is there an insulin limit ???

capsicum

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
10 units of Afrezza works like about 3 units of apidra/novorapid.

One "unit" for each insulin analog are actually completely different quantities by weight. Delivery method also makes a huge difference.

We've posted on our blog that Afrezza's labelling of "4u" and "8u" is very confusing. In terms of total insulin exposure in the blood (AUC) , Afrezza 8u is about the same as 4u. Afrezza 8u is less than 2u.

We made this video trying to explain what this means in practice:

http://afrezzadownunder.com/2015/09/afrezza-units-insulincarb-ratios/

However, labelling Afrezza as 1u and 2u would be even more confusing. We think that it should be labelled something completely different, like S, M and L. No prior experience with counting units is helpful when learning Afrezza, so why label it that way?

T1 diabetics require so much more insulin than non-diabetics because the injected insulin lowers blood glucose by telling muscle cells to take more glucose in than they need for immediate energy requirements.

Non-diabetics control glucose primarily with insulin from the pancreas secreted towards the liver, which suspends its glucose output. Very little insulin reaches the muscles in nondiabetics. In fact, insulin is not required for normal muscle operation. Nor is insulin required for normal glucose control if glucagon receptors are blocked (thus suppressing the liver's glucose output)

M

mrspuddleduck

HIGHLY individual. I am T1 and produce NO insulin and I take 1 unit Novolog with meals and 2-3 Lantus at night with an A1C of 5.1 . We need to be very careful advising 'averages'. It depends on way too many things and as said, the OP is 14! We need to be very careful about 'averages'. I 'd be dead if I injected those 'averages' and I am 51

I agree @Kristen251 I'm finding this very rather misleading and confusing. I have no insulin production at all and take dosages (both basal & bolus) in single figures
More importantly to me is the OP is a 14 year old new member asking for advice. Im not sure we have met her needs....... :(

Reactions: 2 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Inour the best way to explain it is this:
1.) There isn't an insulin limit. You should always match your insulin to whatever you're eating. Some meals require more insulin than others just like some people need more insulin than others.

2.) There is a "food limit." Again, each person is different, but it's probably not a good idea to eat an entire pizza at once, or to eat 3 hamburgers in one sitting. Not only would those require a lot of insulin, but they're not the healthiest choices.

Moderator edit to remove unnecessary remark about other contributors to the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As others have said, there isn't an insulin limit, no..........

you need what you need...........unless you are a giant, you basal needs will be within a normal range even including those with a bit of resistance......

the trick I suppose is in your meals......the more carbs you have, the more insulin you need, the larger the insulin dose, the less reliable and efficient it becomes.......especially on injections....as this already isnt very effective...

so there is no limit, but there will be a point where larger doses just wont be able to do the job your wanting it to do......

;)