is this normal

aard

Reading about diabetes type 2 one of the often mentioned symptoms is tiredness.
However I’m not sure what this means, a little sleepy, very sleepy.

If I eat too much carbs I will literally crash, what I mean by that is I will have to lay down, my mind gets very exhausted(but in a dif way to when you feel sleepy, hard to explain), feel like I’m going to faint, and often I will wake two hours later after presumably sleeping.

After doing some more reading, I’m beginning to think this is not what is meant by tiredness and my symptoms are more extreme? Is this normal behaviour for uncontrolled type 2?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading about diabetes type 2 one of the often mentioned symptoms is tiredness.
However I’m not sure what this means, a little sleepy, very sleepy.

If I eat too much carbs I will literally crash, what I mean by that is I will have to lay down, my mind gets very exhausted(but in a dif way to when you feel sleepy, hard to explain), feel like I’m going to faint, and often I will wake two hours later after presumably sleeping.

After doing some more reading, I’m beginning to think this is not what is meant by tiredness and my symptoms are more extreme? Is this normal behaviour for uncontrolled type 2?
To me, tired is when you did something and your body requires a rest. Fatigue, in my personal experience, is when you ache everywhere like you ran a marathon, and want to lie down (without having exerted yourself), while you're already laying down, and wake just about as knackered as when you went to bed, if you can sleep at all.

So yeah... That does sound very familiar, and if you mean with the mind thing, Brain Fog? <-- it has it's own little term, as you can see. And yeah, that happens if I have too many carbs, so I don't do that anymore. ;)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When my blood glucose levels are not in normal range, my brain tells me to just sit down as one of my symptoms, yes, I feel tired, lethargy and my brain function is impaired. Other than another few symptoms, I have just conked out. My energy levels hit the floor.
To have these symptoms is not the norm.
Your body is trying to adjust to your blood glucose levels and the imbalance because of the higher levels.

Best wishes

Keep safe

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told (at diagnosis) when I asked about the tiredness (which was much more than a little sleepiness, as above it meant lying down immediately), that it was due to the fact that the body could NOT process those carbs into energy because (in my case) there was no insulin available to do so. So, my body had NO energy and had turned to using fat to try and get some but clearly not enough. This had gone on for months. I would gather that the principle is the same for type 2s, the body cannot utilise any insulin it is producing generally, so again, the carbs cannot turn into energy. Could it be this?, but of course that scenario would mean high glucose levels too. What are your levels like? x

aard

ok, well this is good as it sounds normal (i mean the symptons) and I know I can stop it by eating right.

Using those strips (the accu ones) ones never seem to give any high reading even if im being naughty and drinking coke(i have a mild addiction To this)

However my hb1ac to tend to go up and down a lot also so i guess, i think highest was like 42 or 45 so not too high.

oh dear back to no carb diet now i can actually get food from shops...