Type 2 Is there any solid research for plant based diet reversing T2?

mouseee

Anyone who has read any of my posts knows LC has worked for me and I'm more than happy with sticking with it. However, I'm intrigued as to if there is a similar level of research into plant based whole food diet having similar effects on bs and 'remission'.

As the forum community has many people who have done lots of research into all aspects of helping reduce blood sugar and insulin resistance, I thought I'd tap into it.

I know this could be opening a can of worms, so please make sure all replies are respectful to other posters! I know how heated this debate can get but I am genuinely interested.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are several previous threads on this if you use the search box you can find them.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Long story short.. for most who try it no.
We have recently had a lot of newly diagnosed vegan and vegetarian members join up here...that would imply it’s not effective.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Being a vegan or vegetarian is not going to guarantee you don't get diabetes, it just has been found to lower your risk. Lowering your risk means you can still get it. Just like the trim athletic person still manages to get type 2 sometimes, it's just not as likely.

Seeing vegetarians and vegans on this site doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkorchid

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Being a vegan or vegetarian is not going to guarantee you don't get diabetes, it just has been found to lower your risk. Lowering your risk means you can still get it. Just like the trim athletic person still manages to get type 2 sometimes, it's just not as likely.
Except that weight gain is not the trigger, a higher carb diet than ones body can cope with is the trigger. Weight gain is a symptom, not a cause. For some people, they don't easily gain weight so bypass the weigh gain symptom, and go straight to type 2 diabetes, or pre-diabetes. Being athletic won't help if the carb intake is too high for some people.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not a vegan or vegetarian but my diet is more vegetable based than meat I only like chicken but do eat fish, eggs and dairy and I do eat some vegan products now they have become available they make a nice change from chicken sometimes and I enjoy them. I have no idea if a plant based diet will put diabetes in remission or improve BS levels but I do not see why it should not happen but that is a question for the vegans and vegetarians on this forum

Reactions: lucylocket61
M

Member496333

I think a diet low in processed junk and refined carbohydrate is most likely to assist in reversal of type 2. Kale, or ribeye? Pick your poison, but the removal of the processed rubbish will have the greatest impact. I do consider grains to be processed rubbish, though, and that alone is a contentious topic :cool: