being as big as I was I will redevelop the abnormal response. My body is still genetically incompetent, but at least now I know about it. My body may well be somewhat damaged by my previous high levels so that it may return sooner if I grow outwards again than it did last time.

Additionally the diagnoses could be wrong and some of us T2s are actually monogenic or late onset T1s and although losing weight and diet/exercise helps it will only hold it back for some period of time. This is one of the reasons we have to continue to be monitored for up to 4 years according to professor taylor.

Same for me. You are 4 lbs ahead of me now Andrew! Exactly the same weight loss and very very similar readings.

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
@jack412
As you know, most people don't change the way they eat when their diet finishes and eventually put back on the weight they lost. what I think is also important for us diabetics is to work out what we can happily eat for the rest of our lives and keep our weight healthy and our BG good. with that in mind I have chosen the LCHF way of eating for the rest of my life
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf[/QUOTE]

Me too!

Reactions: 9 people

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
@jack412
As you know, most people don't change the way they eat when their diet finishes and eventually put back on the weight they lost. what I think is also important for us diabetics is to work out what we can happily eat for the rest of our lives and keep our weight healthy and our BG good. with that in mind I have chosen the LCHF way of eating for the rest of my life
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Me too![/QUOTE]
And thanks to your preaching about saturated fat ... I've changed my position and eating more and losing again on a temporary low cal diet.

Had best BG day ever yesterday and today and cut back on both evening and morning insulin. Know it is the diet because I've not exercised for almost a week because I hurt my back.

Thx you scandichick

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
And thanks to your preaching about saturated fat ... I've changed my position and eating more and losing again on a temporary low cal diet.

Had best BG day ever yesterday and today and cut back on both evening and morning insulin. Know it is the diet because I've not exercised for almost a week because I hurt my back.

Thx you scandichick

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App[/QUOTE]
I'm converting folk one at a time!
image.jpg
Hope you get better soon!

Reactions: 6 people

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
Yesterday BS after exercise on treadmill was 3.8. Lowest it has ever been. Is this actually too low?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It probably will not stay there for long. I have managed to get down to 3.2 but only for a few minutes when my liver decided to help me out.

So I wouldn't worry about 3.8.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It probably will not stay there for long. I have managed to get down to 3.2 but only for a few minutes when my liver decided to help me out.

So I wouldn't worry about 3.8.

Thank you - seemed bizarre for me to be worrying about low levels!
Regarding knowing if the diabetes has been reversed - what should I be looking for exactly? Normal range levels all the time? After eating 'normal' food? For a particular period of time?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Regarding knowing if the diabetes has been reversed - what should I be looking for exactly? Normal range levels all the time? After eating 'normal' food? For a particular period of time?

I don't think there's really a silver bullet answer to this. Yes it would be nice to have normal range levels all the time, and if you want to go back to 'normal' food all you can do is keep testing to see what your tolerances are. But in the wider scheme we are still diabetic and basically what we do now to restore and sustain controlled levels will apply indefinitely whether we consider the diabetes to be 'reversed' or not.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reversing diabetes is a wonderful goal and I say GO FOR IT

But let us get real (and a lot of the posts above are very real).

I don't believe that MY diabetes is reversible.
I have 6 or 7 different contributing factors (weight, PCOS, 47 years of impaired glucose handling by my liver and pancreas, medication that causes insulin resistance, very wangy output from pituitary gland and family history of type 2 on both sides of family).

Losing weight ain't gonna cut it for me. I accept this. I do the best I can (diet, exercise, lifestyle changes, reading, learning, realistic goals)
And I am significantly more content accepting the reality of my personal situation than chasing a dream of dropping a few stone and being reborn as 'normal'.
I ain't been normal since I had my first hypo at 3 years old (and I wasn't overweight then)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reversing diabetes is a wonderful goal and I say GO FOR IT

But let us get real (and a lot of the posts above are very real).

I don't believe that MY diabetes is reversible.
I have 6 or 7 different contributing factors (weight, PCOS, 47 years of impaired glucose handling by my liver and pancreas, medication that causes insulin resistance, very wangy output from pituitary gland and family history of type 2 on both sides of family).

Losing weight ain't gonna cut it for me. I accept this. I do the best I can (diet, exercise, lifestyle changes, reading, learning, realistic goals)
And I am significantly more content accepting the reality of my personal situation than chasing a dream of dropping a few stone and being reborn as 'normal'.
I ain't been normal since I had my first hypo at 3 years old (and I wasn't overweight then)!

Something that worries me, Brunneria, is that by posting information on my efforts to achieve the holy grail of diabetes reversal, is that for those folks who are not going to be able to do so it could be demoralising. There is, to me no bigger a pain in the rear than someone who has achieved something such as giving up smoking, or losing lots of weight going round preaching to others. Particularly annoying is the well worn phrase "if I can do it anyone can". Makes me want to thump the person coming out with that one. In reality, anyone who has achieved a good result at whatever, then well done to them, but they should not project their circumstances and experiences onto someone else.

Science doesn't have all the answers. Human beings are complicated, and what works for one could be damaging to another. I particularly admire your acceptance of the limitations in being able to "cure" your diabetes. Also, that you are pragmatic about your health, and proactive in keeping as well as you can through your exercise, diet, learning and goal setting etc. much more healthy than beating yourself up about not being able to have something that is no available to you.

Be well
Pipp

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is, to me no bigger a pain in the rear than someone who has achieved something such as giving up smoking, or losing lots of weight going round preaching to others. Particularly annoying is the well worn phrase "if I can do it anyone can". Makes me want to thump the person coming out with that one.
Pipp

Yes, Pipp, I agree. A doctor once said that to me. She had given me a GI based diet to try which I followed to the letter, weighing everything. When I saw the quantity of food I was allowed to eat on this plan, I told her that I wouldn't lose weight on that. She then said that phrase. I did the diet, I put on 4 lbs after the first week and another 4 lbs after the 2nd week. Before that I had been putting on 7lbs every year. I gave up and never went back to that doctor because by her attitude, I knew she would think I had cheated on the plan.

When I have said 'I can't lose weight' to people in the past they have assumed I meant I have no willpower. I meant 'my body doesn't lose weight, despite my efforts'. I expressed this on this forum, many months ago now, and have been given lots of good, helpful advice.

Yes we are all individuals and it can be demoralising when you see others succeeding where you can't. Even then though, I have often found that one tiny tip, one small phrase can help to point me in the right direction. It may not be the complete answer to all my problems but it's a start. What demoralises one person can give hope to another.

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Zand

It has taken me 20 years to find a method that seems to be working for me. That is why I feel inclined to share it with enthusiasm. The tried and tested recommended ways by health professionals have only caused me to gain more weight, and be diabetic. Nurses and dieticians have all given me healthy eating plans which for me have been anything but that. Nobody but myself is an expert on how my body (and mind) is working. We all have similar mechanical components, but how everything interacts with all the food, environment, levels of hormones, emotional issues etc., is unique to each of us. I think it is important to know oneself as much as is possible, and to find out as much as possible through reading, trying things and learning from others. Even the stuff the dieticians recommend. That is why I find reading the posts on here so invaluable.
Be well
Pipp

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Something that worries me, Brunneria, is that by posting information on my efforts to achieve the holy grail of diabetes reversal, is that for those folks who are not going to be able to do so it could be demoralising. There is, to me no bigger a pain in the rear than someone who has achieved something such as giving up smoking, or losing lots of weight going round preaching to others. Particularly annoying is the well worn phrase "if I can do it anyone can". Makes me want to thump the person coming out with that one. In reality, anyone who has achieved a good result at whatever, then well done to them, but they should not project their circumstances and experiences onto someone else.

Science doesn't have all the answers. Human beings are complicated, and what works for one could be damaging to another. I particularly admire your acceptance of the limitations in being able to "cure" your diabetes. Also, that you are pragmatic about your health, and proactive in keeping as well as you can through your exercise, diet, learning and goal setting etc. much more healthy than beating yourself up about not being able to have something that is no available to you.

Be well
Pipp

Oh Pipp, please don't feel you can't celebrate your success! I think it is marvellous, and you should shout it from the rafters.

We are all looking for the holy grail. It just so happens that we each have different holy grails. Lol.

Mine is ketosis. It's wonderful. I keep with LCHF, but the goal is always ketosis. I don't hit it all the time (much of the time), but that is my aim, and it is the only way I can be comfortable in my own body, avoid hypers and hypos, and maybe lose a bit of weight.

Sometimes I can't believe that everyone on this forum doesn't 'see the light' because it is so bloomin obvious to me that ketosis is 'the one true way'. Lol.

But of course it isn't - and I'm really grateful whenever anyone else finds their own grail AND shouts about it! Because there are other people out there who will find something useful in our experience.

X

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh Pipp, please don't feel you can't celebrate your success! I think it is marvellous, and you should shout it from the rafters.

We are all looking for the holy grail. It just so happens that we each have different holy grails. Lol.

Mine is ketosis. It's wonderful. I keep with LCHF, but the goal is always ketosis. I don't hit it all the time (much of the time), but that is my aim, and it is the only way I can be comfortable in my own body, avoid hypers and hypos, and maybe lose a bit of weight.

Sometimes I can't believe that everyone on this forum doesn't 'see the light' because it is so bloomin obvious to me that ketosis is 'the one true way'. Lol.

But of course it isn't - and I'm really grateful whenever anyone else finds their own grail AND shouts about it! Because there are other people out there who will find something useful in our experience.

X

I did celebrate when I first managed to 'reverse' my diabetes. That was one problem out of the way. Still have the other health problems and the obesity, with the spectre of diabetes returning. Yes, I know it never really went away, but BG has been normal for two and a half years.

I think you have a valid point about ketosis, Brunneria. It was that, I believe, which caused the BG to stabilise. The Lipotrim version of Newcastle diet is based on the theory that by the restriction of calorie input the body goes into a state of ketosis. I had to be checked weekly at pharmacy to ensure this was happening. I believe it was the ketosis state that got the BG result, as even though I lost a lot of weight, I was still in the obese range, though (whooppee) not morbidly so, when I finished.

So with much weight to still lose, the champagne is on ice. I dread having the awful fatigue etc., that I had before Newcastle dieting, and so, thanks to the support of good folks such as yourself on here, I am now into day 2 of another Newcastle experience. This time using supermarket diet products, with which I can feast on veggies too. Happy days!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday BS after exercise on treadmill was 3.8. Lowest it has ever been. Is this actually too low?
I'm regularly in the mid-3s and feel fine. I reckon my liver kicks in at 3.4, although I haven't proven this. I think provided you aren't on any potential hypo-inducing meds, and you feel fine, it's good to occasionally require the liver to cycle it's goodies,

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm regularly in the mid-3s and feel fine. I reckon my liver kicks in at 3.4, although I haven't proven this. I think provided you aren't on any potential hypo-inducing meds, and you feel fine, it's good to occasionally require the liver to cycle it's goodies,

Thank you And Breathe - that's reassuring.

Pipp - I do not in any way mean to preach! Don't thump me! I have struggled with diets most of my adult life, and finally this one seems to work for me. I do worry that I will struggle to keep the weight off but I'll cross that bridge later and will continue with healthy eating and not return to my old ways. But, I also found out that my pituitary was not working properly and that was one of the reasons I was not losing weight despite my honest efforts. I am very sympathetic to others who have struggled in the same way. A new doctor who did a full battery of tests found that I needed medication as my body was producing far too much prolactin (levels at 800 rather then around 80-120!) which is what happens when you are pregnant - your body produces prolactin. However, medication brought it down quite quickly and now I am losing weight. He also discovered I was diabetic. So, perhaps anyone who is trying hard but not losing should ask for tests as there may be something undiagnosed going on.

Reactions: 3 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you And Breathe - that's reassuring.

Pipp - I do not in any way mean to preach! Don't thump me! I have struggled with diets most of my adult life, and finally this one seems to work for me. I do worry that I will struggle to keep the weight off but I'll cross that bridge later and will continue with healthy eating and not return to my old ways. But, I also found out that my pituitary was not working properly and that was one of the reasons I was not losing weight despite my honest efforts. I am very sympathetic to others who have struggled in the same way. A new doctor who did a full battery of tests found that I needed medication as my body was producing far too much prolactin (levels at 800 rather then around 80-120!) which is what happens when you are pregnant - your body produces prolactin. However, medication brought it down quite quickly and now I am losing weight. He also discovered I was diabetic. So, perhaps anyone who is trying hard but not losing should ask for tests as there may be something undiagnosed going on.

Hey Paulins

I wouldn't thump you. I am a passive stalker! I am not aware that you have used the dreaded phrase that annoys. Also, I am too grateful to you for encouraging me to restart Newcastle to become aggressive towards you even if you had muttered those words.

Like yourself and one or two others, on here, I have a number of unusual medical conditions that impair me and also impact on my ability to lose weight. One is apparently known as an "orphan condition" as so few people are known to have it. ( Four or five in a million, which rather disappointed me as I always considered myself to be one in a million) LOL

it just goes to show that the medical profession, and others who assume fat people are to blame for their own medical problems can be way off the mark. It is just difficult to know what to be tested for.

Keep on keeping on.

Pipp

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hey Paulins

I wouldn't thump you. I am a passive stalker! I am not aware that you have used the dreaded phrase that annoys. Also, I am too grateful to you for encouraging me to restart Newcastle to become aggressive towards you even if you had muttered those words.

Like yourself and one or two others, on here, I have a number of unusual medical conditions that impair me and also impact on my ability to lose weight. One is apparently known as an "orphan condition" as so few people are known to have it. ( Four or five in a million, which rather disappointed me as I always considered myself to be one in a million) LOL

it just goes to show that the medical profession, and others who assume fat people are to blame for their own medical problems can be way off the mark. It is just difficult to know what to be tested for.

Keep on keeping on.

Pipp

Good - I'd hate to annoy or discourage anyone. This forum has helped me beyond measure.
Apparently almost anything involved in the endocrine system can have an effect on weight if it starts misbehaving - so that's where the tests start. Mine did and I found I had two conditions - well, one syndrome and one disease. The former will never go away and I'll be on medication my whole life, but the latter allows me to try to take control and hope I can reverse it.

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's reassuring to me too. I am wondering how low to let my (T1) blood sugar go while I am in ketosis.
I read an article linked on here yesterday that said a certain Dr Cahill had taken subjects down to 1.0 mmol/L glucose with no ill effects as long as their blood was adequately suffused with ketones.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good - I'd hate to annoy or discourage anyone. This forum has helped me beyond measure.
Apparently almost anything involved in the endocrine system can have an effect on weight if it starts misbehaving - so that's where the tests start. Mine did and I found I had two conditions - well, one syndrome and one disease. The former will never go away and I'll be on medication my whole life, but the latter allows me to try to take control and hope I can reverse it.

The nicest people have syndromes!

Hope your post will encourage others to assert themselves if they are being blamed for not losing weight. If only all GPs were supportive and had the time to spend on their patients. Once more an indication that we all need to be aware of our own health needs, and learn as much as we can. Thankfully the Internet allows this.