Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hey all.

I finally got the Libre on Monday after years of asking because my diabetes control has been awful the last 4 years.

I had covid in Nov and since I've been unwell for a very long time and my diabetes control got worse - last hba1c was 110. I've been off work for 2.5 months with fatigue and nerve pain in my neck and shoulders and arms so I cannot use a computer. Having physio atm. They think my muscles deteriorated when I I covid and all my working and gaming and sitting has caused something to just give up.

I am absolutely loving the libre so far and all the data it gives cause I'm a nerd. And i feel very optimistic about improving my diabetes control.

However, just wanna check if this is normal.

When i woke up around 12:40, my scan was 6.9. Perfect! I went downstairs, used the toilet and my boyfriend scanned me because he didnt get a notification of my last scan and I had shot up to 10.8.

What's up with that? I'm also noticing tiny spikes in my sleep as well. I've heard of the dawn phenomenon but I thought that happened as a slow rise way before you wake up?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What's up with that? I'm also noticing tiny spikes in my sleep as well. I've heard of the dawn phenomenon but I thought that happened as a slow rise way before you wake up?
Some get dawn phenomenon before they wake and for some it may be a slow rise for some it can be one heck of a sharp rise (mine for instance often goes on a mountain climb starting at about 3am)
And some get Foot-on-the-Floor - ie a sharp rise as soon as they get up - maybe thats what you saw when its jumped for 6.9 to 10.8

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Ah I see!

This libre is going to give me so much information. There is definitely something wrong with my routine at the moment. I'm not sure if I need to increase my Lantus or not. I'm already on 36u at night which feels like a lot. My bolus doesn't seem to be covering my carbs and carbs seem to raise my sugar more than what I've always been told.

For example, I ate a snack bar 2 hours ago that is 15g carbs. I took 2 units of Novorapid and I'm currently sitting at 16mmol. :/

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah I see!

This libre is going to give me so much information. There is definitely something wrong with my routine at the moment. I'm not sure if I need to increase my Lantus or not. I'm already on 36u at night which feels like a lot. My bolus doesn't seem to be covering my carbs and carbs seem to raise my sugar more than what I've always been told.

For example, I ate a snack bar 2 hours ago that is 15g carbs. I took 2 units of Novorapid and I'm currently sitting at 16mmol. :/
The great thing about the Libre is that it tells you what is actually going on and you have the information to make the right adjustments. You realise just how bad carbs can be and the need to control them and have enough Bolus. Don't worry about unexpected peaks and trough during the night. Some foods such as fats can take hours to digest when taken with carbs.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

yep, similar to me. Can wake with a respectable BG & it can scoot up 3 points with “nil by mouth?”
I also get a similar trend if I have to drive a works vehicle or it’s been a saga of a journey?

probably explains why I don’t have hypo issues behind the wheel.