Is the HbA1C a fasting blood test?

ian1968

I've got a slip to go for my first HbA1C blood test since being diagnosed, but I was given it a few weeks ago ahead of when the test needed to be done, and I've forgotten whether I need to fast before the test or not.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
When I have it done it's a simple fingerprick test non-fasting and I get the results in 10 minutes as they have the machine on the spot. If you are having other tests done at the same time it will be fasting. It would be best anyway to check which they want you to do.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
ian1968 said:
I've got a slip to go for my first HbA1C blood test since being diagnosed, but I was given it a few weeks ago ahead of when the test needed to be done, and I've forgotten whether I need to fast before the test or not.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Hi Ian,
HbA1c is non fasting :)

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Ian, it should say on your form whether it is fasting or not. If it is only HbA1c then it isn't a fasting test.

If they have ticked any lipids/cholesterol tests then you would need to do that as a fasting test. For me that just means water or black tea/coffee in the morning and then get you bloods done and if you really want have something to eat after them.

Best

Dillinger

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Dillinger said:
If they have ticked any lipids/cholesterol tests then you would need to do that as a fasting test. For me that just means water or black tea/coffee in the morning and then get you bloods done and if you really want have something to eat after them.

Since when did "fasting" mean "drink as much tea and coffee as you fancy". Are you allowed to drink beer too?

I'm feeling I've missed a trick here. No wonder my cholesterol is too bleedin' low.

ian1968

Thanks everyone!

It has Lipid and Glucose ticked under Clotted (Yellow), so I guess it's a fasting one. WIll either of those cover cholesterol?

ian1968

I'm actually really excited to get it done. I've lost almost two stone since being diagnosed, and have got my BG down from 10 to 4s and 5s (and the odd 6, gah!), so I have high hopes. But I'm worried that my cholesterol may still be too high. In fact, I'm almost expecting that to be the result...still, tiny steps...

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
ian1968 wrote
It has Lipid and Glucose ticked under Clotted (Yellow), so I guess it's a fasting one. WIll either of those cover cholesterol?

that'll be the 'lipid.' :D

Geoff

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
ian1968 said:

Full lipid breakdown and Hba1c, that's good as it pays to keep an eye on both :)