is it too late to reverse diabetes?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I needed medication as my body was producing far too much prolactin... which is what happens when you are pregnant - your body produces prolactin.

Snap!
Food cravings?
Weight gain?
Years of weird symptoms and menstrual nonsense?
Increased insulin resistance?

Only trouble is, they never got my prolactin levels down below 500 and refused higher medication because of (justified) concerns with side effects. And now they are reducing the medication as a trial - and my old symptoms are coming back. O joy.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
Snap!
Food cravings?
Weight gain?
Years of weird symptoms and menstrual nonsense?
Increased insulin resistance?

Only trouble is, they never got my prolactin levels down below 500 and refused higher medication because of (justified) concerns with side effects. And now they are reducing the medication as a trial - and my old symptoms are coming back. O joy.

Yes, all of the above! What medication are you on for the prolactin? I am on a new one (Norprolac quinagolide) and it is good - levels really down.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, all of the above! What medication are you on for the prolactin? I am on a new one (Norprolac quinagolide) and it is good - levels really down.

I've been on carbergoline since diagnosis about 15 years ago - which is why they want to wean me off it. The side effects include heart enlargement, insulin resistance, and much increased likelihood of diabetes.

To be honest, I'm really chuffed that with the help of low carbing I managed to delay the diabetes as long as I did.

Next year, at my next clinic appointment, I will ask about norprolac quinagolide sounds interesting!

Do you have achy tendons? Back of knees and feet is where it hits me partularly. Not sure if it is me, or the softening effect that prolactin has on tendons.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
I've been on carbergoline since diagnosis about 15 years ago - which is why they want to wean me off it. The side effects include heart enlargement, insulin resistance, and much increased likelihood of diabetes.

To be honest, I'm really chuffed that with the help of low carbing I managed to delay the diabetes as long as I did.

Next year, at my next clinic appointment, I will ask about norprolac quinagolide sounds interesting!

Do you have achy tendons? Back of knees and feet is where it hits me partularly. Not sure if it is me, or the softening effect that prolactin has on tendons.

I was on cabergoline for years but it became less effective. This one I take a tablet at night as it lowers blood pressure, but apart from that I have experienced no side effects. That said, I have fainted twice, but think this was because i got up too quickly in the middle of the night, and did not give myself enough time to get the blood to the brain (or so my doctor said!). My hips ache, but I thought this was due to statins and stopped them. Still sore at night but not nearly so bad. I did not know that cabergoline caused diabetes! How very interesting.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on cabergoline for years but it became less effective. This one I take a tablet at night as it lowers blood pressure, but apart from that I have experienced no side effects. That said, I have fainted twice, but think this was because i got up too quickly in the middle of the night, and did not give myself enough time to get the blood to the brain (or so my doctor said!). My hips ache, but I thought this was due to statins and stopped them. Still sore at night but not nearly so bad. I did not know that cabergoline caused diabetes! How very interesting.

Not sure that it causes D, but the list of contraindications talks about insulin resistance and 'increased risk' of D.

I am 100% happy with taking cabergoline - it is definitely the lesser of two weevils, but they have been getting increasingly twitchy about the side effects for years. Only trouble is, every time they take me off it, I put on weight and get mastitis. Like a milk cow. Lol.

Roll on menopause!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Statins can also predispose people to diabetesT2.

They don't tell folks this as they try to get as many over 50s as possible on them.

Reactions: 6 people