Is Milk Good or Bad For diabetes...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends how much and which kind.
I tend to go for cream over milk and lactofree milk (fewer carbs) over ordinary.
Always full fat though.

Reactions: Aditya Singh

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am Very Confused after Reading so many articles that milk is harmful for diabetes..please everyone give your opinion..
Milk contains milk sugar (lactose) but also contains \vitamin D, the lack of which is associated with diabetes prevalence in Northrn coutnries.
However if you are lactose intolerant as 70% of humans are then you might not do to well on milk!
So do have it if your gut tolerates it but don't add chocolate icecream to it and guzzle in vast quantiities. Live yoghurt and cheeese are great soucnes of low carb dairy...

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
People with T2 who are looking to or are controlling their condition well via diet like to avoid milk due to the sugar content. I'd suggest try and test.

Miriam12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a type 1 I go for lactose free milk - less carbs in it and therefore less of an effect on my bloods x

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I still have milk, but only full fat and less than I used to. All included in my daily carb count.

I am not lactose intolerant and love milk products, but realised I was having at least 35g of carbs a day in milk.
Apart from switching from skimmed to full fat, I replaced some of the milk in coffees with coconut milk or cream to reduce carbs. So my latte is now just a third milk, a little cream/coconut milk plus extra water - and I drink fewer mugs a day.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I drink buttermilk sometimes but not in tea or coffee doesn't taste right for that.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As I do not need milk I do not drink it.
I never have understood how people can gulp down whole glasses of it and think about drinking more.
I do use cream, but not great amounts of it, but that is to avoid using a sweetener in my coffee and to make the lowest carb berries palatable.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink a pint of full fat organic milk a day. Its cheap protein, lots of goodness. Just like eggs. Providing I count the carbs in my daily intake, and my blood glucose levels are ok, I will keep drinking it. It is good for so many things nutritionally and with vitamin D and calcium.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was never very keen on milk so to avoid some carbs I swapped my semi skimmed milk for full fat double cream, almond milk/drink or occasionally lactose free milk.

But as mentioned milk has some nutritional benefits, so look at the various options available, try and test,