Is Low Carb + Fasting a benefit ?

diabetusinfo

Hey, I was wondering if anyone here went Low carb and noticed better results, perhaps maybe combined with intermitted fasting? I understand that type1 still need insulin, but can the body turn into ketones as fuel or does diabetes complicate that process? You know going from carbs for fuel to fat for fuel.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Low carb diets for Type 1's does tend to make BG management easier. Simply speaking, the less insulin injected - the less likely you are to make errors when calculating doses; especially bolus.

Intermittent fasting, that depends on your reasoning for doing it... The majority of people will use intermittent fasting for weight loss and as a means to possibly decrease insulin resistance. For a type 1, the latter isn't really applicable - unless you have "double diabetes" (insulin resistance combined with type 1).

I don't see why running in ketosis would be any different for a T1, T1.5 or T2 - but as a T1 you may find that you're that wee bit closer to potential DKA when running on ketones. You're apparently safe enough running in dietary ketosis, but if your BG was to creep up/dramatically rise for whatever reason and you didn't notice, you may end up with a load of extra ketones as a reault of that high BG. Providing you have a correctly set basal dose then there shouldn't be a great deal of risk.

I'm no expert on the matter by the way, but I just thought I'd share my opinion:)

Also, I think @robert72 runs on a very low carb (~30g daily) and is often in ketosis?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

In therory? As a T1 on MDI. (I'm not a faster, but work can be "absorbing". :banghead:)
Fasting as a T1 with just the basal ,no matter how well adjusted it is? may cause hypoglycaemic issues? thus breaking the fast..?

Low carbing thus lowering the insulin dose. Will help with smoother lower "plateaus" on the BS.
But test regularly. This can't be stressed enough..!!

Reactions: AndBreathe

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Having to take less insulin is good. So yes, eating lower glycemic load helps a type 1 as well. I read a survey of 26,000 type 1s in America. Not a single person had an HbA1C under 7.0%. Diabetic damage starts at an HbA1C around 6.2.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having to take less insulin is good. So yes, eating lower glycemic load helps a type 1 as well. I read a survey of 26,000 type 1s in America. Not a single person had an HbA1C under 7.0%. Diabetic damage starts at an HbA1C around 6.2.

No, getting your blood sugar in range is good. If that needs 10 units of insulin or 50 units isn't as important as being in range.

Type 1 is very different from Type 2.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Less carbs, less insulin, less error. Enough said.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The OP doesn't have Type 1 (nor Type 2, as far as I know).

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
But may have a general interest?? Or concern?? Or wanting to gain some knowledge outside of "" take your meds and eat what you want".....

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Possibly. He has said he has Hashimotos and has asked about the link with Type 1.

It's not clear if the assumption is that Type 1 can be warded off by diet and that's my concern - because that would be incorrect.