Is marijuana good for diabetes?

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Anna,

That is very diplomatic, yet I feel all the pros and cons have been exhausted and protagonists and antagonists seem to have exhausted any NEW info. This was a cracking thread, for those who agree and disagree, but the topic has become heavily diluted with petty arguments and petty disagreements.

Shame really, no one is better than anyone else and we all have our own judgement calls to make let alone judging others.

New thread anyone ;)

Mart.

samick

In response to this question, I have type 1 Labile Diabetes which is uncontrollable even with insulin. Forget all the fancy diets and carb counting rot, it doesn't work for me. Common sense does however and I consider myself an ongoing experiment to find which works for me. So in having said that, I have tried using both synthetic and herbal marijuana and the results are the same. They lower you BSL rather quickly shortly after using them. In the case of the synthetic type, a small amount was needed and gave me a perfect overnight reading everytime. The only thing I had to watch was a hypo may happen but rarely did. Using natural Marijuanan has the same effect. It lowers BSL within the hour and I often use it for this purpose only. There is no need to use staggering amounts and the amount I use does not give you the great highs that its intended for. Just to lower my BSL. It has been recently studied and the results can be found in scientific daily publications confirming this. For someone who has no control this drug is a godsend.

Mr Happy

GraceK said:
Just imagine if only those who had murdered judged other murderers? The streets would be full of psychopaths wandering free as birds to do as they choose. :roll:

Apologies, quoted this time. I think you may have missed the sarcasm!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mr Happy

The problem I have is people suggesting that we must 'walk in anothers shoes' which is where the 'be a murderer to judge a murder' comment came from.

I stated a dozen pages back that it's illegal thus pretty much a moot point. In my experience there are a lot of pot smokers not contributing to society, that's my view and I stick to it. Whether there should be a 'purer' form of marijuana in a tablet from, put through trials to relieve pain and whatever other good effects it can have is a decent debate. People forcing their opinion on others is not!

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
Something I forgot to mention about my 5 years with my cannabis growing boyfriend was that when he harvested I was chief 'trimmer'.
The colas when grown have little leaves growing from the sides and the leaves which are trimmed are high in THC so all the trim went into a smelly proof bag and it was posted to a charity called THC4MS. This was a few years ago so I don't even know if they are still even around but a lot of growers in the country donated their trim and somehow it was processed and made into chocolate.

This chocolate was sent out to folk with MS. You needed to supply evidence which I presume came from your GP. The chocolate was only available to folk with MS. It wasn't available for cancer sufferers or chemo sufferers or Leukemia sufferers.... Just MS.

Some folk choose not to smoke it.... Or like me can't as I have lung disease. A square of chocolate every night at least meant that they could sleep that little bit better.

The website we used to frequent was called UK420. It is a brilliant site which helps folk start grow rooms. Which as I said before I would do if I was in a position to.

The site also helps folk who are ill.

The motto is 'Ditch the Dealer !!'

Hear hear.....

alex_dgarcia

Dislikes
Unkind people, bad odor, diabetes mellitus (hehe), injecting insulin, douche bags
I know, right? I hope it will still be going in 4 years. With new research and development, I think it will be very helpful. And more people. More opinions. More argument and insight. :silent:

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does it work?: yes.
Does it have social stigma issues? :yes.
Tah-dah.

fahmad143

I have had diabetes for 22 years now, smoked weed for three years no effect so far.
I was in hospital with erractic sugars and refused to eat so another diabetic recommended it for me and it got me eating as it gives you hunger feelings. If you want to put on weight it is good but if the other way round then not so good. It can also make you feel as though you are havung a hypo so make sure you test your sugars and when you eat make sure you inject enough.
Hope that helps.

LittleWolf

If you feel like you are having a hypo (shaky, nervous, heart racing etc) you are likely having a panic attack/smoking the wrong plant/smoking too much. Cannabis sativa produces these effects (which is why I avoid it). Indica should make you feel calm, relaxed and relieve nausea as well as pain.

For longer acting effects on the body eating it (as aforementioned by several others) is a better, healthier option. I am experiencing what I think could be neuropathy and horrible nausea from my Endometriosis pills but the weed relieves this long enough for me to lie down and sleep. Conversely I couldn't practically smoke 24/7 for relief... A few hours of space cake effects has to suffice.

The munchies seems to be an issue for most. As an ex anorexic I need encouragement to eat as with those worried about eating constantly because of their levels. If you take insulin I guess just adjust it with eating sensibly. Being high is no excuse for eating ****. Have a lot of salad on hand :D

kleef74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
After reading a few pages i see that every negative response to cannabis theres a posative 1 so 'ere is mine.
I 1st started smoking resin for the high and nothing else i then found resin was hard to get so changed to weed again just for the high, i went to see my consultant with my attitude un packed she asked do i still smoke 10 cigs aday my reply no i smoke cannabis sometimes i vapourise her reply isit for your neuropathy i smiled and told her no for my retinopathy, so when i got home did the google thing and you can judge me if you like i will still get high and hopefully live that little longer with a little help from my friends

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
MCMLXXIII - thank you. I have commented to the happy clappers, I'd lose my job and family and any self respect by taking this urine-stinking banned-substance and possibly cause damage to the train-travelling public by smoking weed. Weed to me means a weakling who can't confront themselves or their issues. I have the odd drink and smoke a bit, but it is legal if I stick to the RDA. I'm not slagging anyone off, but certain advocates don't respect what impact a SINGLE joint or trace of marijuana would have on my entire life, were I to be drug-screened at work. Sure chronic sufferers of MS and other disease may get respite and I don't dispute that, but the majority have no lifestyle commitments like work or obligations to commuters. If you enjoy chucking your well-earned (or free, thanks to taxpayers, I'm not descriminative) money at criminals and drug-dealers, good for you. I stand to lose too much to get stoned and act like a half-head. Cue how positive it is and gnashing of teeth and stoners telling me I should still take it. Not for me, thanks. If you're in a position to want and be able to line peoples pockets while vegetating, that's your call. I cannot and will never allow myself to succumb to apathy. I care about my family, including my dog, more than me being high and not being able to make informed decisions that involve many of you and your loved ones. Please can ANYONE understand this?

Yours in despair,

Mart.

I loce all you out there but please understand others point of view amd this can go from being a great forum to an excellent one. I respect EVERY one of you, sometimes I disagree with a poster and I check new posts and I am heartened to see the same person REALLY going the extra mile and sharing personal information to a comparatitive stranger. You're all an real asset to this forum. Goody-two shoes, live by the book diabetics are often redundant. We are all (or nearly all) imperfect through our lives with diabetes. I try hard, not my absolute best, as I like to feel normal now and then and balance things out through BG intake. I fell asleep on the bus last saturday. Was on the bus and planning to get a meal in town (25 mins away) and felt tired. The result. Bus driver woke me up telling me I was at the terminus in Wolves City Centre. (Ironic, I said town and then city. We became a city in 2000, with inverness and brighton, thanks maam) I got up feeling drowsy and my brand new android tablet I received an hour before fell out my pocket. Luckily, the driver handed it in and I got it back on wednesday. I'm far from perfect and have the very very occasional lapse. We should all respect each other and we'll all thrive, whether we choose to take the advice or not, there's no experience like real life. Keep on keeping on!

LittleWolf

Mart. I like you but you being at risk of losing your job because of cannabis' /legality/ has nothing to do with how beneficial or detrimental it is to health.

We know /you/ (and others in jobs with random drug testing) could get fired for ingesting it. The problem is that should not be the case unless you were actively intoxicated on the job, the same way being drunk on the job or hungover would not be safe or acceptable.

I do take personal offensive and find it nonsensical that you regard pot usage as a weakness whilst you are a drinker. If it were legal the money would be going to the government (like the billions made off of cigarette smokers) not dealers, or people would grow their own to their own requirements.

Why is alcohol though to do no wrong simply because it is legal? (at the present. Prohibition ended on alcohol despite it being far more dangerous and having far less, if any health benefits)

God I WISH more young people would have a quiet joint rather than seeing scenes of extreme violence, alcohol fuelled crime and injury everywhere around me and across the globe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPFuPbm8Akk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-i4W9lgnGU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If you wish to argue some people can have a pint or glass of wine every day without being a hooligan, then so can a cannabis user. Especially an informed one- however prohibition gets in the way of people making informed choices.

Again it's not heroin or speed, but those are ok because they come in pills from the pharmacy or given to you in hospital. It's ludicrous.

But for the sake of Mart and others in professions where people's lives are at risk or operate machinery 1) be aware of your workplace's drug policy 2) don't come into work intoxicated be it alcohol, weed, too many codeine laced pills or antihistamines.

That's a topic for another thread. The abuse of pharmaceuticals for recreational purposes and the people who don't even know they are addicts, or think it 'doesn't count' because the pills are legal and easily available.

They are extremely dangerous. Can I remind you the hospital repeatedly gave me drugs for pain relief that caused INTERNAL BLEEDING. Not that I don't deal with trapped bleeding in the pelvic cavity causing extremely painful scarring and muscle spasms anyway...

Misleading title. The oil is being applied topically to treat this man's legs affected by nerve damage, ulceration etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWrqwZ4G_8Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
I think that's a very good argument, LittleWolf. And so calmly expressed.

I'd like to say you've hit the nail on the head. But that feels too violent!

I cannot equal your talent.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
LW, I LOVE your tenacity. But there's a futility here. I agree to an enormous extent with what you say, but to me your argument is not viable. If I have ANY trace of hash in my system AT ALL, it's game over. Even if I had a puff and am perfectly fine I get sacked. It's a no-brainer. I have a brain so it's a no-jointer. I love your spirit, I enjoy the odd glass, I have a wife and two teenage girls and because of that I'm a responsible drinker. I'm not an alcohooligan. I don't care for the implications that I'm abusive because I sometimes drink. Or smoke.

Lots of love

Mart.