Is the world heading for an insulin shortage?

SimonCrox

Interesting article.

The main western producers use yeast or e. coli to make the insulin, so I guess that they can increase production.

India and China have many companies making similar products, although one is not always sure of the quality, hence not available in EU, but is being made.

There was going to be a problem with production of animal insulins cos we are eating less meat then in the past, so less pancreases in the slaghterhouse meant fewer for insulin manufacture. A minor reason behind the switch to genetically engineered insulin.

The real rpoblem for the UK will be Brexit. The pound has dropped 20% against the euro and dollar and probably against the Danish Kroner so the insulin will be more expensive. (although still cheaper than in the USA); long delays at cross channel ports in cool lorries will add a bit to the cost, but the insulin has a very long shelf life.

The real problem is affordability in poor countries; Novo (and probably the other companies) do sell their insulin to poor countries at a very low price, but these coutnries eg Nigeria, will often add a lot of tax to the cost and make it unaffordable.

The Insulin dependent Diabetes Trust collect intact insulin to send to third world, so a really valuable resource; one year though, they were sending to New Orleans after the hurricane - a sad indictment of USA healthcare.

best wishes

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The link is about type 2 diabetes and the world wide epidemic, which as we know is often controlled with tablets, diet and exercise or sometimes, with Insulin. I didn't find it a good link.

Reactions: SimonCrox

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The link is about type 2 diabetes and the world wide epidemic, which as we know is often controlled with tablets, diet and exercise or sometimes, with Insulin. I didn't find it a good link.
It covered both T1D and T2D, and does (possibly falsely) assume that T2D is always progressing toward insulin use. That is how it has always been, and is currently substantiated by NICE, so the paths meet (at least in the eyes of the NHS) The only way to take T2D out of the picture would be to force us all to have bariatric surgery which currently the ONLY way the NHS acknowledges as a cure.

Even though I am not on insulin myself, I have indeed been threatened with it, been referred to a consultant for it, and may yet need it in the future. So I disagree that it is a T2 only problem - obviously! The problem is that we outnumber T1D with sadly increasing numbers too, so it will affect more of us if it happens. I think Insulin dependancy increases mortality risks for both of us regardless of how we started our journey.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It covered both T1D and T2D, and does (possibly falsely) assume that T2D is always progressing toward insulin use. That is how it has always been, and is currently substantiated by NICE, so the paths meet (at least in the eyes of the NHS) The only way to take T2D out of the picture would be to force us all to have bariatric surgery which currently the ONLY way the NHS acknowledges as a cure.

Even though I am not on insulin myself, I have indeed been threatened with it, been referred to a consultant for it, and may yet need it in the future. So I disagree that it is a T2 only problem - obviously! The problem is that we outnumber T1D with sadly increasing numbers too, so it will affect more of us if it happens. I think Insulin dependancy increases mortality risks for both of us regardless of how we started our journey.

Hi , I did not say said type 2 is the only problem, the thread is predominately about type 2 and I sincerely hope you never have to administer Insulin.

Reactions: Oldvatr

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As I said on the other thread on this subject, one third of T2s inject insulin. That is one heck of a lot of people - and far more than there are T1s in this world.

Reactions: dbr10 and SimonCrox

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
given the medical advice on diet, I think it highly likely that many T2's will progress to insulin.

for some T2's they take insulin temporarily. For other, if their pancreas has packed up then they will die without their insulin, just like type 1's.

for other type 2's their pancreas works, but not well enough to stop high blood sugars and the subsequent damage.

I think the definition between the two types at that stage is simply the cause of pancreatic failure. Type 1 is auto immune only, type 2 can be a variety of causes.

correct me if I have misunderstood.