Is there ever a time that cravings completely disappear

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Now mine are so much better than they used to be. I eat so much less good in general since going Uber low carb.

But in the last few days my cravings are back.
Yesterday took all my strength not to buy a cake when I bought a tea from pret. And I mean huge strength. My brain was telling me that just one won’t hurt. I didn’t.
But then last night I wasn’t hungry but I just wanted to eat. I ended up with one of my safe hot chocolates. But this needing to eat and eat cakes is back. And I don’t like it.
Will there ever be a time when I never ever experience cravings again? Or will they always raise their ugly heads once in a while as if to test you?

M

Member496333

From time-to-time I was still experiencing minor cravings for dark chocolate and nuts before I went full-carnivore. Nothing that would present a real problem, but the temptation was always potentially there. Hasn't entered my head once since quitting all non-animal produce. Completely temptation-free for several months.

Reactions: woollygal

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm interested in this as well. My carb cravings have reduced but haven't gone away completely. It doesn't help that at work we have lollies and biscuits or the day I got home and my sons were having home made sweet potatoes chips nicely caramalized.

I would love to hear from people that were really carb addicts whose cravings have gone.

It is one thing keeping me on the straight and narrow that the cravings have reduced. I'm frightened to have anything that I really want in case the. cravings increase again.

M

Member496333

I think maybe another factor for those that struggle is to not replace carbohydrate foods with alternatives that attempt to emulate them.

Reactions: ianf0ster

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I think maybe another factor for those that struggle is to not replace carbohydrate foods with alternatives that attempt to emulate them.

I don’t think I do.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a huge craving for the sweet carby stuff. I no longer have any cravings and managed to turn the craving for the sweet and carby stuff to utter disgust with some mind games. I have posted this on another thread so apologies if you have already read it.

When I started getting problems with diabetic retinopathy and my right foot started to go numb l knew I had to take urgent action.

The hardest time was queuing in a cafe for my coffee next to all my favourite cakes. I would look at a cake and mull over the following question "what would I prefer - keep my eyes and feet or eat the the cake '. I would imagine in graphic detail what it was like to lose my sight and have my foot amputated (not hard to do after watching the Panorama programme). A bit macabre but it did work. The eyes and feet always won.

After a while just looking at something sweet made me feel a bit yuk and there was absolutely no way I could eat it. Actually - even the thought of eating it feels more disgusting than eating live insects. I remember, years and years ago, that the designer Mary Quant did something similar and that's what gave me the idea to do it.

I can see how going completely carnivore like @Jim Lahey would work really well because by still eating my nuts, seeds and high there is a little bit of carb craving still going on and there is always the temptation to have a little bit more.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That depends a lot on the individual. I can sit in a doughnut outlet with my family and say no every time. It depends on ones capacity to exercise restraint.

M

Member496333

That depends a lot on the individual. I can sit in a doughnut outlet with my family and say no every time. It depends on ones capacity to exercise restraint.

Of course. Like I said - for those that struggle. Personally I prefer not having to exercise any restraint, but that is just me.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would find it much more difficult and unpleasant keeping to a carnivore diet rather than exercising restraint and not eating too many carbs.

Reactions: KK123

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't smoked a cigarette since 01 June 2007 (I like starting or ending things on specific days) but still get an urge sometimes when catching a whiff.. freshly baked bread still exercises a slight pull too so I just have to say "thats' poison" in my head to myself to avoid it. It's been 4 years since I ate any bread.
However it certainly does get easier over time. I'd also agree with @Jim Lahey that "replacements" are a slippery slope so I now avoid anything with a slightly bread like texture (even if keto). I appear to have no "off" switch with such things.

Reactions: JenniferW
M

Member496333

I haven't smoked a cigarette since 01 June 2007 (I like starting or ending things on specific days) but still get an urge sometimes when catching a whiff.. freshly baked bread still exercises a slight pull too so I just have to say "thats' poison" in my head to myself to avoid it. It's been 4 years since I ate any bread.
However it certainly does get easier over time. I'd also agree with @Jim Lahey that "replacements" are a slippery slope so I now avoid anything with a slightly bread like texture (even if keto). I appear to have no "off" switch with such things.

I quit smoking 21 years ago and still enjoy the smell of cigarette smoke whenever I can catch a whiff :hilarious:

Reactions: bulkbiker

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Of course. Like I said - for those that struggle. Personally I prefer not having to exercise any restraint, but that is just me.

It is always better if you don't have to exercise will-power!
Why is this? - Because will-power isn't unlimited even in those who seem to have it in truck loads. The more you need to use, the less remains at least until it can be replenished (usually overnight).

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you share a house with non-diabetics who eat bread, cakes, pasta, potatoes etc. then willpower is really the only choice. Under these circumstances it helps if you can maintain a reasonable HbA1c with a moderately low carb diet and use substitutes. If I am making sandwiches for the rest of the family then having a low carb roll for myself makes it easier not to have the high carb version. If the family are having shepherd's pie then being able to have swede mash on mine helps avoid temptation. I would however draw the line at using sweeteners. Preserving a taste for sweet things makes them very difficult to resist and in this case "just say no" is the best route.

Reactions: DeeAitch and HSSS
M

Member496333

It is always better if you don't have to exercise will-power!
Why is this? - Because will-power isn't unlimited even in those who seem to have it in truck loads. The more you need to use, the less remains at least until it can be replenished (usually overnight).

Yep. Speaking only for myself, I avoid the need for willpower by completely avoiding any foods that would otherwise require it in order to moderate. I can easily spend time surrounded by confectionary and carbohydrates while feeling zero temptation. My brain now no longer sees any of it as food. No willpower required. Completely automated. This would not be the case (for me) if I were exercising moderation :D

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now mine are so much better than they used to be. I eat so much less good in general since going Uber low carb.

But in the last few days my cravings are back.
Yesterday took all my strength not to buy a cake when I bought a tea from pret. And I mean huge strength. My brain was telling me that just one won’t hurt. I didn’t.
But then last night I wasn’t hungry but I just wanted to eat. I ended up with one of my safe hot chocolates. But this needing to eat and eat cakes is back. And I don’t like it.
Will there ever be a time when I never ever experience cravings again? Or will they always raise their ugly heads once in a while as if to test you?

Not sure of your age woolygal, but time of the month can make you crave things. It’s the only time I notice it. You can try smelling whatever it is you crave (not inPret obviously!) but if you are at home or a family member is eating something you fancy. My kids are used to letting me smell things now.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having already had a taste of the consequences (now gone), it's fear and not will power, that keeps me on the straight and narrow.

Reactions: Pura Vida

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Every time you resist temptation it is another brick in the metaphysical wall of willpower that keeps the bad things out of your stomach and your life.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@woollygal - I think some of those responses . In the "old world", going for a coffee might mean having a cake or biccie.

For me, I'm fortunate not to have ever suffered too many cravings, but sometimes I just find myself thinking "Ohhhh, I fancy that, but why on earth would I want it?"

I had one of those moments yesterday, looking at a batch of magnificent (even if I say so myself), skyscraper cheese scones, made for a charity bake stall for MacMillan. Not only would I usually prefer the cheese without the carb wrap-around, but the gluten would have caused me significant grief, taking me at least a couple of weeks to get over.

Needless to say my response to myself was to tell myself to get over myself.

I'm not suggesting my response was relevant to you, but it's what I did at the time.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose like anything else, we are all different and some have better levels of self control than others. For those that need the extra margin of safety then it is obviously the way to go. For those that don’t need that extra safety margin then why apply it.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Anybody seen this test before?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX_oy9614HQ

The marshmallow test is one of the most famous pieces of social-science research: Put a marshmallow in front of a child, tell her that she can have a second one if she can go 15 minutes without eating the first one, and then leave the room. Whether she’s patient enough to double her payout is supposedly indicative of a willpower that will pay dividends down the line, at school and eventually at work. Passing the test is, to many, a promising signal of future success.”