Is marijuana good for diabetes?

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FJFbC2k_UQ

I know this is about the cannabis chocolate I mentioned and THC4MS but interesting anyway....

Will this thread ever end...??

I hope not !!

This was aired on 'Inside Out' on the BBC is 2006.

I will have a hunt for something more recent.

By the way the 'Cannabis Granny' mentioned was our guru when I was with my BF. She was always getting busted but always bounced back....

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
And here is a fudge recipe which I have a not so fond memory of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckzdLzKJD34

When we went to the Hemp Expo in 2004 ( I think,around that year) my BF had spent the evening making fudge which he intended to give out to the medical folk (most of whom were in wheelchairs) He put it in a box and it had the appearance of squares of Turkish delight,about 1" square and I asked him if I could have a bit. "No,it's too strong for you" was his reply.

Anyway I badgered him so much he gave in and let me have 1/2 a square. I sucked it and wandered around the stalls.
It was fascinating to see all the different ganga based wares on offer.

After 20 minutes I didn't feel a thing so I went back and asked for the other half of the square of fudge I had started.
Against his will he gave in again and I had the other half. 20 minutes later I lost the use of my legs.It reminded me of my ill fated first and never again acid trip. (Taken at age 18)

I got very claustrophic and couldn't stay in the MASSIVE Earls Court and we went out side and I just said "I want to go home". He was really good about it (seeing as we had been looking forward to this for months) and as I decided I couldn't travel on the tube (as I had acute claustrophia caused by the fudge) We bused our way to Victoria and were back home within 2 hours.

Half a square would have suited me fine. I didn't have any ailments at the time and smoked it cos I like it and liked the effect.
If I had MS,or cancer or was having chemo I would take chocolate or fudge like a shot if it was offered. A very small square had such an effect on me. I had a 'whitey' as I overdid the fudge.

I don't know if THC4MS are still going as I Googled it and nothing past 2006 was found. Same for Bud Buddies.

They have probably all been busted or gone very underground.

pokertom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Salad cream, yuk yuk yuk. microwave ovens, they remove the art of cooking. Not being in control of my actions or errors Rather a perfectionist i'm afraid I like things right
I can only imagine if this was good for diabetes or any other ailments, I'm pretty sure it would have been (on prescription) by now. But now diabetes is a common and can be a serious illness I feel pretty confident the scientists are doing all the tests on all methods and weeds /plants to help us . I hope you don't experiment with meds just because they make you feel on top of the world or you may end up under it. Myself I will let the experts do their thing .

LittleWolf

There ARE cannabis based medicines on prescription in this country and you can get a doctor's recommendation abroad

The problems are

1) people abusing the system for recreational purposes. Recreational users are largely ignorant of the mechanisms of cannabis acting on the body (like the poster who didn't take her boyfriend's advice. It is medication like any other. Treat it like that

2) the isolated cannabinoids extracted using methods like extremely strong alcohol in the licensed medications are actually less effective and more dangerous than the actual cannabis plant. They are also very expensive.

It would be simpler to use the dispensary and/or decriminalised coffee shop model for the medical/recreational users as in california or the Netherlands.

Recreational users need to get more informed, proactive and responsible. Anecdotes about how one likes getting high are not going to make anyone take you seriously.

I wish the best for other medical users. I've seen many family member going through the pain of cancer. My best friend's mother has MS (she is like an aunt to me) and I wish the therapy was legally available to her.

I wont be as active in this thread as some people aren't really reading and got to keep things more matter of fact than personal or anecdotal so the factual content and evidence doesn't get lost underneath our egos. This is serious and making true benefits (and any inherent dangers) of cannabis known to the medical world as it was pre 1937 is a serious cause. I'm barely out of my teens. I hope other users worldwide can adopt the same level of maturity.

No more 'I got high this one time' stories from me. Thanks to all who have posted their relevant links and experiences

LittleWolf

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'll get me coat....

The reason why I put my memories of being into puff was that it cheesed me off hearing folk thinking we are all a bunch of layabout scumbags who just get off our faces.

My BF and I were responsible growers who gave back to the community and sent our trim the to THC4MS to make their chocolate.

If I glorified it,my apologies. I didn't mean to.

I just wanted to explain how we are not all greedy gits out to make money.

And I would NEVER buy anything without knowing something about the strain grown.

LittleWolf

I didn't mean a personal attack on anyone. Thank you for the link you posted. We just have to remember how the impressions made in this thread can color the opinions of those already biased against cannabis, dont take us seriously and we can't use it as the site 'stoner club'

I also worry admin and other users are
growing tired of us 'irresponsible druggies' who cant stay focused on one topic using this thread just to chat amongst ourselves

I really liked the talk of your boyfriend's work to help those in need. Thanks for also highlighting that growers are not all malicious and moneyhungry

Perhaps we should have a separate thread in the general chat section for pothead banter. Id actually like to get to know you all a bit better and I'm not averse to the idea of meeting for a smoke some time. Sort of like the alcohol drinkers meet in pubs and stuff

Love you ALL

LittleWolf x

Ps Zola Honestly I am a pretty black and white person. I can be intimidatingly
formal when called for but extremely childish, playful and silly at others. I promise you I am only seemingly stuffy for the cause and I would love to smoke with you in my pikachu onesie sharing various Hello Kitty grinders and other paraphernalia :3 Perhaps you should start the new thread with a link directing those wanting medical-oriented information here?

Mr Happy

Zola, as one who has made some generalisations, this doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested in it as a pharmaceutical product. Unfortunately those that are irresponsible with it taint the rest (a bit like people bringing up drinking in this thread), these stereotypes are the ones I see in everyday life hence shape my view. I also disagree with those who suggest you have to do something to have a reasonable view on it.

If it was announced tomorrow that there was a legal tablet that could help circulation, pain and bg's then I'd be delighted. If it was 90% natural I'd be even happier. I have to say though, the stigma of the word weed attached would, perhaps stupidly, concern me...

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sorry folks. I got the impression that I was who you meant in the 'anecdotal' comment.

I have only been here a couple of weeks and I don't really know the rules yet....

The legalisation of cannabis has been a bit of a damp squib really.
Declassified to a Class C in... ( I forget)
Now it's back up to a class B ( I think)

There is something called Sativex.

http://www.gwpharm.com/prescriberinformation.aspx

Here is what is in it.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/prodphar ... 89-eng.php

"What do patients need to know about using SATIVEX®?

SATIVEX® causes irritations in the mouth in 20 - 25% patients in clinical trials. Patients may also experience symptoms of cannabinoid intoxication, including dizziness when they first take SATIVEX®. Fainting episodes have been reported as well as feeling drunk, disturbance in attention, dizziness, somnolence, disorientation, dissociation and euphoric mood. THC can cause symptoms such as changes of mood, decrease in cognitive performances and memory, decrease in ability to control drives and impulses, and alteration of the perception of reality, particularly altered time sense. Patients should start from low doses and adjust their doses gradually to get the optimal balance of a good control on their neuropathic pain and minimal intoxication.

SATIVEX® may impair ability to carry out complicated tasks. Patients should not drive or engage in activities requiring unimpaired judgment and coordination."

I don't smoke it anymore. I won't smoke it again unless I can grow my own and then it's gonna have to be through a vaporiser. I can't smoke baccy anymore as my lungs are a bit shot.

I totally understand why some folk are against it. But also understand that there are a lot of folk out there who benefit from some kind of cannabis related pain management. And the fact that Sativex is prescribable means that the big pharmas and the 'Government' agree.

I just wish other sufferers of other ailments could benefit also.

LittleWolf

Mr Happy, you have just highlighted on of my most pressing points

We are culturally conditioned to popping pills, the general public is largely unaware of the plethora of frankly dangerous side effects in the small print of that leaflet that comes with medication. We take them in the belief that if these drugs were not safe they would not be prescribed but that simply is not the case. The pharmaceutical industry is about making money foremost and they do not want you to see the statistics.

Just because it comes in pill form does not automatically make it ok REGARDLESS of the substance.

There ARE cannabis based medications available as I mentioned before. And the isolated cannabinoids are not as effective as the unadulterated plant and the products have a greater potential to harm a person. Marinol is basically made by dousing cannabis in extremely high proof alcohol.

We need to change

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/ma ... eway-drugs

Causes of Death
http://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/Causes_of_Death

Cannabis vs Drugs commonly used in place of it

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view ... urceID=145

Cannabis has been long part of our agricultural and medicinal lives. It was demonised on the grounds of racism and attempts to bolster the timber and synthetic fiber industry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp1Qp3xs ... ata_player

-We've established there is no questioning the evidence for medical applications of cannabis

-We've also established there is a social stigma attached to cannabis users (as with alcoholics) Not that an alcoholic is deemed distinct from the average user who intoxicates themselves be it getting totally trashed on the weekend or only mildly with a glass of wine accompanying a meal. Because alcohol is legal, there are not negative connotations attached to someone who appears otherwise responsible and professional if they like a drink now and then. There are also no racist connotations. Cannabis was once (and still is) believed by some to 'make white women seek relations with negros' It has the same outdated superstitions attached as jazz/rock n roll music

-The nation has a habit of popping pills for just about everything but decline to think themselves as addicts. Pharmaceuticals, alcohol and tobacco are a bigger gateway to illicit drugs than cannabis

I repeat there are cannabis based approved medications but they are less safe and less effective than the original, illicit form. Unfortunately.

Perhaps people wouldn't see it so much as drug use if it's chopped up and put into food like any other herb (many legal herbs have narcotic effects and can be potentially lethal- did you realise nutmeg can send you tripping for days and cause liver failure?)

LittleWolf

Thank you for backing that up, Zola x

Sativex has had many complaints

The pharmaceutical companies cannot make money from the raw plant, they make money from these processed medicines. It's like comparing wholefoods to processed junk, when you consider losing some of the 'good stuff' or the interaction between all of the chemical components of a foodstuff acting in the body compared to isolating some components which lead to adverse effects. Like the isolation of monosodium glutamate commonly included in food.

The reference to big brother is meant to say we believe whatever the powers that be tell us is 'ok' and healthy. I this instance, pills are Good, cannabis is Bad. But these at the same powers who once told us smoking tobacco is good for you, put cyanide and formaldehyde in said tobacco whilst making tax money from it, told us fluoride in the water was fine,

Your reply amounting to 'if it were a pill I'd take it' makes me urge you to read this article

http://docakilah.wordpress.com/2011...om-fda-approved-prescription-drugs-last-year/

atomicpants69

Obviously not if you're smoking it, in fact if you are, it's one of the worst things you can do as a diabetic, even if you're taking it in other ways , like eating etc etc, I wouldn't recommend it, it's damaging to almost every cell in the body and is really only recommended to MS sufferers and very ill people who are in considerable pain as a last ditch attempt to alleviate their suffering!!

I know about this because Im a type 1 who used to be a very big smoker of marijuana until my docs throughly explained to me how this was only going to end very badly and quicken all the bad things that diabetes does to you!!

Sorry, but you must keep it to an occasional indulgence, because it's just not something that can be enjoyed regularly with diabetes!!

Ant

Type 1 ex stoner!!

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So Littlewolf.

If there are so many deaths with prescribed medicines in the US, (and statin based medicines were on that list that Littlewolf put up) who is to say that the same thing is happening in the UK?

How do we really know that the various drugs we are prescribed are totally safe?

Or am I missing something here...?

thebassist84

@ant. Can you please be more specific when you state that weed "damages every cell in the body" by which mechanism? I'm asking because of the wealth of evidence to the contrary. There are links on this thread to scientific studies highlighting the neuro protective properties of canabanoids. Your doctor was probably generalising slightly to include tobacco. Well done for giving up though! If it was causing you problems then you were totally right and can be proud of yourself. It shows responsibility and self awareness. Things stoners are accused of lacking!

thebassist84

@zolabud. A lot of money is put in to developing these drugs, and theres massive profits involved. Any risk is going to be dumbed down. I find it shocking how easily a doctor will prescribe pills. I was offered anti depressants before counselling, I couldn't believe it. Our health is an industry!

kleef74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I,m supposed to take blood pressue pills but everytime i take just 1 i,m on the floor and cant get up ive told my doctors loads of times there general reply wad keep taking them after 6 months i stopped (couldnt handle life on the floor)ive informed my docs there reply was your kidneys have improved anyways so i asked about cannabis and reducing my blood pressure it may help reduce your pressures (which normaly arent high anyway) so instead of getting angry with the docs for giving me blood pressure i just informed that cannabis is helping me, thats fine there replyied aslong as you keep it under control and thats it none of this it damages every cell in your body **** even my dsn says more andmore diabetics are taking cannabis to HELP them. Is that the big brother assurance you want ?

Mr Happy

You have a diabetic nurse peddling the benefits of illegal substances, blimey.

Littlewolf, I think everyone is aware that medication has side effects and my reference to pills was to somewhat highlight the social stigma. I am also awre there's massive money to be made but have less of a conspiracy theory than you. On the whole the drugs are there to assist which is where hopefully cannabis could get to in the future.

I still have an issue with people promoting buying such a product off drug dealers, getting high and then suggesting their opinion is more valid...

thebassist84

Everyone's opinion is as valid as the next. There isn't a single cannabis smoker out there who likes going to drug dealers. That's where some of the radical opinions come from. Hobby growing is fast becoming the norm anyway.