Is SBMI better than BMI?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I keep getting instructions to add the PDF converter thing to Chrome. Is this OK to do? I don't like extensions that change things.

Sorry, I can’t help with that, I used Safari on my iPad to do my score

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Since my type 2 diagnosis I have lost a significant amount of weight bringing my BMI down from 44 to 28.
28 is still classed as overweight on the standard BMI calculator, however my weight loss has stalled and I feel comfortable at my current weight. My diabetes nurse and GP seem happy with my current weight too, at least they aren’t nagging me to lose weight anymore!
Doing a bit of research I came across this SBMI, which takes age and gender into the equation which seems a lot more scientific and the result is given as a level of risk rather than just underweight, healthy, overweight or obese.
https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/why-sbmic.html
I fall into the green low risk area when I put my stats into this calculator, which of course I’m pleased about. However am I just kidding myself that I should try harder to lose the last bit to get into the infamous 18 - 25 standard BMI. What does everyone think about this SMBI versus the older BMI?
I got as 'good' score of 34/70, so I was obviously impressed.
However, reading the various articles on the site shows it is typical high carb, low fat US propaganda, so I am now not impressed at all. Although I do like the fact that it makes an allowance for gender and age.

Reactions: Rachox

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I keep getting instructions to add the PDF converter thing to Chrome. Is this OK to do? I don't like extensions that change things.

If in doubt, don't!

The extensions that I add are adblockers, script blockers and the like.

Sites often prompt you to add stuff that they get revenue from.

Probably worth searching on the name of the extension and seeing if there are any reports of adverse outcomes.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
As often stated, BMI is an average view over the whole population.
It is not an absolute definitive guide, but is a reasonable pointer.
There will always be outliers, including lean endurance athletes who seem under weight and power athletes who seem over weight.
I am not a fan of the expression "exception which proves the rule", but the outliers tend to reinforce the general guidance.
It used to be "Well, I weigh the same as Geoff Capes and he isn't over weight." whilst disregarding the general ratio of muscle to fat and overall level of fitness. :)

With regard to some of the reported advice over weight loss, I was advised by Prof. Taylor that BMI is not a good guide, and that one target for T2s should be to have the same weight and waist measurement as you had in your late teens and early twenties. This doesn't guarantee anything but gives your pancreas a good chance to fight back.

Hasn't worked for me but then I was probably about 10 years too late.

Probably wouldn't work for the current generation of teen/twenties.
Depending on your sources (Express or Telegraph) one third or one quarter of teenagers are over weight or obese.
So presumably BMI becomes a more reliable target again.

@Rachox your current weight seems to give you an excellent metabolic result!
However I suspect that unless you are a weight lifter and all muscle that you could benefit in future proofing your body by losing more weight.
As suggested a test for IR might be instructive.
If you pancreas is over producing insulin that may not be good in the long run.

It doesn't really apply to me but my feeling is that if weight loss reversed diabetes symptoms then you have demonstrated a vulnerability due to excess weight.
You need to work out if you have reduced the vulnerability enough for your BG control to work again (but still have metabolic syndrome like many of the undiagnosed) or if you have completely eliminated all factors including over production of insulin and consequent insulin resistance.

Either way, well done you. :)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Rachox if you are happy and comfortable then why push it further? You look great and your numbers speak for themselves.