IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
raymond123 said:
my glucose readings now average 15. my gp told me to exercise to burn up sugar, unforunatly he had forgotten about my sciatica. which is worse? HELP!

We can't do enough exercise to burn up sugar - my BG increases with exercise, as the body generates blood sugar to meet the exercise demands. BUT if you BG is poorly controlled - as yours is - the result may be a hypo.

You need to establish good control by diet & medication, & take enough moderate exercise to maintain fitness, breathing etc. A reduced carb diet will indicate how far you can go with diet.

I have reversed symptoms by diet - tiredness, muscle pains & now retinopathy have all been reversed, & HbA1c lowered, by low carb diet together with 3 metf daily.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We can't do enough exercise to burn up sugar - my BG increases with exercise, as the body generates blood sugar to meet the exercise demands. BUT if you BG is poorly controlled - as yours is - the result may be a hypo.

Well yes we can, and what's also important is that it reduces insulin resistance. Interestingly even the writers of the Atkins diabetes book say 'Exercise is mandatory' but the type of exercise matters.
I'm sorry that your levels go up . I think one of the reasons is the type of exercise you do. In in a game of tennis you have shorts bouts of intensity and you are inevitably competitive. This will increase the secretion of hormones such as adrenalin. These in turn 'tell' the liver to release more glycogen (glucose)... so that you can chase that wooly mamoth. Unfortunately if you then stop the glucose level remains higher. If you played very long matches like the pros then quite quickly you would use up your glycogen reserves (and glucose levels would fall), thats why they keep drinking their electroyte/energy drinks.
Sustained anaerobic exercise is much better for immediately lowering levels, brisk walking is excellent.

raymond123 wrote:
my glucose readings now average 15. my gp told me to exercise to burn up sugar, unforunatly he had forgotten about my sciatica. which is worse? HELP!

It must be diffcult when you have a problem like sciatica, there is lots of info on the net though about exercising with this problem

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
I am very sorry that so many people, like Sparkles, beat themselves up over being fat, blaming themselves for their weakness. It is easy to blame the patient for their own condition, doctors do it all the time. Do not believe it. Slim people want to believe that their body size reflects some inner strength or virtue. That is very nice for them, but it is a self deception. Even though supported an by ignorant media.

We have a disorder - it is a shame, but we have to live with it. We cant eat or drink the things other people eat and drink. Medical knowledge is getting better all the time and we know that we do not have to starve, only change our diets and lifestyles for our own sakes. Fairness does not come into it, only what works.
Syndrome X is basically insulin resistance, probably causing one or all of, high cholesterol. high triglycerides, high blood pressure, high levels of insulin, consistant weight gain. It is extremely common, and may be caused by a combination of genetic factors and modern industrial food production with high levels of starches. It is not caused by moral weakness.