Is this an unbiassed report?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
The new diet is not in place yet, so why not? It is his wife who is the vegan, and his chain of hotels have only recently gone meat free (and only for a few days because all the guests checked out, and meat is back on the menu, Money talked back to him this time, I guess)
What do you mean "not in place yet"? It should be for the guy who is bankrolling the the EAT Foundation, which was started in 2013 with the main objective to persuade (or force) people to eat drastically less meat. So to answer "why not": because, he should be following the diet advice that his foundation wants everyone to follow or else he is a world class hypocrite.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Actually he will be sleeping outside according to this POV article
https://theconversation.com/why-we-shouldnt-all-be-vegan-109308

Edit to add: this webzine is actually pro vegan so this commentary piece is out of character?

Words just jump out don't they? Unilever, the bastion of altruism. Such hypocrisy by the Stordalen's and the not surprising greed of Big Food getting in on the act early doors.

As per your edit, not surprising that there are some vegans who would really believe that choice is paramount.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What do you mean "not in place yet"? It should be for the guy who is bankrolling the the EAT Foundation, which was started in 2013 with the main objective to persuade (or force) people to eat drastically less meat. So to answer "why not": because, he should be following the diet advice that his foundation wants everyone to follow or else he is a world class hypocrite.
It is not his foundation. He is not bankrolling the EAT organisation. His hotels have found it is not profitable to follow the diet and rescinded after a brief experiment.

It is his wife doing the business. She is vegan. She is stinkin rich, Her name is synomic with EAT,

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
It is not his foundation. He is not bankrolling the EAT organisation. His hotels have found it is not profitable to follow the diet and rescinded after a brief experiment.

It is his wife doing the business. She is vegan. She is stinkin rich, Her name is synomic with EAT,

Gunhild is rich because she married a rich man. She did not build the hotel chain - Petter did.

I disagree that he has nothing to do with the EAT Foundation. From their website:

"The Stordalen Foundation was established by Gunhild and Petter A. Stordalen in 2011, and is chaired by Gunhild A. Stordalen. The private foundation has supported mainly projects and organizations that work for a healthy and sustainable future, such as the European Climate Foundation, Lancet Commission on Climate Crisis and Zero Emission Resource Organization (ZERO). EAT started as an initiative within the Stordalen Foundation portfolio in 2013. The Stordalen Foundation is today one of the main funders of the EAT Foundation, established in 2016 with the Stockholm Resilience Center and the Wellcome Trust."

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gunhild is rich because she married a rich man. She did not build the hotel chain - Petter did.

I disagree that he has nothing to do with the EAT Foundation. From their website:

"The Stordalen Foundation was established by Gunhild and Petter A. Stordalen in 2011, and is chaired by Gunhild A. Stordalen. The private foundation has supported mainly projects and organizations that work for a healthy and sustainable future, such as the European Climate Foundation, Lancet Commission on Climate Crisis and Zero Emission Resource Organization (ZERO). EAT started as an initiative within the Stordalen Foundation portfolio in 2013. The Stordalen Foundation is today one of the main funders of the EAT Foundation, established in 2016 with the Stockholm Resilience Center and the Wellcome Trust."
I am not a veggie supporter myself, but I do think we need to make sure of our facts before blackening the name of someone who could sue the pants off us without blinking.
Neither Petter nor Gunhilde are vegan. Gunhilde is a vegetarian, Petter is not. But Petter is an environmentalist which explains his interest in FRESH and EAT etc. He did indeed set up their foundation for tax reasons probably, but I have nor found a single interview or video or press report that he follows a veggie WOE himself. Indeed he jokes about his wife being veggie. If you have evidence that he has taken up with this WOE or has spoken in favour of it or otherwise supported it, then please share it here. There is one picture of him at a World Veggie Day sampling a veggie dish, but not sat down at a veggie feast. I would not condemn him for that, since I too have sampled vegan and macrobiotic fare, but I do not wish to go down that pathway myself. As far as I am concerned it should be a matter of personal choice, and that should work both ways.

What is more telling is that Gunhilde admits that she has never, and probably will never try the EAT Planet diet. She has been dared to do so for a month, but has not yet taken up the challenge. I think that speaks volumes.

Webster has a nice simple definition of hipocrite
1 : a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion. 2 : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings.
I do not think either applies to Petter,

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am not a veggie supporter myself, but I do think we need to make sure of our facts before blackening the name of someone who could sue the pants off us without blinking.
Neither Petter nor Gunhilde are vegan. Gunhilde is a vegetarian, Petter is not. But Petter is an environmentalist which explains his interest in FRESH and EAT etc. He did indeed set up their foundation for tax reasons probably, but I have nor found a single interview or video or press report that he follows a veggie WOE himself. Indeed he jokes about his wife being veggie. If you have evidence that he has taken up with this WOE or has spoken in favour of it or otherwise supported it, then please share it here. There is one picture of him at a World Veggie Day sampling a veggie dish, but not sat down at a veggie feast. I would not condemn him for that, since I too have sampled vegan and macrobiotic fare, but I do not wish to go down that pathway myself. As far as I am concerned it should be a matter of personal choice, and that should work both ways.

What is more telling is that Gunhilde admits that she has never, and probably will never try the EAT Planet diet. She has been dared to do so for a month, but has not yet taken up the challenge. I think that speaks volumes.

1 : a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion. 2 : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings.

I think it does apply, to both of them. Owning and using a private jet yet telling the world that meat consumption is destroying the planet?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it does apply, to both of them. Owning and using a private jet yet telling the world that meat consumption is destroying the planet?
The original remark sprang from a picture in the Mirror of Petter eating a $20,000 burger (which could have been a fake meat burger?). As an environmentalist Petter is being hipocritical when he travels on holiday etc. However if they travel on business and are comissioned by a foreign power to make formal presentations, then their fuel is excise duty exempt, which is why they are globe trotters. I agree that they should respond to their role in their chosen following, but then they don;t really give a monkeys what we think.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables

I have not claimed in any of my posts that either of the Stordalens are vegans or even vegetarian. I have not said that the EAT Foundation's diet is vegan or vegetarian...because it isn't. So I definitely have not said that either of them need to be vegan or vegetarian in order not to be considered hypocrites. So I don't understand your argument or what you are accusing me of saying.

However, they did set up a foundation that funds an organization that was setup up for the purpose of getting the masses to eat only very small amount of meat supposedly for human health and the environmental health of the planet.

Using Mr Stordalen's money, the Eat Foundation tells people to "Go easy on meat consumption. While meat is an important source of key nutrients including protein, iron and vitamin B12, excess meat consumption can harm our health and the planet. Aim to consume no more than 98 grams of red meat (pork, beef or lamb), 203 grams of poultry and 196 grams of fish per week."

Mr Stordalen ordered a 20,000 calorie bacon cheeseburger while in Las Vegas. It was not a fake meat burger. It was an "Octuple Bypass Burger" (8 beef patties and 20 rashers of bacon). He's definitely not following the EAT Diet. And, as you stated, Mrs Stordalen doesn't follow the diet either (I'll take your word for it).

By funding the EAT Foundation and its diet, but not following the diet, they are putting on "a false appearance of virtue"...i.e. they are hypocrites.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The original remark sprang from a picture in the Mirror of Petter eating a $20,000 burger (which could have been a fake meat burger?). As an environmentalist Petter is being hipocritical when he travels on holiday etc. However if they travel on business and are comissioned by a foreign power to make formal presentations, then their fuel is excise duty exempt, which is why they are globe trotters. I agree that they should respond to their role in their chosen following, but then they don;t really give a monkeys what we think.
It was 20,000 calories wasn’t it? Rather than dollars.. you don’t get to be a billionaire wasting that sort of cash....

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It was 20,000 calories wasn’t it? Rather than dollars.. you don’t get to be a billionaire wasting that sort of cash....

Nah, being that rich means you get to order people to 'do as I say not as I do' apparently.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have not claimed in any of my posts that either of the Stordalens are vegans or even vegetarian. I have not said that the EAT Foundation's diet is vegan or vegetarian...because it isn't. So I definitely have not said that either of them need to be vegan or vegetarian in order not to be considered hypocrites. So I don't understand your argument or what you are accusing me of saying.

However, they did set up a foundation that funds an organization that was setup up for the purpose of getting the masses to eat only very small amount of meat supposedly for human health and the environmental health of the planet.

Using Mr Stordalen's money, the Eat Foundation tells people to "Go easy on meat consumption. While meat is an important source of key nutrients including protein, iron and vitamin B12, excess meat consumption can harm our health and the planet. Aim to consume no more than 98 grams of red meat (pork, beef or lamb), 203 grams of poultry and 196 grams of fish per week."

Mr Stordalen ordered a 20,000 calorie bacon cheeseburger while in Las Vegas. It was not a fake meat burger. It was an "Octuple Bypass Burger" (8 beef patties and 20 rashers of bacon). He's definitely not following the EAT Diet. And, as you stated, Mrs Stordalen doesn't follow the diet either (I'll take your word for it).

By funding the EAT Foundation and its diet, but not following the diet, they are putting on "a false appearance of virtue"...i.e. they are hypocrites.
I liken it to the CEO of Ford Motor Company parking his Rolls in the Executive Car Park at work, Morally reprehensible - yes , but not unusual for people of that standing to be so disconnected from their day to day business interests.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I liken it to the CEO of Ford Motor Company parking his Rolls in the Executive Car Park at work, Morally reprehensible - yes , but not unusual for people of that standing to be so disconnected from their day to day business interests.
I'm happy to hear that you agree with me.

Last edited: